Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #1

WINEGARD Carryout G2+DirecTV R16-300 reciever

We have a 2016 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351 THSS toy hauler and just bought a Winegard carryout G2 and got a DirecTV R16-300 receiver. The directions from Winegard APPEAR to be brain dead simple.....................

I have the sat plugged into 12V power source, coax ran directly from sat to receiver, and no signal according to receiver. I have moved the sat everywhere humanly possible including directly in front of the sat that is mounted to our house. Still no signal. I then put the sat on roof of trailer which is the highest point around and NO obstructions from the southern sky, still no signal.

Am I a moron? What am I missing here?

THANK YOU in advance for your input/wisdom!!!
Gil
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

I downloaded the manual and it is not much help. I know on my HR24 receiver, during initial setup there is a screen that allows you to change the type of satellite antenna that you are attached to.. ie an oval dish HD versus a round dish SD. Have you gone through the complete setup procedure and looked at all of the setup screens that normally, once set you do not have to fool with anymore?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #3

Is it possible it is set for Dish instead of Direct?. There is a setting inside to switch between them.
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes there are dip switches that need to be changed depending on if your using direct or dish.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
Rick and Sandy Dyer

You can call winegard and they will help you. Make sure you read the settings for direct and your TV. That is critical!! HDMI cable makes it very simple

Rick and Sandy Dyer

2016 Cardinal
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

I just purchased the same dish and it comes already preset to Direct if you bought it from Winegard. If by chance you got the wrong dish you will have to reset the dip switches but that is highly unlikely. I just bought the same dish and the installation and use was flawless. I called the number at Direct and they walked me through the setup after getting information from me regarding my account. It appears from what you are describing that your TV is not receiving the signal. Do you have the input set to Direct TV? I used an HDMI cable which made the hook up relatively simple. When you hooked up your power cable you should have heard the motor inside the dish moving around trying to locate the satellite. My advice would be to call that number and they will walk you through the process and troubleshoot any potential problem. BTW is works beautifully.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #7

Did you do step 5 of the DirecTv guidance?
Select 3-LNB (18x20), Select "Multiswitch" under the switch selection.

By their guidance, the DirecTv dip switches are preset by the factory.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

The bottom line is call Direct at the number provided and they will walk you through this. Have patience it's worth it.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

Does your unit have two outputs if so only one is a master that controls the dish. Also do you have it hooked up to power. I have the older one and getting it setup the first time was a pain after though it was easy.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #10

Call Wineguard and they will walk you thru the setup. I had trouble and they were very helpful and walk me thru the first setup.
utahlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #11

satelite selection

Gil
Quote:

I then put the sat on roof of trailer which is the highest point around and NO obstructions from the southern sky, still no signal.

Gil
Another thought is when you indicate that you don't get a signal, are you looking at all of the satellites in your satellite setup screen? With DirecTV you can only view the Standard definition satellites, not the High Definition ones. So the G2 only "sees": DIRECTV Satellites: 101° or 119°. Even then, it will not see all transponders, only some are active. Satellites 99, 103, 110 for instance likely will not show as receiving a signal.

You can use an app on your smartphone such as "Dish Align" to find the direction for just those satellites and set your dish to be able to see the horizon in the indicated direction.

The previous guidance about antenna type is also spot on.

Another tip, once you get it working, go into the Display/Preferences on DirectTV settomgs and select the option to only display SD channels (Hide HD Channels). This will save sifting through all of the HD channels and inadvertently selecting one of them.
Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
Winegard G2 Portable Satellite
qwkzotc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

I have one and it is working great. However, after it worked for almost a year, it lost signal. Contacted Winegard and I had to use a shorter cable - 50ft instead of 100 ft. After changing to the shorter one, it worked great and I am getting my signal through huge oak trees.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #13
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Just yesterday I hooked up an Anser to the TV. I could not have done it without being on the phone with a great gal at Winegard for 45 minutes. A couple of key take aways are 1. Use the HDMI cord 2. Make sure your TV is tuned to HDMI 3. Make sure the receiver is configured correctly, that's where the gal came in and helped me configure it.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #14

I have the G1. The fist receiver turn out to not be compatible with my carry out. It is not high def (neither are my eyes so what's the point). I exchanged the receiver for one that was listed on directs web site and all is well.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #15

Thank you all !!!!!

Turns out my wife was right and I am a moron!!! Lol

I called DTV this evening and they activated the receiver.........
About 10 seconds later it was working.
gilwilliams101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard