Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
Site Team - Lou

WiFi Ranger Roadblock

Well, I was all excited about the WiFi Ranger that came with the new camper until I tried to connect it to my Windows 10 Home Network.

While I can get internet on my camper's Windows 10 running Intel NUC, I can not see any other computers on my network like I could with my Netgear range extender/router.

Emailing Dave Hicks at WFR Support has not gone so well (so far). Seems I need to use "Fusion" for file sharing and so far all the "How To" videos deal exclusively with MAC/Apple networks. He said they do not support the Fusion tab on the Ranger. I am on my own.

I have not given up. but the frustration level is building.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

I have no idea if it would solve your issue but could you just use the WiFi Ranger to bring in a good internet connection and use the Netgear extender between it and your computer? Asking for a friend.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
I have no idea if it would solve your issue but could you just use the WiFi Ranger to bring in a good internet connection and use the Netgear extender between it and your computer? Asking for a friend.
The issue is I want to connect the camper to my Windows based home network to share files between the camper and the movie file server and other PCs at home.

The WiFi Ranger is acting like a firewall preventing the exchange of data between the computers at home and the computer in the camper. It is solely a wireless access point and amplifier that connects to our router's WiFi signal. The PC in the camper can not "see" folder shares on the other home computers; just internet access. It may be a Windows 10 share issue after upgrade to version 1083 (still working that) or something in the Ranger settings that is preventing the shares to be seen.

Tech Support was talking about setting up a Fusion shared drive, but what they installed was a Sky3 WiFi Ranger that apparently does not have that capability.

Back to the drawing board. Still have not given up yet.

I will keep this thread updated as I progress.

Herk
Old 09-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #4

Try putting the up of the pc in the dam if the WiFi ranger. That should take it from the firewall.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
Try putting the up of the pc in the dam if the WiFi ranger. That should take it from the firewall.
IP? and where?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a WifiRanger, so I don't know for sure, but from what I've read (mostly from Doug's posts) it acts more like router than an extender. If it's just for loading from home, I'd consider just using what you already used before while at home. When on the road, then use the Ranger.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

Often my Win 10 PC's do not see each other, but they will see another computer if I use the address of that computer... like
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

So it turns out that Win10 Update 1083 "broke" home network shares.

MS knows about it, but so much finger pointing is going on that no one has taken point to fix it.

There is a work around:

Make sure you go to Windows add/remove features and turn on all SMB check boxes.

Go to "Apps and Features" and on the right side of the screen is "Related Settings" and right below that is "Programs and Features"; click that.

Then on the left side of the screen is "Turn Windows Features on and off"; click that.

Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and click all the boxes under it.

Also click on SMB Direct (right below the File Sharing).

It will load the missing files and you will need to restart.

That will get file sharing working.

Then I got this from WiFi Ranger's actual engineer.

You've had an update to your case Want to connect to home network (# 1629) on 2018-09-05 15:45:47:
Awfeed Isho said:
Lou,
I do apologize for the confusion, the FUSION network is for completely a different purpose, what you are trying to accomplish is sharing between your devices and this can be done simply if all the devices are connected to one network. It does not matter whether or not they are windows devices- the ranger is simply acting as a router in this scenario.

I don’t know how you have your home network set up, but what you can do is connect the wifi ranger to your home network to use that as an internet source ( I am) . After that connect all your devices to your ranger to create one network where the sharing can be accomplished (not possible as yet).

To enable sharing on your Windows computer, follow the steps below (this will need to be done on each device which is participating in the sharing):

Step 1: Open Control Panel. Step 2: Choose View network status and tasks under Network and Internet. Step 3: Select Change advanced sharing settings in Network and Sharing Center. Step 4: Choose Turn on file and printer sharing and save the changes.

If any device that you are trying to reach is not connected to the ranger and is connected directly to the ranger, they will be on separate networks and other steps will need to be taken in order to enable one device to allow for another device on a separate network to access its files. This would require the knowledge/ expertise of a network admin to set up- in receiving advice from such a person, he can treat the ranger as any other high-powered router. Most of the work however in that kind of set-up would be setting up a server or the protocols necessary for sharing between networks. There are plenty of options for sharing files however, it is a matter of personal preference.

Again I apologize for the mix-up, I hope this clears things up (as mud). If you have any other questions, we would love to be of assistance.

