Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Winegard Pathway x2 vs Tailgater

I know there are numerous threds discussing the tailgater but I was hoping some of the satellite savy people here could explain the key differences between these two Dish Network satellite systems. The Pathway x2 looks to be coming out in September and is available for pre-order now at the same price for dish + receiver as the Tailgater, making it a direct competitor.

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

There are two advantages to the Pathway.

First, it has a larger dish inside than the Tailgater does so will have a little higher signal strength (which might make a difference during rain or partial tree cover, otherwise, it's a "don't-care".)

Secondly, it supports using two receivers for viewing two different channels, assuming you buy two receivers. (This is a nice feature if you have (or can add) the wiring in your RV to support a second receiver.) Note that the second receiver has to be watching a channel that is received on the same of the three satellites as the other receiver.

As for price, CW is selling the Tailgater and receiver for $439 so that looks to me to be $61 cheaper than the Pathway (which may come down once CW starts selling it).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #3

Thanks Barry. I noticed too that the Pathway can get both eastern arc and western arc satellites.... would you consider this an andvantage in places other than in the NE CONUS where the tailgater has blackout issues with obtaining the satellites- I do most of my camping in midwest? $60ish dollars isn't really significant in the big picture, are the advantages worth the small additional cost in your opinion?

2013 Ford F150 Super-Crew
2014 Heritage Glen 312qbud
jjm901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

Very good! I missed the eastern-arc benefit. (Sorry.) I don't think that's worth anything unless you're gong to be in that area.

I wouldn't pay extra for the dish size.

Whether the extra outlet is useful is totally up to your situation.

If I were "on the fence" as to whether I needed the features, I probably wouldn't be an early adopter of a brand new system.

In my opinion, you should buy a manual dish and tripod (<$100) off of Craig's List, which gives you two or three outlets with Dish Pro Plus LNB's so I can wire up a Hopper and Joeys easily with my existing RV wiring (and then there's no restriction on "same satellite" viewing). But that is way off topic...
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard