Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Windjammer Satellite

I bought a dish network 1000.2 on a tripod for Florida. I will probably mount it solid to the rv ladder or bumper but for now I've been messing with it here in IL to find out how the Windjammer is wired up and so I wouldn't be in the dark once we get to Florida.

I fought this dish for 2 days. The mast was perfectly level. I took a vip211 receiver out of my wife's sewing room to use.

Just when I was ready to throw the whole thing in the trash I decided to ignore all the instructions.

Got the RV dish aimed. All I had to do was ignore the azimuth and elevation numbers both from the dish receiver and from dishpointer.com. They were different by the way but neither was right. At least they had the skew right.

I had to go about another 13 degrees east and another 5 degrees up in elevation.

Once I got it working outside under my covered shooting area I turned everything off and carried the receiver box inside to the windjammer living room and put the bedroom tv I was using to test things back in the windjammer bedroom. After I got it hooked up in there it worked great. And a bonus is it carries right through to the bedroom tv with no signal loss, I just have to watch the same channel from the dish.
I figured there'd be a splitter or rg59 cable in the way to muck up the signal, but no. Haven't been able to see if I get good reception on the outside tv connection under the awning because it was raining and I didn't want to put the awning out and I didn't want to pack the bedroom tv back outside.

Told wife I was happy about not having to pay another $89 for a receiver and another $7 per month to activate it and that I figured we could get by watching the same channel everywhere.

She didn't sound convinced. "Well I'm glad it's working and it's good for now anyway, I guess we'll find out later"

Sounds like an $89 receiver and another $7 per month is in my future.

KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #2

I have Direct but if you are not right on with the azimuth and tilt and elevation then you will get nothing. Dish might be different. I have Dish Tailgator that I don't use right now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #3

My wife, who hardly ever complains, was talking about the dish again this morning.

"Can I watch the local channels on antenna while you watch the dish"?

No. Not unless I rewire some stuff.

"Well I don't like that, I need to see the local news and weather"

I said I'll just go outside while you watch the news and weather, you surely don't need to watch them 24 hours per day.

Success can turn into failure so quickly.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #4

If I want to watch local channels I just turn off the dish and raise the camper antenna and turn on the antenna booster

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
If I want to watch local channels I just turn off the dish and raise the camper antenna and turn on the antenna booster

She wants to watch locals while I watch satellite in another room or outside.

Tags
satellite, windjammer