Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Winegard Trav'ler Satellite Dish

We had some fairly high winds last night (30MPH) and I decided better safe than sorry and stowed the dish.

Looking for any information folks may have on best practices for when to stow the dish?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
We had some fairly high winds last night (30MPH) and I decided better safe than sorry and stowed the dish.

Looking for any information folks may have on best practices for when to stow the dish?
I don't have one, but I want one.

My answer would be "Anytime the Cardinals are not playing"......

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Being's how mine mounts to a stand, or bracket, stays out....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Have one for pin alsoClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160621_115000524.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	133969
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:23 PM   #5

We have a Traveler 1000 that mounts to the roof If you are worried about wind I say bring it down each night to be safe. We have only put ours down once and that was because we had really high winds. This year we were in Gulf Shores AL when a very bad storm came through. I think I was a tornado. We made the mistake of not getting out in time so we had a rock and roll party. The wind was blowing so hard it lifted the front of our 5th wheel up and 5 2x10x2ft boards were blow out. So one side had no boards under the right front landing gear. A person across from us their 5th wheel was slide and bent the front landing gear. So I know the winds were very strong. but with all that the sat on top came out just fine no damage I say we were so lucky put it down stow it what ever just don't take any chances.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
We have a Traveler 1000 that mounts to the roof I you are worried about wind I say bring it down each night to be safe. We have only put ours down once and that was because we had really high winds. I will sat this year we in Gulf Shores AL when a very bad storm came through. I think I was a tornado. We made the mistake of not getting out in time so we had a rock and roll party. The wind was blowing so hard it lifted the front of our 5th wheel up and 5 2x10x2ft boards were blow out. So one side had no boards under the right front landing gear. A person across from us their 5th wheel was slide and bent the front landing gear. So I know the winds were very strong. but with all that the sat on top came out just fine no damage I say we were so lucky put it down stow it what ever just don't take any chances.
I would think that if it is a roof mount unit, it goes down the road at 55 to 75 mph and if you drive in to a 15 mph headwind that's 70 to 90. Worse than that I'm not sure I would still be in the coach.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post

We do the same thing, it surprised me how easily the mounting screws went into the roof when I installed it. Just don't have much faith in the CC roof.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #8

I've had a Winegard on both the Country Coach and now on the Cardinal. Maybe I'm not too bright but it never occurred to me to bring it down in high winds. Consequently it's been up in probably 40 mph winds with no problems on both RVs.
I suppose it's a matter of how well it's mounted to the roof! I had it professionally installed by someone that does this for a living. When I go on the roof I check everything and have not seen any signs of movement.
I'm confident in the installation I have at this point and likely won't bring it down in the future either, unless it's hurricane force and at that point I'll likely have other issues to concern myself with.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I would think that if it is a roof mount unit, it goes down the road at 55 to 75 mph and if you drive in to a 15 mph headwind that's 70 to 90. Worse than that I'm not sure I would still be in the coach.
Well if I left it up it mite. The Winegard traveler 1000 stows away flat so thats not something that would be done. So I don't get what your saying!
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #10

I don't have one but I am looking and searching on what all I need to get one, I like the pay-as-you-go ideal those.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #11

The Traveler lays down flat when going down the road (unless you screw up and forget to power it down) so it's not a good comparison. We lay ours down if the wind gets too high and we can feel the gusts in the MH. It may be fine, but I don't want to deal with the patch and repair if a good gust hits it just right and either tears up my roof or breaks something on the dish mechanism. I guess better safe than sorry for us.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #12

We have one of those, too. You did the right thing by stowing it. It's a simple thing to do - just push the button and it self stows. Then when the wind is gone, push the button again and it self extends and finds the satellite.
gordonpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #13

I have a Dish TailGater that I don't use anymore, I ordered a ladder mount from somewhere, maybe I can sell the TailGater at the rally this year. Also have a new receiver that came with the Creek.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Um well one typically does not drive down the highway with a Trav'ler deployed - unless you ~forgot~
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #15

Learned the Hard Way

While camping on the beach ( not a tree within 1,000 ft.) at Camp Gulf in Destin last year, we had our Winegard Direct TV dish up. One evening, there were some big T'Storms WAY over ( at least 10 miles) towards Panama City. Enjoyed watching them for a while. Not a drop of rain nor storms anywhere near us. Radar confirmed that ---at least we thought.
Went inside and about 1/2 hour later--we ( our dish) got it by lightening.
Fired the whole thing (LNB,cables and motor).
At least our '14 390 RB Berkshire was spared from any damage--miracle. So, $1,500 later after we had to replace it, we learned our lesson--put it down any time there are ANY storms in the area and keep it down all night. One simple push of a button would have saved us a lot of dough. It could have been a lot worse!
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite, winegard