Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

WiFi Ranger & IP WebCam for backup camera

I just bought a new 2019 Rockwood 2507S. It comes with a WiFi Ranger.
I am thinking about taking advantage of that to do a wireless IP Camera setup for a backup camera.

If you are not familiar (I am just learning), the WiFi Ranger is in effect a wireless router that has permanently installed antennas on the roof of the camper. The idea is that you connect all your wifi devices to it and then the WiFi Ranger can connect to wifi hotspots like campgrounds or Xfinity or somesuch. It also acts as a firewall. It is supposed to provide strong signal strength for your devices and the antennas can reach Wifi hotspots at a greater distance.

I am thinking this is the perfect setup for a wireless backup camera.
I have used some old spare Android phones as IP Webcams at my home so I am familiar with IP WebCam software in general. That won't work for this as I want a permanent and proper camera on the back of the camper.

The advantage of the WiFi Ranger is that it provides its own network for locally attached IP devices. I should be able to connect a wireless camera on the back of the camper and then have a smartphone or tablet in the truck show the live stream through free IP Webcam software.

I haven't taken delivery of my camper yet (later this week) so I can't confirm some things...

Some Questions...

1) does the wifi signal strength of the WiFi Ranger extend well enough such that it will have good signal to my F150 truck? It is supposed to be for campsite (outside) so it should. I will confirm and report back

2) does the WiFi Ranger work on 12 volt power when towing? I think so. I will confirm and report back

3) what is a good wireless IP camera that is suitable for outdoor use (mounted on the back of the camper) that has 120 degree view and is at least 720 p, and runs on 12v power?

4) what is the easiest way to get power to the camera? Is there likely to be some powered device on the roof of this camper that I can steal 12v power from?

Thanks!
JKMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #2

Good thinking - Should work. Any more than two-second delays might cause headaches. Will be interested to hear how it goes.
What about a Go-Pro camera, or a camera that runs on batteries.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
Good thinking - Should work. Any more than two-second delays might cause headaches. Will be interested to hear how it goes.
What about a Go-Pro camera, or a camera that runs on batteries.
Thought about that but I want to set it up so I don't have to worry about it. It would be a pain to get up to the camera to deal with charging it.

I don't think there will be any 2 second delays. That's what I was getting at since it is all on the same local network within the router. No round trip to some internet based server. It's not like a Ring doorbell...

One thing I did just think about. The video feed needs to be "Mirrored". This means that the image is backwards - like you would see if you were looking in a mirror. Backup cameras built into cars and trucks do this. If it didn't, you would see cars approaching on the right but they really are on the left...

The good news is that the IP Webcam software packages (I just learned) commonly allow you to mirror the image. Phew...
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

Shouldn't you be able to connect two devices without the WiFi Ranger Finder?
What about Bluetooth functionality?
No expert here, but, I would think your phone and a bluetooth camera would work, or maybe, a second phone setup as the camera -viewed using the same tech?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Stanley View Post
Shouldn't you be able to connect two devices without the WiFi Ranger Finder?
What about Bluetooth functionality?
No expert here, but, I would think your phone and a bluetooth camera would work, or maybe, a second phone setup as the camera -viewed using the same tech?
Bluetooth is not strong enough to go from the end of a 26 foot trailer - through all the camper stuff - into the truck.

There are are wireless backup cameras like what Tadibrothers provide. I believe they use stronger RF transmitters to deal with this. They don't require a wifi network because it is all included. Seems to be a reasonable way to go - especially when you don't have a strong WiFi network to work with.

But, since I do have a strong WiFi local network (WiFi Ranger), I have other, and potentially much cheaper options.

Just looking to see if anyone else has attempted what I am suggesting and what the pitfalls may be.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

Anything here that might help you:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...em-180290.html
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #7

I believe the WiFi Ranger runs on 12v. It gets a good signal, enough, good enough to do what you’re wanting to I think. I haven’t tried it since I had the dealer install an observation camera as part of my purchase.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #8

Garmin and BC-30

Been thinking about adding a backup camera to my Garmin (2589LMT). Supposedly, it can work from 45 feet. An "extension" is available, which I assume will allow placement of the transmitter further away from the camera.

The camera unit is a BC-30 at ~$100, which would be a cost effective addition. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Robabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #9

I'm no expert on the network the wifi ranger creates, but i recall when i had one, i needed an internet signal of some sort (whether cellular or from the park) to create the wireless network - granted i did not have the model with the router.

i think its a great idea, and hope it works - but I'm skeptical it will. if it works as you believe it will, I'm sure wifi ranger would be using this as an added feature to go with their system, and would have already thought to sell you an overpriced wifi camera to make it work.

just my thoughts. but looking forward to whether it works for you!
Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #10

What you are describing is expressly easy and a much better setup than any of the non-Wi-Fi cameras. Furion type cameras have to transmit from the rear of the trailer all the way to the almost front of the tv. The setup you’re contemplating only has to send the image maybe 15-25 feet to connect to the Ranger and then the Ranger only has to send the signal less than 35 feet. Using a Sharx/TriVision camera displaying via an iPad app delivers beautiful images at 1920x1080 resolution with a delay of well under ½ second

https://www.amazon.com/TriVision-HD-...-1-spons&psc=1

I use a Netgear router which is 12 volt and have never seen a disconnect during use (on previous 32 foot toyhauler, current 32 foot MH and current 38 foot LQ horse trailer behind a long bed dually). Internet connection is not required at all, although I recently created an internet connection by connecting the cellular enabled Jetpack. The internet and camera signals come from the same router but are totally independent of each other.

