Old 04-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thumbs down WiFi Ranger Sky4 Review: Totally Unimpressed

Totally unimpressed. My 2019 trailer has the sky4 ranger, the latest and greatest supposedly. Just synced everything today with my home wifi system, which is dual band. The ranger will only show and connect the 'slow' band, which I believe is 'n' protocol. 'ac' protocol has been out for many years, and is way faster than 'n'. Many wifi devices like smart tv's and every Apple device are capable of connecting to 'ac'. Yet this sky4 ranger does not have this capability. Boooooooooo!!!!! Somebody with Forest River must be in bed with somebody from this company.

So in my driveway, it is better to connect directly to my home router via the '5G' (ac) band. What good is this thing? To amplify stinky b/g/n wifi? Why bother? I have heard campground Wifi typically stinks. So if you amplify bad WiFi, does it stink more? lol.

This seems like a total waste of money for Forest River to be installing these, which new owners will be footing the bill for.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Totally unimpressed. My 2019 trailer has the sky4 ranger, the latest and greatest supposedly. Just synced everything today with my home wifi system, which is dual band. The ranger will only show and connect the 'slow' band, which I believe is 'n' protocol. 'ac' protocol has been out for many years, and is way faster than 'n'. Many wifi devices like smart tv's and every Apple device are capable of connecting to 'ac'. Yet this sky4 ranger does not have this capability. Boooooooooo!!!!! Somebody with Forest River must be in bed with somebody from this company.

So in my driveway, it is better to connect directly to my home router via the '5G' (ac) band. What good is this thing? To amplify stinky b/g/n wifi? Why bother? I have heard campground Wifi typically stinks. So if you amplify bad WiFi, does it stink more? lol.

This seems like a total waste of money for Forest River to be installing these, which new owners will be footing the bill for.
Kind of what it does. Amplify isn't the best term, repeater is better.

Better connectivity does not equate to better internet per se.
It just solidifies the connection to whatever you are connecting to.

And yes, most campground wifi is NOT meant for high speeds and streaming TV. Some are looking to do better as the digital age progresses but many simply don't have the broadband available for 100+ folks. Those that do, often charge a premium for it, which I have no issues with.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

It just really, really, surprised me this latest offering does not have 'ac' WiFi capability. When I called the company this afternoon to confirm after initializing system, I was on hold for a very long time, even though I was 'caller 2'. But I was determined, and held the line, before the call finally terminated and gave me the opportunity to leave a message. Of course, hours later and nobody has returned my call. So bad product, bad customer support.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

I rarely use mine. If anything I will hotspot my phone. As a repeater itís fine...which is simply making the connection to CG WiFi that is usually anemic to start with. Just donít expect anything more than that.
2009 Ram 2500 5.7/3:73
cmac7203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #5

FWIW, the Sky4 isn't the latest or greatest. It's the lowest product MITO makes currently, in fact it seems to be the only one without 'ac.'

https://mito-oem.com/mobile-internet-solutions

But as mentioned, I've never seen fast campground wifi anywhere unless you're at an urban/suburban campground. Camping out in parks or at forest campgrounds they have limited internet availability, some even using satellite internet, so the lack of 'ac' wifi support shouldn't really make much difference. Except for you while at time.

We have better luck using cell phone hot spots when needed.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

DieselDrax, my fault for thinking this is the latest tech, as the previous generation in my line of trailer was the Sky3. BTW, for what it's worth, somebody finally did call back from tech support, but since caller ID said 'Idaho ans", I didn't know who it was and didn't answer. They left a brief message. So for fun, I called back, was on hold for a long time as 'caller 2' (again! always 2nd place!), and the call self-terminated again. ugh. I guess I will be using the cell phone hot spot like you do.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Mine worked once, now it won't connect at all.
dbaumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:51 AM   #8

I have had good luck with the Ubiquiti Nano Station in conjunction with the wifi on steroids. The Wifi on steroids is set to my phone hotspot, but when I don't have service I connect the antenna and set it to the wifi of the facility. The wifi on steroids serves as my router for the camper in both cases and allows me to use all the devices I want.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 AM   #9

There are a couple of twists with WiFi technology that come into play here: Distance and speed are in a somewhat inverse relation (actually true for any radio based communication). Same for the carrier frequency, 2.4GHz reaches farther than 5GHz. So N or even G standard will have better chances at connecting to the campground WiFi. The blazing speeds that AC promises are only possible in very favorable situations, only AC devices active, no other WiFi networks close etc..
The other angle is that having Gbps wireless speeds is pretty useless if the Internet connection is 10s or maybe 100+ Mbps. While I have a couple of AC routers in my stash my home runs on a pair of N routers because they are rock solid.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #10

My 2020 5er is on order. My questions are - if I purchase the Verizon sim card for Sky 4 will that allow me to stream on TV ?. Does Verizon look at this sim card as another phone line (like a hot spot) and want to charge me. ? Are the TV's in the new 5ers ready to go or will I need Ruku stick? Can I just use my hotspot from cell phone to stream? Thanks in advance!!

Jimer is offline   Reply With Quote