Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #41

Anyone had any experience with this setup. It looks good at a much more reasonable price. I've seen it listed at times for around $100 - 110.

https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-Camp-Pro...v+wifi+booster
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #42

WiFi Booster

I just bought Pepwave surf on the go and am pleased with the internet speed increase and the private network. Seems to work quite well....suprisingly

https://www.amazon.com/Peplink-Pepwa...surf+on-the-go
2flyingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Anyone had any experience with this setup. It looks good at a much more reasonable price. I've seen it listed at times for around $100 - 110.

https://www.amazon.com/WiFi-Camp-Pro...v+wifi+booster

The initial set up has to be done with a desk top or laptop computer with an RJ45/Ethernet Jack. Follow the instructions and it’s pretty straight forward to configure the router. Once configured you can then access the router control panel from your phone, tablet or your computer over WiFi.

One thing you need to know is that there is a lot of overhead when using the Camp Pro so if you can connect directly to a WiFi Network without it, you are better of doing that since the speed will be faster.

Where it does help is allowing you to connect to networks you otherwise couldn’t and slow WiFi is better is better then no Wifi..
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #44
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Right... not being techy at all what does that really mean? I also read they throttle it depending on local usage in that area and it may or may not be noticeable when or if they do throttle it.
It means each line only gets so much data that is shareable. I think they're all about 15gb. After that, it is either super slow (like dial-up slow) or you're cut off. I think it's the former, so they can still call it "unlimited".

The usage in a congested area is that the cell towers can't keep up. They'll dial you back after a certain amount of data. I find it's a non-issue, if the cell towers are that congested, the cell tower just can't keep up any way. An antenna or booster sometimes helps in that case. In my years of travel and 150gb/month usage on both AT&T and Verizon, I don't remember ever noticing that I was throttled due to network management issues. Slow service and slow towers- that was different and simply due to where I was camping at the time.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #45

Quote:
My suggestion is to become a “Mobile Internet Aficiando” at www.rvmobileinternet.com to get the preset updates on plans.

++++1000!...My subscription to this service has made me aware of the T-Mobile AND the AT&T Mobley services. Saved me a fortune.

Howard Forum also...
https://www.howardforums.com/forum.php
RB19RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlynxgolfer View Post
Thinking of buying a WI FI Boosting antenna for Rig. I have read in some camp
grounds when signal is a distance away this would help capture signal better.
Any thoughts.
Thanks
I’m going to interject here. I own a company that builds rv Park WiFi systems. I replace mom and pop WiFi setups all the time...

Anyway without a doubt a high gain antenna attached to an external access point, wired to an internal access point makes a huge difference. Not a repeater but an internal WiFi network.

The biggest problem is most cell phones, tablets, and computers have low gain antennas to save space and weak transmitters to preserve battery life. Which means the park access points can’t hear you. It has to be two way communication and boosting your rigs sensitivity and transmit power helps a lot.

This is the most common complaint I see multiple bars, but have no internet access. It’s because the park access points are poorly designed and can’t hear your device. Your fix is a better antenna and amp for,your devices.
thecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecastle View Post
I’m going to interject here. I own a company that builds rv Park WiFi systems. I replace mom and pop WiFi setups all the time...

Anyway without a doubt a high gain antenna attached to an external access point, wired to an internal access point makes a huge difference. Not a repeater but an internal WiFi network.

The biggest problem is most cell phones, tablets, and computers have low gain antennas to save space and weak transmitters to preserve battery life. Which means the park access points can’t hear you. It has to be two way communication and boosting your rigs sensitivity and transmit power helps a lot.

This is the most common complaint I see multiple bars, but have no internet access. It’s because the park access points are poorly designed and can’t hear your device. Your fix is a better antenna and amp for,your devices.

Great info! Can you give us an example of a product or setup like this for sale?

Thanks!
Hurseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurseyc View Post
Great info! Can you give us an example of a product or setup like this for sale?

Thanks!

I agree. That was explained well enough even a dumb plumber got it! Haha

Thanks everyone for all the great info and replies.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurseyc View Post

Thanks!

For me it was a simple as one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wirel...o+wifi+adapter

Get one with a Hi-Gain antenna to stack the odds in your favor. I put my "antenna" on the end of a USB extension cord and tape it to the inside of a window. Inexpensive and just follow the instructions.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I’m surprised your lease vendor is still operational. Do they give you a limit on the number of GB used? I know most went from unlimited to 200gb down to 100gb.

You’re right on usage. We tend to average about 150gb/month which is right about 5gb per day.

Is that hotspot data or cellular data too at 150 gigs. Last billing period me and granddaughter used 105 gigs of cellular data on two iPhones. 45 gigs of hotspot data on two iPhones plus Jetpack. She was only with us for 15 days in the period, I hate to think what it would be if she was with us for a whole period.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:37 PM   #51

Picked up a Rockwood Mini Lites & Roo brochure yesterday at an RV show and in the Popular Features section they include, as a Standard Feature, "WIFI Ranger WIFI Booster with a secure connection with your WIFI".
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:22 PM   #52
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Is that hotspot data or cellular data too at 150 gigs. Last billing period me and granddaughter used 105 gigs of cellular data on two iPhones. 45 gigs of hotspot data on two iPhones plus Jetpack. She was only with us for 15 days in the period, I hate to think what it would be if she was with us for a whole period.

150gb is just the hotspot data on the JetPack devices.

We then have data used on each phone as well (mine, wife’s, and daughter’s).
Old 03-03-2018, 07:00 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
150gb is just the hotspot data on the JetPack devices.

We then have data used on each phone as well (mine, wife’s, and daughter’s).

Wow, my Jetpack is only 15 gigs
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #54
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Wow, my Jetpack is only 15 gigs

Yeah. On Verizon, I have one of the old grandfathered unlimited lines. There was (maybe still is?!) a market were people would sell these lines. I bought mine for $900 and the seller transferred it into my name with Verizon. I pay something like $70/month for just the one line and it isn’t limited to 15gb.

At the time, it felt crazy to spend that much money. Now I’m glad I did! It has paid for itself in monthly savings over the plan that I was renting/leasing at the time.

I then have my 3 phones and 2 hotspot devices (one for me and one for my in-laws) with AT&T. They’re on an unlimited shared plan. That runs something like $300/month but my in-laws kick in the $20/month that their line costs me.

Thinking about it- since I switch between AT&T and Verizon Jetpacks depending on which is better, my use is likely over 150gb but I’ve never done the math.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #55

I have this model. It used to be much cheaper, but it works good. I pick up WiFi at my house that I know is a mile away.

https://www.ccrane.com/item/ant_wifi...epeater_system
bubbubouy is offline   Reply With Quote