Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
They usually are not shut down with the bat. disconnect. Only off if you place a direct bat shut off on your cables.
And that is precisely what I did. The ONLY cable connected to the hot side of my battery goes directly to the disconnect switch. Everything else connects to the side of that switch which is de-energized when the switch is off.

I used to pull the negative cable but that was a PITA so I purchased and installed the switch myself so that I know there is no draw on the battery when the switch is in the Off position.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #22

Only had about three years on mine when it went. New one is going strong!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #23
Dryflycaster

A better question might be:

Does anyone know someone (Not heard of Someone) that was saved because they had one.

The only comments I've ever heard about one going off were about a false activation.

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #24

My propane detector has gone off every time I take the trailer out, and none of the times were propane related. It is a new detector and a new camper. It has triggered for low battery (several times) and detected such dangerous things as odor from the garbage can (best guess), campfires, incense and I think a few times it went off just to wake us up. It is so offensive that once it literally scared the poop right out of our pug.

When I got fed up with the false alarms, I pulled it from the wall and clipped the hot wire. Of course I capped it off to be safe. Since I understand that it is a safety "feature", I solved the problem by installing a switch right over it. Now when it triggers for false alarms, I just turn it off.

Before all the admonitions start rolling in, I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a man named "Aesop"?
seagrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
My propane detector has gone off every time I take the trailer out, and none of the times were propane related. It is a new detector and a new camper. It has triggered for low battery (several times) and detected such dangerous things as odor from the garbage can (best guess), campfires, incense and I think a few times it went off just to wake us up. It is so offensive that once it literally scared the poop right out of our pug.

When I got fed up with the false alarms, I pulled it from the wall and clipped the hot wire. Of course I capped it off to be safe. Since I understand that it is a safety "feature", I solved the problem by installing a switch right over it. Now when it triggers for false alarms, I just turn it off.

Before all the admonitions start rolling in, I wonder if anyone has ever heard of a man named "Aesop"?
So when it actually detects a propane leak, you flip the switch, creating a spark, igniting the propane. Mr. Charles Darwin would be proud.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post

Yes mine too. I am on our third one in 5 seasons. Pure junk. It's just so FR can say they put one in. I have gone many nights with it in-hooked. Ya, I know, but I did turn off the propane first.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #27

Forest river does not make the alarms. The same ones are used in almost all other trailer manufactures. We have had problems with them, have sent 3 back to the manufacture for replacements. They only have a life of aprox 5 years . The first one in mine was almost 4 years old and the MH was only 2 years old. Using up old stock. Finally got tired of them and went with ones for the home, Kidde brand, Have had no problems from them since.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Forest river does not make the alarms. The same ones are used in almost all other trailer manufactures. We have had problems with them, have sent 3 back to the manufacture for replacements. They only have a life of aprox 5 years . The first one in mine was almost 4 years old and the MH was only 2 years old. Using up old stock. Finally got tired of them and went with ones for the home, Kidde brand, Have had no problems from them since.
Exactly. All manufacturers use the same junk. Your life is dep0ending on this and it's the bottom of the barrel. It's this kind of thing that makes me hate the RV world. We have all been "taken in".

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
Site Team

I don't recommend disconnecting the CO/Propane detector, but if you insist, at least replace it with a stand alone CO and Propane detector. A quick search of the RV forums will show instances where they did save lives. An Rv is a relatively small space and it doesn't take long for either CO or propane to build to a dangerous level.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #30

I belive dust & dirt can set them off,,,
I may be repeating myself but I took a shop vac to one year's back,,,
And it helped !!! Still could never use Sprays like,,, hair - body or deodorant !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #31
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post

Does anyone know someone (Not heard of Someone) that was saved because they had one.

The only comments I've ever heard about one going off were about a false activation.
I can testify they work. We had one go off at 4am. We found a crack in the line going to our stove. It would have been a spectacular sight if the detector had not worked and we clicked the spark on the stove.
We replaced it with a detector for the home which has a longer life-span.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflycaster View Post

Some food for thought from another thread I previously started. This is why you never camp without one. Pinn, you will be able to relate to this one.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1290610

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Some food for thought from another thread I previously started. This is why you never camp without one. Pinn, you will be able to relate to this one.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1290610
This happened where we live....................I remember it in the local news. So Very Sad, and SO preventable!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
These detectors are crap. Plain and simple. I have had to replace mine every 2 years. Have called the manufacturer several times and no help. And of course Forest River is zero help. As with most things on our campers these are the absolute cheapest units to SAY they get the job done. Got woken up again 2 times last night. I give up.
Mine went bad within the first couple of weeks since delivery. We took the Flagstaff V-Lite out for a week's worth of travel and camping and, by the third night and constant noise (even with gas off, ceiling vents open, bathroom fan on, and all windows and door open for several hours), I clipped the red (+) wire powering the unit.

It will be replaced when the TT goes in next week for a few warranty repairs; if it fails after that, I will just buy a Kidde (or similar) unit.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:45 PM   #35
2012 Solera

Ours went off and alerted us when one of us apparently bumped a stove knob, turning it slightly on. Glad for the alert.
I have replaced the combo unit with separate CO and propane detectors. Same manufacturer of the propane detector, but seems better (no false alarms since I changed it out).
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My dog can set it off by belching or farting near it when sleeping.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
And that is precisely what I did. The ONLY cable connected to the hot side of my battery goes directly to the disconnect switch. Everything else connects to the side of that switch which is de-energized when the switch is off.

I used to pull the negative cable but that was a PITA so I purchased and installed the switch myself so that I know there is no draw on the battery when the switch is in the Off position.
X2
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
My dog can set it off by belching or farting near it when sleeping.
Time to change dogs?[emoji16]
Old 08-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
Time to change dogs?[emoji16]
Or maybe just dog food ???
When I was a kid I had a friend that had a Boxer,,,
That dog could make your eyes water,,, and clear a room in a minute !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #40

Yeah, that's another alternative hehehe
[emoji16]

Tags
propane