Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
jlf

Winegard HD Roof Satellite Prep

We will be picking up our 2014 Forest River 33rl on Thursday the 12. YEA!!! I have a few questions. What size tv is in the living room? Also I know I have asked this before just hoping three times is a charm. On our FW that we are trading in we had stationary moving view. We actually had two. And they both work great. I wish we could take off dish and hook up to new Silverback. My husband is freaking out because he doesn't want to put holes I the roof. So he has decided to looking get a form of carry out satellite dish. We want a dvr in the LR and one in the BR on each of the DVRS we want to record one show while watching another.does anyone have this set up on their RV. Lastly, what does Winegard HD Roof Satellite Prep mean? Thanks for any help
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #2

What Satellite provider have you been using? I assume you'll be sticking with them?

To meet your requirements, there are no "automatic" sat dish setups available (at least none that I'm aware of). I suppose you could buy an in-motion roof mount like you had and just not "roof mount" it, but that's extremely expensive.

You will need to buy a dish and tripod system suitable for the provider you use. I'll provide more details once you tell us who that is.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
jlf

'Winegard HD Roof Satellite Prep'

Thanks Barry. We use direct TV There are a few dishes out there that are both motion and stationary. Like I said before we had the movin view stationary. Loved it pulled up to a site flip a switch and within 10 minutes it was finding the satellites. Even thru trees at ft wilderness. We have 2 DVRs one in LR and one in BR. Now I just got a email from Lazy Days service and they said with the tailgater, you do not need a dvr. I am having hard time believing that.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
Now I just got a email from Lazy Days service and they said with the tailgater, you do not need a dvr. I am having hard time believing that.
As well you should! The Tailgater doesn't even work with DirecTV at all, and even if you were on Dish, while you can add a hard-drive to the receiver to make it think it's a DVR, it can only record and watch on a single channel (eg, there is only one tuner). Finally, unless you were to buy two Tailgaters, you couldn't have receivers in both the LR & BR. Ok...sorry for that diversion.

You need to buy a DirecTV dish and tripod. Make sure the dish LNBs are SWM technology (assuming your current DVRs are). (What model are they by the way?)

You need to be mindful that you need different equipment for Hi-Def vs SD TV.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
jlf

Thank you so much for the help. We actually have an extra dish from our house. When we went to put the Moving View on our Fleetwood Regal back in 2008, camping world had a hard time understanding what I wanted. This was our second Moving View. But after many questioned asked from the tech, they did it correctly. So for five years my hubby has been able to watch his fishing and tape his home improvement show in the living room. And I can watch Dance moms on one channel and tape my soap operas on another. The only problem we could not get CBS NBC abc on satellite. We would have to switch to antenna which was a bummer. Hopefully whichever system we pick we will have the same results. A
Old 09-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
Lastly, what does Winegard HD Roof Satellite Prep mean? Thanks for any help
I guess no one has tried to answer the title of your tread question. I'm guessing that you are seeing that on a spec sheet or brochure for your new RV?

I take it to mean that they have installed 12v power and a coax cable at some appropriate place on your roof to allow for the installation of a satellite dish without anyone needing to pull new wires to the location.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
jlf

Thank you for all your help. I have gotten more answers here today then I have from all the experts ie Lazy Days Camping World etc. thank you again

Tags
roo, roof, satellite, winegard