Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 PM   #1

Wifi ranger, ugggggg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7713.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	180281

I think our wifi ranger is about to die.

Its always disconnecting.

Tested with horrible campground wifi. (1x1 if lucky)

Tested with rock solid 40x20 verizon hotspot. (I dont think i have ever seen faster!?)

With appletv, rokutv, 2 ipads, 2 iphones.

The wifi ranger eventually just pukes. I cant connect to it. I end up having to go reboot it by flipping the switch on wall off.

We are in our 48th day of camping at 4 different campgrounds using this thing. Frustrating.

I just upped my verizon bill to go “beyond unlimited”. ($$$!)

If i connect everything directly to my iphone hotspot, all is smooth, zero issues.

One problem with routers, they get hot. All routers do. This one is on the roof open to blazing sun?

Personally, i would have mounted the router inside and extended an antenna to the outside roof. I dont care if it “can handle the elements”, it still gets hot, its a router.)

Another issue with residential routers, they don’t have enough cpu/memory.

Ive been spoiled. I have a sonicwall tz 400 sitting in storage. I miss it. lol

Is this just normal? Should i contact wifi ranger and ask them for help?

I’d just like it to work as it was sold as “awesome”. Im less than happy with it. Sigh.

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #2

One other note, i am in complete shade at the new campground, thankfully. And it is still having these issues.

James
Old 07-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

I haven’t had those issues, the only I’ve seen so far is poor performance. I can get 50/25 on my hotspot , but with ranger connected to hotspot and going through it, I’m below 10 on my downloads.. I’ve been mainly using it as a marker at night..
Old 07-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team

I would call mfg and ask for suggestions even if just for future reference. Having been on the roof of my TT in the sun, there is no way I would put the electronics there. I would have added a length of good coax and mounted the electronics in side. The small loss in the coax would easily be compensated for by the increase in gain of the electronics. Heat is the #1 enemy of electronics.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
I haven’t had those issues, the only I’ve seen so far is poor performance. I can get 50/25 on my hotspot , but with ranger connected to hotspot and going through it, I’m below 10 on my downloads.. I’ve been mainly using it as a marker at night..
ha! I actually turned the light off in the cp so it would "cut down" on heat. But that is an interesting idea to look for the light on top of the RV. Maybe there is a purpose for this thing...

As for the performance, yes, I am seriously unhappy with the performance. I would have thought this would have much better performance. I just don't think it has enough mem/cpu. I'd be interested to know the actual specs. Since this came with the RV, I don't have any manual for it. I suppose I could go grab the pdf off the wifiranger website or something. Anyway, it really doesn't matter. It just sucks.

James
Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I would call mfg and ask for suggestions even if just for future reference. Having been on the roof of my TT in the sun, there is no way I would put the electronics there. I would have added a length of good coax and mounted the electronics in side. The small loss in the coax would easily be compensated for by the increase in gain of the electronics. Heat is the #1 enemy of electronics.
Yep. heat = death to electronics. I used to use a usb fan to sit on top of my routers at my home to keep them cool. You get a bunch of teenagers streaming netflix and youtube or playing games and that router can get quite hot.

That said, if this router can't handle 2 devices streaming youtube or netflix at the same time, it's a garbage router. I've had a LOT of garbage store bought linksys routers in my time. speed keeps decreasing, kill power, speed returns. Not enough mem/cpu.

James
Old 07-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #7

We have that problem when I have multiple phones / tablets trying to stream videos....
I don't think they can handle the demand and they will drop.
No problems when demand is low...

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
We have that problem when I have multiple phones / tablets trying to stream videos....
I don't think they can handle the demand and they will drop.
No problems when demand is low...

like some insurance companies... they work great when you don't use them... lol

Well that was my suspicion as well. I'll go complain to wifi ranger. Maybe there is something they can do or if there is some sort of upgrade... cause this one is super slow and drops or stops working only after a short period of watching a movie or doing anything other than clicking "send/receive" on my email. That's unsatisfactory.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #9

We have Roku and Netflix on board and have no problems watching a movie...
Problems start happening when I have two people playing games online and I watching YouTube videos....
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #10

The WiFi Ranger 4 has two antennas. I wonder if performance from that on is improved?
RFishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #11

I have a wifi ranger elite . That device is only able to allow 4 wifi devices to connect at one time . If you have your phone wifi on as well as other devices, phones, iPads ,roku etc then things will get kicked off or the ranger may reboot. Turn off the wifi of any devices you are not actively using. I recommend you review the use instructions on the web site if available and also check the address of the control panel screen for your individual ranger. make sure the parameters for connection and device management are configured correctly for your needs. We find our ranger useful if stopped near free wifi. With a little practice you can pull up the main screen, see all the towers in the campground and speed test them to find the fastest one that may allow streaming video.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #12

Mine did not start working right until I regestered it.
JoeyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyL View Post
I registered mine right away and started exploring it's features. I've gone ahead and just got the VZ unlimited plan and then got the iphone/ipad to hdmi connector and I can stream anything I want via hardwired hdmi cable. I've given up on the wifi ranger. It can't seem to handle multiple devices on it. At least not the sky3 oem version mounted on the roof. And when it is working well, the connection is nerfed and not as fast as a direct connection to the wifi. In my book, it's a fail and disappointment. 1/2 star if that. I was really sold on it's virtues, but I see it's not much better than an expensive under powered residential router that can't handle even a little bit of streaming. Maybe I'll do what another suggested and just turn the light on so I can see my trailer at night. lol! An expensive night light. (for that feature, 5 stars)

James
Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyL View Post
Joey,

I noticed that was post #1! I'm honored you stepped out on my thread to make a comment.

Happy posting and camping!

James
Old 08-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #15

For all you who have these... How do you turn it on??? Where is it located. They told me that I have this on my 5th wheel but told me nothing about how it works or anything
KRBJMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRBJMPR View Post
For all you who have these... How do you turn it on??? Where is it located. They told me that I have this on my 5th wheel but told me nothing about how it works or anything
Since you don't have your 5th wheel's info in your profile, I suggest posting your question in your brand's sub-forum, instead of a General section.
Those that own your brand or model will be a lot more helpful since you need model-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
On mine there is an UNMARKED power switch on the control panel...
Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 PM   #18

Quote:
My wifi ranger "button" is on the control panel with all the other on off buttons.

I have the wifi ranger sky3 OEM. I don't even use it anymore. Personally, If I had the choice to save $300 and not have it, I'd choose that option.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #19

Same here... my wifi ranger switch is unlabeled per se on the main panel. There is a wifi-ranger sticker under the panel, underneath that switch.

The wifi ranger they put on these rigs is the cheapest in that line. The antenna is of the 'rubber duckie' type. Not a long range strong antenna... a longer 9dBantenna would be better.
I haven't been up top to see if the antenna unscrew and can be replaced.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote