Old 07-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #1

wifi booster

I was wondering how many on the forum have a wifi booster? What kind do you have, what do you think of it, where you'd get from, what it cost and how is it attached to your RV? Happy Camping

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #2

wifi booster

I have one by WifiRanger. Inside the camper, I have the Go2 router. Outside/on the roof, I have their Elite antenna attached to my TV antenna.

I love the internal router and single point of managing my internet source of all of my devices. I rarely use (and have actually disconnected) the external antenna. Most RV parks have decent wifi *networks* so connecting isn't an issue; the issue is that the Internet behind their wifi sucks donkey kong's buttocks. It's so slow, it isn't worth me even trying to connect to.

I bought straight from WifiRanger with a discount code from www.rvmobileinternet.com. I spent something like $600 and wouldn't buy the external antenna again (saving $200 or so).

As mentioned, the antenna is attached to my TV antenna and the wires come in the house through my fridge vent.

ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Here's a write up of my setup:

http://www.learntorv.com/2016/04/cel...rks-oh-my.html
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

Belkin WiFi Repeater

I bought a small, square Belkin WiFi 300N Extender/Repeater from Wal-Mart for $40.00, and loosely placed it on the roof of my Micro Lite 21FBRS. It is powered by a household extension cord plugged into an exterior receptacle. It picks up WiFi signals from 60 to 200 feet away dependent upon obstacles and weather conditions. WiFi signals are based upon line of site transmissions. If you can see the transmitting antenna, you can pickup the signal if not too far away. Also, if you are at a park, WiFi signal strength depends upon how many others are tapping into it, and whether they are streaming music and movies. I have learned which park RV sites are closest to WiFi antennas.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #5

I saw the wifi ranger on youtube, not sure I want to go that much for a system I'd only use a few weeks each year. I've been to some RV parks that I could see the parks system from my MH but the signal strength was very low on my laptop and if enough people were signed on you could get dropped. Thanks for the info on your site.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
Herschel

wifi booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I know it has been a little while since you posted this, but I just bought one of these boosters:
Rocket USB WiFi Amplifier- Range Extender - Pdq Connect 7002-KIT - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World
then I watched this Utube video on the installation of one of these:
utube installation of RV Internet booster - Bing video
I am expecting the booster in a few days and will attempt my install. You seem to have this down to a science. Any "do's" or "don'ts" before I sail into unchartered waters?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

Looks like a pretty easy install, I had looked at this booster when I was inquiring about them. So far I still have not committed to getting one. We didn't get out this summer so haven't had a chance to look things over a little more. Let me know how this works out for you. Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
DDC

I got this set up at the Goshen Rally from Technorv, Alfa Wi-Fi USB Repeater R36 router and the WI-FI Booster tube, their step by step instructions are nothing short of GREAT, haven't had the chance to try it yet at an rv park but it works great at home.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Canadian Contingent

I bought a Netgear N300 Wifi Extender and put it to use. It increased my signal from 2 to full bars. $39.00 CAD on sale. Simple set up.
Nothing you can do about the campgrounds bandwidth if everyone is on but it works great for signal strength.
Here's a link.
https://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-N300-R.../dp/B004YAYM06
Old 09-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Herschel

Internet booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Looks like a pretty easy install, I had looked at this booster when I was inquiring about them. So far I still have not committed to getting one. We didn't get out this summer so haven't had a chance to look things over a little more. Let me know how this works out for you. Good Luck.
I decided to set up a semi-temporary install for the Wi-Fi booster antenna until we see how it works and what it does for us. The kit came with the antenna, mounting bracket for a pole or stanchion, software, and a 15 ft. USB cable. We wanted to be able to rig it if needed, but just keep it stowed unless it was needed. That necessitated a collapsing pole that could be extended as needed. A West Marine boat hook expandable to 12 feet fit the bill perfectly. I bought two mounting brackets for the boat hook that are typically used with boat hooks and did a vertical mount in the “corner” that the slide makes with the main body. The cable is easily slipped through the slide rubber gasket when the slide is half way out. There is about 6-7 feet of cable to work nicely to the other side of the dinette table where the computer is typically set up. Not sure if I would call this rig “elegant” as far as solutions go, but the cost was well below an hour’s labor at Camping World. My wife will go to work on the software package for the antenna and configuring her computer for the antenna. Remember, this is not rigged when the RV is moving. It is set up as part of the site set up when the campground Wi-Fi is not very strong or we are not in a good site for a strong signal.
[IMG]
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/MSCUSNR1996/20160914_122015_resized.jpg[/IMG]

Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote