Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #1

Why does my A/C not cool the camper?!

The unit seems to be functioning, just doesn't cool the camper down as much as I think it should. It's a 15K unit and the air coming out is cold, but doesn't seem to be blowing hard enough out of the vents in relation to how loud the fan is blowing. I know it won't be freezing inside, but it should get cooler than 89 during the day. Current outside temp is 97 according to the weather channel.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

Could be construction debris in the tubes going to the vents.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

Mine is two years old and it spits out styrofoam giblets every time I turn it on. Heater too. Snow in summer!!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #4

My friend had the same problem with his 15,000 BTU. Follow this link to see how he solved his problem. Needed a new AC unit.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ure-83163.html
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Couple of things to add here / Are you camping under shade or under direct sun? 97 degrees under a hot bright sun could be well over 115 plus on the rv. My single a/c in my unit is not enough for camping in direct sun on super hot days. 10 degree drop could be the best under those conditions.

When the unit is hot I like to open the vents on the a/c unit itself to get a cold blast in the camper in one area.. May even open the roof vents just for a bit when doing the first cool down to help shove the hot air out..

10 to 12 degrees cooler is about all I can get in the sun on hot days if I remember right.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

I'm in direct sunlight until about 6 pm. Not many trees in this part of AZ. I think it's just too hot. I measured the air at the intake with a digital meat thermometer and it was 81.4. Air temp out of the vents was 47.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #7

Sounds like an air flow issue. Your exhaust is quite cold already.
I would make sure the duct work is clear and unobstructed.
On my new 5er, I had to remove the vents and retape the ductwork to the openings properly because it had been poorly done at the factory. There were many openings that caused the cooled air to vent into the attic which reduced the efficiency greatly. When I finished the fix, it helped a lot.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

One other area you might look into is ensuring all air spaces are tightly sealed. You can take on a lot of heated air around pipes or wires coming up from a sealed underbelly or basement. They can act like an oven superheating the air and forcing it up into your living space.

Using a vent pillow or similar in your vent openings will help reduce heat, as well as blocking out any skylights. Light colored fabric curtains over your windows (vs. mini-blinds) will also help.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I think you have a 33 footer? That a lot of space to cool so your going to have issues to deal with. Is your AC in the rear? Then close off the front when your not in there. That goes for the bathrooms too. Do you have a sky light in the bath area? Cover it (I use a combo thermal pillow). All of your vets need outside covers and inside pillows (screw handles removed). Small fans help circulate air. Does your AC have local diffusers? And, ducted vents? After you have cleaned the screen/filter and after you have verified the vented/ducted passage ways, try this. During the day open the AC diffusers, at night keep them closed. Also the stove exhaust fan has a flapper door that needs to be clipped closed when not I use. Finally, buy a heat sensor gun. It will help you find hot spots to deal with and it also will tell you the cool spots during the cold days. I read here someone was going to install an additional AC on the forward vent. We haven't heard from him (or I missed it). His RV was a 30amp unit so he was also installing an electrical outlet that would plug directly into the 20amp outlet on the power pole. Cover under trees play an important role for shade. Let us know how things are working for you.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewhitehead View Post
I'm in direct sunlight until about 6 pm. Not many trees in this part of AZ. I think it's just too hot. I measured the air at the intake with a digital meat thermometer and it was 81.4. Air temp out of the vents was 47.8.

As a fellow Arizonan, in June, in the sun, 97 degrees out, it's doing all it can. Pull the shades, better yet block the windows, but that's all you're going to get. Maybe block off part of your unit?
rzrnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM   #12

When it's 97 degrees outside and high humidity, run your fan on high, not auto. The fan will run constantly, the compressor will come on as needed. In the evening, turn the fan to auto so it will come on as needed. the A/C will be a lot more efficient and cool better.

Tom
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
When it's 97 degrees outside and high humidity, run your fan on high, not auto. The fan will run constantly, the compressor will come on as needed. In the evening, turn the fan to auto so it will come on as needed. the A/C will be a lot more efficient and cool better.

Tom
Just checked the humidity where I'm at in AZ and its 12%
Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #14

Most of the time I run a cool mist humidifier 24 hours a day when camping to get the humidity into the mid 30s at best
Old 06-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrnaz View Post
Most of the time I run a cool mist humidifier 24 hours a day when camping to get the humidity into the mid 30s at best
I'm not sure I understand why your using a humidifier and not a dehumidifier?
Am I missing something?

Humidifier = winter
Dehumidifier = summer

Never mind.......
I thought you were in a humid location.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #16

Arizona is a very dry desert. The rules from areas back east or up north don't apply. The humidity rarely gets above 20% no matter the season. This time of year it's below 10% much of the time. Low humidity is tough on your sinuses and cracks your woodwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #17

You are lucky. I'm in Alabama. The temperature is supposed to get to 99 degrees today with a humidity of 42%.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #18

Here you can get out of a pool in 105 degree weather and shiver because of the extreme evaporation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2015, 12:50 PM   #19
Utah Kid

Second air may help

I have a second air for the trailer, a 15 and a 13. I use it in hot S. Utah. Works just fine. Also use a small fan to circulate the air in the area I'm in. You might want to keep your shades down during the hot times of the day also.

Good luck!

RC
Roncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
Occasional campers

Evaporative coolers are common and effective indry climates. In humid locations like Alabama they're less than useless!
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper