Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Why no medium setting on Duotherm Thermostat?

Why is it that all of Dometic Duotherm A/C's have 3 speed motors, yet the Single Zone LCD thermostat installed in many rigs, like mine, have only settings for high and low? Makes no sense to me not to offer the medium setting. Are the relays in the control box and the only limitation is the settings on the thermostat? I know that I would like to have a medium setting. When camping during the Summer we often eat lunch inside. Low allows the camper to heat up considerably during this time, yet high is so loud we can't stand it because the air unit sits a few feet over from the table. Any ideas on why Dometic would do such a thing????

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

Upon inspection of installation instructions

You can see that the medium fan connection is blank. Notice you have a yellow wire in position 3 coming from the motor(right), but that spot is blank coming from the control box(left). The ADB has a setting for medium, but not the ducted???

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tstat.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	19593   Click image for larger version

Name:	unit.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	19594  

Old 09-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #3

Maybe you want to wire hi to med since hi is that loud. You could put a switch on the unit to switch med hi.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice

but it's not that I need help "rigging it" to get a medium setting. I would like an explanation as to why Dometic would choose to offer a medium setting on the ADB installation but not the ducted. I can't imagine it would have cost more than the cost of a relay and some wiring- a few bucks, tops. Anyone out there "in the know"???
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #5

Best guess... Cost... The industry duotherm thermostat would have to be.engineered to have the med setting. Once they add that then why not variable control.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #6

I would guess cost as well. Just don't see why they didn't design the thermostat to have a medium setting in the first place- I am using the single zone LCD one. They obviously thought it prudent to design the ADB to offer a medium setting.