I don’t have a WiFi Ranger but I’m pretty sure it’s 12 volt. The camera is 12 volt and has continuous record to an SD card. No app needed to setup, just connect with the camera one time only via a Ethernet cable and it remembers everything after that with no cable. Instructions are included to set a reserved IP address in the router. Connect via the IP address with any browser and change mirroring, vertical up or down, contrast, etc etc. you can also download the previously recorded video there.

It appears from pictures of the 2507 there is a camera mount prep on the back. That means it is already wired for 12 volt which activates with the running lights.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by primo20 View Post
I'm no expert on the network the wifi ranger creates, but i recall when i had one, i needed an internet signal of some sort (whether cellular or from the park) to create the wireless network - granted i did not have the model with the router.

i think its a great idea, and hope it works - but I'm skeptical it will. if it works as you believe it will, I'm sure wifi ranger would be using this as an added feature to go with their system, and would have already thought to sell you an overpriced wifi camera to make it work.

just my thoughts. but looking forward to whether it works for you!
Wi-Fi cameras are far superior to the latest crop of dedicated observation cameras using gigahertz technology. And, Wi-Fi cameras are usually less expensive than the others. A $110 tri vision has triple the resolution quality than a Furion.

The drawback is Wi-Fi setups require just a little “computer” skill where the others are plug and play.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #12

I have a Wifi Ranger in my MH. The ranger runs on a DC power input from (12 volt DC power converter module or 110 Volt AC power block ). The ranger provides a WIFI network that does not require a Internet connection to setup. So when I'm on the road all my linked devises can talk to each other. When come within range of a wifi Internet connection. All I have to do is link to the Ranger to wifi Internet connection and all my devises are automatically has Internet connection. With that, there are some Parks that only allow one or two devices per site. With the Ranger, all they can see is a single device linked to the park.
ImQAJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #13

Thumbs up Garmin BC-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robabco View Post
Been thinking about adding a backup camera to my Garmin (2589LMT). Supposedly, it can work from 45 feet. An "extension" is available, which I assume will allow placement of the transmitter further away from the camera.

The camera unit is a BC-30 at ~$100, which would be a cost effective addition. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I used the BC-30 as a backup/observation camera with a Garmin 2598LMT on a previous 32' Class C and it worked well in that regard without any need for any "extension".

(Sold)2016 Sunseeker 3010DS

TOADs: Honda CRV and Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4 x 4
lakewood90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
What you are describing is expressly easy and a much better setup than any of the non-Wi-Fi cameras. Furion type cameras have to transmit from the rear of the trailer all the way to the almost front of the tv. The setup you’re contemplating only has to send the image maybe 15-25 feet to connect to the Ranger and then the Ranger only has to send the signal less than 35 feet. Using a Sharx/TriVision camera displaying via an iPad app delivers beautiful images at 1920x1080 resolution with a delay of well under ½ second

https://www.amazon.com/TriVision-HD-...-1-spons&psc=1

I use a Netgear router which is 12 volt and have never seen a disconnect during use (on previous 32 foot toyhauler, current 32 foot MH and current 38 foot LQ horse trailer behind a long bed dually). Internet connection is not required at all, although I recently created an internet connection by connecting the cellular enabled Jetpack. The internet and camera signals come from the same router but are totally independent of each other.

I don’t have a WiFi Ranger but I’m pretty sure it’s 12 volt. The camera is 12 volt and has continuous record to an SD card. No app needed to setup, just connect with the camera one time only via a Ethernet cable and it remembers everything after that with no cable. Instructions are included to set a reserved IP address in the router. Connect via the IP address with any browser and change mirroring, vertical up or down, contrast, etc etc. you can also download the previously recorded video there.

It appears from pictures of the 2507 there is a camera mount prep on the back. That means it is already wired for 12 volt which activates with the running lights.
Good info. Thanks!

I checked the camera you referenced and it seems that is a 60% angle viewing area. I was looking for wider to make it better for seeing cars in the lanes next to the camper. I was looking for 120 degrees.
Has 60 degrees been enough?

Also, the camera mount prep you referenced... Is that on the top or on the back side? It has power? That's awesome if it does. then I really just need to mount the camera and not run any wire from the camera.

Looking to pick up the camper on Friday. I'll know for sure then.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMiner View Post
Good info. Thanks!

