Old 06-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
Weekend family campers

312QBUD

We just came from Arizona, New Mexico and West Texas. We had the same issue. A couple things that have helped us: fans, fans, fans. Put fans where you can. We have 9" ones that hang from the curtain rods and blew across the slide, and a big 16" fan blowing out our bedroom door. Air flow inside helps tremendously. Also, go to a home improvement store and buy reflective bubble wrap. Put this in all the windows. It comes in rolls and the width was perfect, we just had to cut lengths. It fits under the shades without securing. Make sure any shkylights have foam or reflectors in them.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:02 PM   #22

We had similar issues with our A/C and I found a tech that discovered the Tape sealant they used to separate the cold output from the hot return air in the A/C was lacking. Also found the ceiling ducts ran well past the last registers the full length of our motor home and one was open to the framing at one end. He resealed the "GUTS" of the A/C and wedged foam blocks after the last registers front and back and that made an obvious difference.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewhitehead View Post
I'm in direct sunlight until about 6 pm. Not many trees in this part of AZ. I think it's just too hot. I measured the air at the intake with a digital meat thermometer and it was 81.4. Air temp out of the vents was 47.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I do comical hvac work for a living there is definitely something wrong. Sound like you don't have enough air flow across the indoor coil with a 40 degree drop that shows lack of air flow. Any AC unit no matter how big from 1 ton to 160 ton you will only get a 20 degree differential from your rerun air to your supply air. So if your return air is 80 degrees your supply air should be 60 degrees give or take a few degress. Is your filter clean?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #24

Quote:
The unit seems to be functioning, just doesn't cool the camper down as much as I think it should. It's a 15K unit and the air coming out is cold, but doesn't seem to be blowing hard enough out of the vents in relation to how loud the fan is blowing. I know it won't be freezing inside, but it should get cooler than 89 during the day. Current outside temp is 97 according to the weather channel.
Did you figure out why your main breaker was tripping??

30A main breaker tripping
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #25

We're looking at a particular TT right now and the box is 30' long. This manufacturer does not offer a second air conditioner on that model and claims that one 15K unit is sufficient... They won't allow me to special order this unit with a second A/C so it looks like they are losing a sale... That sux because it's by far our favorite... and the next larger unit doesn't fit our needs. I've been through one period of 2 months living in it in Texas, in summer, and one A/C just will not cut it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #26

Make sure any shkylights have foam or reflectors in them.[/QUOTE]

Just watch that this doesn't build up too much heat in the sky lite it will cause cracking in the cover. Speaking from experience
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #27

Quote:
I'm in direct sunlight until about 6 pm. Not many trees in this part of AZ. I think it's just too hot. I measured the air at the intake with a digital meat thermometer and it was 81.4. Air temp out of the vents was 47.8.

thats a high split, id pull the grill and check for an air leak between incoming and outgoing air.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:52 PM   #28

My fan is in hi pretty much all the time. I keep the shades down plus reflectix in all the windows. I have a floor fan to help move air, bathroom exhaust fan on and I just bought some vent cushions from camping world. Current humidity in my area is 27% and 90 degrees. The fact that I have no shade is the biggest factor I think.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #29

I just some other replies after I posted. Filter is clean. Never did figure out why the main was tripping. I'm not an AC guy, so am I checking the return air where it sucks it back in at the filter?

Old 06-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #30

Well the vent cushions seem to have made a difference. At 1230 it was 78 inside, even though it's only 92 outside. Haven't had a chance to check the ducts to see if they extend beyond the last vent.

Tags
camper