Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Wingman

Being a cheap cheap cheap camper.....have put off buying wingman since so many mixed reviews....but CW had them for 22.99 and I made the plunge. As others have said on this forum it takes longer to climb up on the roof than to install the wingman....did not even need a tool...followed instructions to the letter but did have DW with bucket and tools below attached by string...just in case.....after the 5 minute job watched to make sure it lowered into place....it did....no problem....then turned on TV and wow....much better picture and much more reception and weak channels were clear.....money very well spent.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm camping at the usual beach campground and I can see the difference since installing it. I have to agree with you about the picture beng clearer.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

I personally couldn't tell the difference. But I spent a lot of time in areas with weak TV signals anyway. I had the wingman on my previous RV. Now I have the "stealth jet" antenna.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #4

Interesting been thinking of getting one for my trailer think I will
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #5

I had a wingman on my old trailer, got a lot more channels. I wish I could put one on mine, but the bright engineers put my antenna at the edge of my roof line and it would hang over the edge 8". They work great. I even bought one but had to return it bummer...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I had a wingman on my old trailer, got a lot more channels. I wish I could put one on mine, but the bright engineers put my antenna at the edge of my roof line and it would hang over the edge 8". They work great. I even bought one but had to return it bummer...
Mine sticks out a bit over the edge too but less than 8 inches. So far it hasn't been a problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01898-20120819-1647.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	21738

Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I personally couldn't tell the difference. But I spent a lot of time in areas with weak TV signals anyway. I had the wingman on my previous RV. Now I have the "stealth jet" antenna.
I got more channels without it but so many were extremly weak and the picture would break up all the time. The difference I see with using this is that I don't need to adjust the antenna several times a day and several times again at night. I only adjusted it once on my last 4 night trip unlike previous trips. For the price I'm happy with how it works over all.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

The "extension" Wingman is designed to improve UHF channel reception, which after the Digital Transition, contains most of the OTA (over the air) US channels. Many tv stations migrated over to the UHF band, abandoning their old VHF channel allocations, due to UHF being less prone to interference, both man made and atmospheric, which will cause pixelation in the new digital transmissions.

I did a before and after comparison in my yard (imperical, not scientific). With the UHF extension added, the antenna now exhibits "front" and "back" directivity which consequently increases UHF band gain. Bottom line - it did add a couple additional channels 50 miles distant. For the fact I see the directivity, i.e., the antenna does not received equally off the front and back, and for the fact the new extension now must be pointed towards the transmitters for maximum gain, gives creedance to the gain claim. I don't see any effect on VHF, of which there shouldn't be, as this was designed for UHF gain enhancement.