Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Why does my A/C not cool the camper?!

The unit seems to be functioning, just doesn't cool the camper down as much as I think it should. It's a 15K unit and the air coming out is cold, but doesn't seem to be blowing hard enough out of the vents in relation to how loud the fan is blowing. I know it won't be freezing inside, but it should get cooler than 89 during the day. Current outside temp is 97 according to the weather channel.

2015 Surveyor Cadet 294 QBLE
jewhitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Could be construction debris in the tubes going to the vents.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Mine is two years old and it spits out styrofoam giblets every time I turn it on. Heater too. Snow in summer!!
2013 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison Tuned
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #4
My friend had the same problem with his 15,000 BTU. Follow this link to see how he solved his problem. Needed a new AC unit.
Dometic 15,000 BTU A/C Failure
Bill & Cindy McKenna
Philadelphia PA
2015 Palomino Puma 32DBKS
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Site Team
Couple of things to add here / Are you camping under shade or under direct sun? 97 degrees under a hot bright sun could be well over 115 plus on the rv. My single a/c in my unit is not enough for camping in direct sun on super hot days. 10 degree drop could be the best under those conditions.

When the unit is hot I like to open the vents on the a/c unit itself to get a cold blast in the camper in one area.. May even open the roof vents just for a bit when doing the first cool down to help shove the hot air out..

10 to 12 degrees cooler is about all I can get in the sun on hot days if I remember right.
Next year is here - GO CUBS- 6 more WINS to go
2014 LaCrosse 323RST-TE-C
2009 CHEVY 2500HD Silverado Z71
2016- 86 nights of camping
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #6
I'm in direct sunlight until about 6 pm. Not many trees in this part of AZ. I think it's just too hot. I measured the air at the intake with a digital meat thermometer and it was 81.4. Air temp out of the vents was 47.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #7
Sounds like an air flow issue. Your exhaust is quite cold already.
I would make sure the duct work is clear and unobstructed.
On my new 5er, I had to remove the vents and retape the ductwork to the openings properly because it had been poorly done at the factory. There were many openings that caused the cooled air to vent into the attic which reduced the efficiency greatly. When I finished the fix, it helped a lot.

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-23-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
One other area you might look into is ensuring all air spaces are tightly sealed. You can take on a lot of heated air around pipes or wires coming up from a sealed underbelly or basement. They can act like an oven superheating the air and forcing it up into your living space.

Using a vent pillow or similar in your vent openings will help reduce heat, as well as blocking out any skylights. Light colored fabric curtains over your windows (vs. mini-blinds) will also help.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker
I think you have a 33 footer? That a lot of space to cool so your going to have issues to deal with. Is your AC in the rear? Then close off the front when your not in there. That goes for the bathrooms too. Do you have a sky light in the bath area? Cover it (I use a combo thermal pillow). All of your vets need outside covers and inside pillows (screw handles removed). Small fans help circulate air. Does your AC have local diffusers? And, ducted vents? After you have cleaned the screen/filter and after you have verified the vented/ducted passage ways, try this. During the day open the AC diffusers, at night keep them closed. Also the stove exhaust fan has a flapper door that needs to be clipped closed when not I use. Finally, buy a heat sensor gun. It will help you find hot spots to deal with and it also will tell you the cool spots during the cold days. I read here someone was going to install an additional AC on the forward vent. We haven't heard from him (or I missed it). His RV was a 30amp unit so he was also installing an electrical outlet that would plug directly into the 20amp outlet on the power pole. Cover under trees play an important role for shade. Let us know how things are working for you.

Don & Dona W/yorkies Gizmo, Master Chief, & Tali
2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS 2015 Ford 6.7 XLT
2010 Full Timers & Still Going
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote