Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #1

WiFi Booster antenna and location

In final stages of researching the addition of a WiFi booster to our MH. Leaning towards the WiFi Ranger unit and attaching it to my rear ladder. I do not have a batwing pop up tv antenna (I would have attached it to that). I am wondering how stable the antenna will be as I drive down the road? Any thoughts?

Am I making a decent choice by going with the WiFi Ranger? They have the packs and the non pacs. I am thinking the non-packs since I do not need USB/cell tethering (in addition it saves me a couple hundred bucks)

Thx

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Using a Verizon hot-spot only, haven't found a need for anything else......at this time
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
In final stages of researching the addition of a WiFi booster to our MH. Leaning towards the WiFi Ranger unit and attaching it to my rear ladder. I do not have a batwing pop up tv antenna (I would have attached it to that). I am wondering how stable the antenna will be as I drive down the road? Any thoughts?

Am I making a decent choice by going with the WiFi Ranger? They have the packs and the non pacs. I am thinking the non-packs since I do not need USB/cell tethering (in addition it saves me a couple hundred bucks)

Thx
You are making the only viable choice for reliable WiFi boosting. I have researched this extensively, and TechnoMadia (a couple that tests hi-tech gear for the road) on the Escapees forums recommends this unit as well.

Do you have a Satellite dish on your roof? You could mount the ladder pack there. I know others without a dish have used the flat mount pack with success. The issue you will have to deal with is where to route the cable from the antenna to your tech closet (where your router will live). The one factor you need to keep in mind is that the Antenna is 13" tall, so this will add another foot+ to your overhead clearance (this is why I want to mount ours to the satellite dish--when the dish is not deployed, the WiFi antenna will be on the dish laying flat on the roof).

Cell boosting technology is "almost" ready for prime time. The problem with the WiFi Ranger solution is that in order to get the boosted cell signal, you have to tether your phone to the 3G/4G booster. That makes usage rather inconvenient.

I have devised a work-around that I will use if cell boosting technology has not advanced to non-tethered use: Pair a bluetooth phone with the Cell Phone, tether the Cell and have the other phone in the MH to use to make and receive calls. I will probably use this:

Amazon.com : VTech DS6511-2 DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone with Bluetooth Connect to Cell and Caller ID/Call Waiting, Silver/Black with 2 Handsets : Electronics

Hope this helps -- remember the critical factor is watching how high your clearance is and taking that into consideration when you mount your antenna.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Using a Verizon hot-spot only, haven't found a need for anything else......at this time

It's really 2 different things. The WiFiRanger doesn't really do much to boost your cell signal. What it does is give you more WiFi flexibility and expands the quality of the wifi network that the hotspot creates. What you might not know- once you get past about 10' from your hotspot (and maybe less if there's a wall in the way), your performance and speed slows down. What the WifiRanger also does is gives you a single network inside of the camper if you have multiple devices - you can switch everything over to different networks quickly and easily. Plus, it lets you poach free hotspots or get around device count limits (for instance, I bought "premium internet" at the last campground but it only allowed 3 devices at a time-- with the WiFiRanger, I was able to support 7-8 devices).

As for the OP- the WiFiRanger is a great product. I bought it for its ease of use and simplicity of setup. BamaBob is a pretty over the top that it's the "only" product. I know of others that work equally well for other people for a lot less money.

However, I think you're looking for the "FM" / "flat mount" from WiFiRanger to support your roof needs. I wouldn't bother with the ladder.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

I have devised a work-around that I will use if cell boosting technology has not advanced to non-tethered use: Pair a bluetooth phone with the Cell Phone, tether the Cell and have the other phone in the MH to use to make and receive calls. I will probably use this:

Amazon.com : VTech DS6511-2 DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone with Bluetooth Connect to Cell and Caller ID/Call Waiting, Silver/Black with 2 Handsets : Electronics

I own this and use it on a regular basis. It's good *except* that it doesn't have a headset jack/port. Just as well since because I bought a Bluetooth one that connects straight to my phone, but the headset jack would have let me buy cheaper headphones. Might not be an issue for you.