I checked the camera you referenced and it seems that is a 60% angle viewing area. I was looking for wider to make it better for seeing cars in the lanes next to the camper. I was looking for 120 degrees.
Has 60 degrees been enough?

Also, the camera mount prep you referenced... Is that on the top or on the back side? It has power? That's awesome if it does. then I really just need to mount the camera and not run any wire from the camera.

Looking to pick up the camper on Friday. I'll know for sure then.
I’ve never seen a camera with only 60 degrees. I believe they meant 60 degrees each side.

Check your PM box.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #16

Ok, a partial update.

I have the new camper and the WiFi Ranger works fine for this purpose.
I was unsure as to what I was actually getting. It turns out the WiFi Ranger that I have does not seem to have a separate router box - or they have concealed it in an inaccessible nook or cranny. I doesn't really matter though.

It was relatively easy to set up an IP camera as a static IP address on the WiFi Ranger's configuration page.

They hid the place in the setup by making you select an option to show advanced settings.

I haven't actually finished the project. What I did was to take an old smart phone and installed IP WebCam on it. This turns the smartphone into an IP Camera (Wifi camera).

Then, I used another smart phone and installed the IP WebCam Viewer on it.

Then, I connected both to the WiFi network on the WiFi Ranger.

Just to be sure it was all working with good signal, I did a somewhat silly test.
I duct-taped the IP WebCam phone to the mount for the backup camera on the camper.
Then, with the the IP WebCam viewer running up in the Pickup truck, I saw it all beautifully with no dropouts.

That was all just to test the signal strength of the network. I shouldn't have worried. the signal bars for the WiFi from the WiFi ranger was maxed out on both phones - the one in the truck and the one duct-taped to the back of the camper. I was just geeking out a bit.

So, I now need to find the WiFi (IP) camera that will be good for permanent mounting on the back of the camper. I still can't find what I am looking for.

What I need is a camera that:
- runs on 12 volt
- is very waterproof
- has at least 120 degree wide angle

I wish Furrion sold a camera that was just an IP camera so I could take advantage of the nice factory installed Furrion camera mount that my camper has....

So, anyone know of a good camera for this?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewood90 View Post
I used the BC-30 as a backup/observation camera with a Garmin 2598LMT on a previous 32' Class C and it worked well in that regard without any need for any "extension".
Thanks! I bought the BC-30. I'll try it out as soon as it warms up. LOL.
Robabco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #18

Another update...

I was waiting until I got it all done but I am stuck at the 1 yard line.

I got this camera: Luowice Wireless 180 Degree Panoramic Security Camera

I also got this bracket: Haloview Backup Camera Bracket Adapter Compatible with Furrion Pre-Wired RVs

Turns out the bracket was not the right one for this model of Furion bracket.
But, the power wire adapter was correct - and needed.

I decided to take off the Furion plastic mount altogether and mount this camera directly to the back side in the same spot. Yes, I have some new screw holes and I needed to fill the old ones but that is no biggie for me.

The wires that are part of the camera fit inside the hole in the back of the camera .

I found out that the process for getting the camera set up with the WiFi Ranger was not that simple with this camera.

I don't know if this is common but the only way to get this camera to work over WiFi is to first connect the camera via Ethernet cable to the WiFi router. Then, the Computer based interface or the smart phone app (which is using the same router) will see the camera and connect to it.
After this connection is done once with the Ethernet cable, you can detach it and use it wirelessly.

Here's where it got tricky.

The WiFi Ranger does not have any Ethernet ports to connect to.
I have seen on the web where some models of this WiFi Ranger come with a standard router complete with Ethernet ports. Mine does not.
I even removed my Microwave to see if it was hidden back in there (the antennae wires go to the roof above the Microwave). I could see the wires for the WiFi Ranger and there is no router. It must be all built into the circuitry on the roof where the Antennas are.

So, how to get around this? Set up a bridge between your PC (that has a Ethernet port) and the WiFi Ranger.

This got me past that setup step.

I also went to the WiFi Ranger's configuration page and found the new camera and changed it to use a Static IP address so I could count on a specific IP address for the camera every time it connects.

So, now it works well.

The app that comes with the camera provides an interface to control the frames per second and the picture quality.

I changed it to the max 25 frames per second and lowest quality.

It still is very good quality.

It does a very good job. No dropouts ever. No lag.

The view takes me from almost at my bumper of the camper to over the horizon. So the 180 degree fisheye is good.

I am using a old and big smartphone (Samsung Note 3) for the viewer in the truck.
I have a big loop of Velcro that I mounted to the back of the phone and use that to loop around the back of the rear-view mirror in the cab. Might as well, that spot is useless when a trailer is behind you. Works great.

So, what's the 1 yard line reference?

The app that comes with the phone does not have a flip (or mirror) mode so I can see what I expect when I view what's behind me.

There has got to be an alternative camera app that will work with this camera that supports that. I have tried a half-dozen of them and can't get any other app to connect to the camera...

So, does anyone have a suggested WiFi Camera app? One that says it supports a Luowice camera?