Old 07-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #1

Will this work? Refrigerator replacement

I'm fed up with my Dometic RM2351 fridge! Our camper is a 2014 Coachman Clipper 17FQ and it's a small fridge. Local RV shop just informed me they charge $129/hour for diagnostic work. For $129, I can pick up a 120 volt mini fridge that will fit in the spot. For another $89, I can purchase a 1000watt inverter to keep it running while hooked to the truck. We don't boondock and never plan to, so the fridge is either going to be on shore power or hooked to the truck. I can wire directly to the battery, stow the inverter in a cabinet or behind the fridge and leave it on all the time.

Will this work? Will the inverter survive being on all the time? When hooking up to shore power will I need to turn it off and plug fridge into 120 outlet? I've just had it with propane fridges!!!!

thewheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:00 AM   #2
Head Rambler

What you propose should work fine. However, I'd get an inverter with a transfer switch so it would switch when on shore power. It may cost a little more, but it'd be worth it in the long run.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #3

Will this work?

It will work fine but the power consumed may be high. Even though you never boondock an extended time at a resturiant or movie might be hard on the batt.

If you have start batts and house batts as long as the start batt is not powering the inverter while the engine is off, you should be fine.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

We have a res. ref. and have run it 7 hours on inverter.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewheelman View Post
I'm fed up with my Dometic RM2351 fridge! Our camper is a 2014 Coachman Clipper 17FQ and it's a small fridge. Local RV shop just informed me they charge $129/hour for diagnostic work. For $129, I can pick up a 120 volt mini fridge that will fit in the spot. For another $89, I can purchase a 1000watt inverter to keep it running while hooked to the truck. We don't boondock and never plan to, so the fridge is either going to be on shore power or hooked to the truck. I can wire directly to the battery, stow the inverter in a cabinet or behind the fridge and leave it on all the time.

Will this work? Will the inverter survive being on all the time? When hooking up to shore power will I need to turn it off and plug fridge into 120 outlet? I've just had it with propane fridges!!!!

We did just what you are proposing to do. We installed an 11 cu.ft. fridge only, in the kitchen and a small freezer in the outdoor kitchen. They are both on the inverter. You will just need some good deep cell batteries and as mentioned, I would get the transfer switch.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #6

If you never boondock and don’t “normally” drive more than a couple hours...I personally wouldn’t worry about the inverter.
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #7

We never boondock either, and most of our trips aer less than 2 hours,

BUT........

Once a year we usually take and extended trip which entails some LONG travel days, sometimes several in a row.

IMHO the inverter, With the switch is the best solution. Fridge stays cold; truck always has a good battery for starting.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #8
Lacey's Spring, AL

if you're always 'plugged in', why would you even need an inverter?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #9
Lacey's Spring, AL

also, though, remember that removing your current fridge may not be as easy a task as you might think - you may have to remove your whole entrance door from it's frame in order to get the 'old' one out, and the new one in... before you then have to replace the door and reseal it.

all in all, though, it's not a bad idea - you may even find that you have much more room to put in an even much taller 'apartment' fridge, like we did = MUCH more fridge room!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:27 AM   #10

I thought most inverters have a transfer switch built in.

You plug them into a 110 circuit. Then run two wires to the battery. Plug the fridge into the inverter. Easy!

The problem with residential fridges is getting them in the door.

I would get the biggest fridge that fits thru the door and fits in the hole!

Shallow depth refrigerators are called “counter depth”.

You have to take the doors off.

Plugged into the tv a cheap 12 volt battery in the rv might only power the fridge for a few hours. More bigger batteries are the trick.

tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, replacement