The other annoyance with this is texting as you can't get text messages to anything but your devices specifically.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #6

wifi booster

I had one for my 5th wheel and it was attached to the TV batwing antenna using tie wraps. Mine was the 3ft antenna booster outside with the router unit inside connected by a 10-15 ft cable, run thru the bath fan shroud. It had no problem staying in place while traveling. It would not have a problem staying in place if attached to rear ladder while traveling, keeping it somewhat low to avoid low bridges.
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Cheaper options available

We hear awesome things about the Wi-Fi Ranger as well, but unfortunately, they are just too expensive for some people. There are some less expensive options out there that also allow you to boost a Wi-Fi signal and share the signal as a "hotspot" in your RV. We use the Alfa products as they are more affordable, yet still reliable. We have the desktop booster which my husband takes with him everywhere his laptop goes (clubhouse, pool, you name it), and we have the booster tube mounted outside along with the USB repeater set up inside the RV. We've yet to go somewhere it hasn't helped immensely, and we are fulltimers. https://www.technorv.com/RV_WiFi_Boosters_s/85.htm
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

The other annoyance with this is texting as you can't get text messages to anything but your devices specifically.
Well Doug, if you would come to the light and use a iPhone/iPad/MacBook your TXTs would be automagically mirrored to all your devices from your iPhone (and you can reply from them as well
Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
As for the OP- the WiFiRanger is a great product. I bought it for its ease of use and simplicity of setup. BamaBob is a pretty over the top that it's the "only" product. I know of others that work equally well for other people for a lot less money.
Not over the top. The Elite WiFi Ranger has a proven performance advantage to its closest competitor (Rogue Wave). Like Technomadia said in their review: "If you are looking for a full integration of cellular back haul capabilities, as well as a wide variety of other more sophisticated networking capabilities then the WiFiRanger is probably your device of choice."

It has been our experience (and a couple other friends who have experimented with various WiFi boosters) ANY WiFi booster will work well with a decent WiFi signal. When you get out in the wild with flaky signal transmission and other atmospheric interferences (or you want to poach that free WiFi signal that is a mile or so down the road ) Units like the WiFi Ranger Elite or Rogue Wave really are the only games in town if you want reliable connectivity.

The reason I prefer WiFi Ranger is the Elite unit is specifically designed for a RV whereas the Rogue wave is designed for Marine uses. Not really a critical factor I know, but it works for me
Old 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Well Doug, if you would come to the light and use a iPhone/iPad/MacBook your TXTs would be automagically mirrored to all your devices from your iPhone (and you can reply from them as well
Yeah, but then how do I keep my wife from seeing my sexts with my girlfriend?!
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #11
Left Coast

Get her her own phone.........(password protected) move her chair over?
Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #12

Spent a week in Outer Banks NC where the only WiFi available was near the office. PIA using the iPhone 6 small screen. Will be in FL for a month where WiFi is available in certain areas. I prefer to be online late and in my 5er. Also, may do a Walmart stop once in a while. Doubtful any booster will work so thinking of a Verizon Hotspot.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
Left Coast

Mine's work'n fine! (Verizon hot-spot)
Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

I appreciate all of the thoughts and opinions... will pull the trigger this week. Did get my 53dB Cell booster installed.. that is a bigger needs vs WiFi.

USN-R '01-present
Old 12-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #15

Looking at the ranger elite fm.

All my devices are wireless..

I see the " pack" gets you a four port router.

What do you get without the " pack"?

Will " pack-less" work for wireless only?

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #16

If you do not need the ports or the ability to connect in the USB/Cell to share that signal then just the antenna will work. I am down to either the Elite, Elite FM or Sky2(the sky2 is low profile and I am concerned the 15" is going to be likely to take a whack by a limb. If I love the sky2 and I "wish" I have more range, I will transfer the sky to my home (I share the internet with my neighbor anyway) and get the Elite

USN-R '01-present
Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #17

So, without the router, does it still broadcast inside the rv?

There still has to be a " box" inside.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #18

[QUOTE=bob caldwell;1065181]Using a Verizon hot-spot only, haven't found a need for anything else......at this time[/QUOTE

X2 ----Use it at home & on the road!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

X3-----on the Verizon hot spot!
Old 12-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #20

I need wifi.
Cellular gets a tad expensive with a cdn cell phone!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!

Tags
antenna, cat, location