Awfeed Isho
WiFiRanger Support
Support@WiFiRanger.com
wifiranger.com/support
(208) 321-5544

In my case having my hard wired file server connected to the Ranger's net is out of the question. Refocussing my attention on getting the Ranger to see the hard wired PC directly.

More updates as I discover how to do this.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Often my Win 10 PC's do not see each other, but they will see another computer if I use the address of that computer... like
The SMB fix will allow you to stop doing that.

The problem I have now is that the Main PC is on 198.162.1.XXX net and the Ranger's computers are on 10.132.101.XXX (The Ranger Net).

Convincing the Ranger that it is OK to hook up the Main PC's shares is the next step.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

would it be easier to change Ranger's range of IP addresses to the 192.168 range from the 10. range?

I have done that with other routers...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
would it be easier to change Ranger's range of IP addresses to the 192.168 range from the 10. range?

I have done that with other routers...
Looks like that is a "no".
I wonder if I can change the Netgear to the Ranger? ...
Old 09-06-2018, 05:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Well, I was all excited about the WiFi Ranger that came with the new camper until I tried to connect it to my Windows 10 Home Network.

While I can get internet on my camper's Windows 10 running Intel NUC, I can not see any other computers on my network like I could with my Netgear range extender/router.

Emailing Dave Hicks at WFR Support has not gone so well (so far). Seems I need to use "Fusion" for file sharing and so far all the "How To" videos deal exclusively with MAC/Apple networks. He said they do not support the Fusion tab on the Ranger. I am on my own.

I have not given up. but the frustration level is building.
Herk
I would recommend using an online file sharing service for several reasons:

1. You will be able to sync the folders/files you want and will be able to get to them from anywhere (not just home).

2. The files will be backed up off site in case there's ever a issue at your house or with your PC.

3. You can share the files with family and/or friends.

We use Microsoft One Drive. It's $6-7 bucks a month for 1 TB of storage and comes with MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.). You could use Google Drive or Dropbox just as easily.
Campgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campgonzo View Post
I would recommend using an online file sharing service for several reasons:

1. You will be able to sync the folders/files you want and will be able to get to them from anywhere (not just home).

2. The files will be backed up off site in case there's ever a issue at your house or with your PC.

3. You can share the files with family and/or friends.

We use Microsoft One Drive. It's $6-7 bucks a month for 1 TB of storage and comes with MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.). You could use Google Drive or Dropbox just as easily.

Come to think of it, I already use a file share service for a different purpose.
Using it to move stuff to the camper is not too great a stretch.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 AM   #14

I spend too much time at work working on computers, so when I go home I try to keep things simple. I have a 2 tb portable usb drive. I copy the files I want to it and then take it out side and plug it in the camper. Using a service like one drive is good as long as your internet is fast enough. Out in the country where I live it would take a week to copy a movie to the cloud and back down.

2016 Nights camped in wildcat(14) didn't count previous trailer
2017 Nights camped (44)
2018 Nights camped (29) that's too low. Must work on it.
maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Resileo Sync should be fast enough to transfer files to the driveway.
I will set that up tonight.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:11 AM   #16

A one drive type solution is probably the quickest, easiest answer. I'm just reluctant to have to pay for something else. How 'bout setting up an sftp server in your home network accessible only via login/password from outside your home network? You could even get real fancy and splurge for a verisign "certificate" so when authenticating you would know it's your sftp site.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

https://www.resilio.com/individuals/

Resilio Sync is free for individuals and it turns out works great for syncing my movie files to the camper's server!.

Ranger problem solved; (except for printing to the wireless printer).
Looks like print-to-PDF and Sneaker-net when at home and the little HP Deskjet for traveling.

Marking this one solved.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #18

I've been using One Drive and I also have a couple of WD My Cloud drives at home that can be accessed just like One Drive to get around networking issues but like maskins said, you need fast internet so I take files with me on a USB stick just in case.

The only thing that worries me about One Drive is the email I got from Bill Gates that said "all your files are belong to me". [emoji33]
Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
https://www.resilio.com/individuals/

Resilio Sync is free for individuals and it turns out works great for syncing my movie files to the camper's server!.

Ranger problem solved; (except for printing to the wireless printer).
Looks like print-to-PDF and Sneaker-net when at home and the little HP Deskjet for traveling.

Marking this one solved.

For printing try Google Cloud Print (free)

Tags
lock