Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Site Team

Wingman mystery solved

Like some people here I was surprised to find out that the Wingman did not fit on my Winegard. The service tech said the holes on the antenna model I have didn't line up.

Well, today I was able to do what my service department was unable to do....install the Wingman on the Winegard. I lost one of the rivets while up on the ladder so it needs to be replaced. Maybe it will be visible when I move the trailer next week. Not sure how snug I got the other rivets in but my neighbor will help check. Ladders are really bad on my feet - too much pressure on hardware so I couldn't stay up longer.

I think the tech was lining up the wrong holes but I'm going to have a bit of fun sending pictures of my work. Of course I'll wait until my Labor Day trip when I can see if the Wingman is worth it or not before rubbing it in. The service department guys don't seem to think the Wingman will help.

Now I can cancel my appointment at CW next week to get it installed. To install it was only $17 but there's an additional $7 shop fee as well. I asked it if was for shop towels and was told yes. Kind of crazy but the overall price was much less than what I found at other places.

Lou - I think we have the same style Winegard. Did you use all four rivets? The packets said not all models will use all the rivets.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #2

Just my opinion of course, I would find someplace else to get my service work done. If they couldn't figure out how to install the wingman they must be dumber than dirt.

Also, your service department is wrong about the wingman making a difference. The wingman will make a HUGE difference when you are in fringe areas of television reception. I'm bummed because the antenna on my new fifth wheel rests so close to the bathroom vent cover I can't use the wingman.

You really do need to find a different service department if they are so inept and wrong about such simple things. I'd hate to see how they would handle a major repair.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
The service department guys don't seem to think the Wingman will help.

Lou - I think we have the same style Winegard. Did you use all four rivets? The packets said not all models will use all the rivets.
In My Opinion, most Service Department guys can't find their butt with both hands when it comes to the Audio Visual stuff in these campers.

I have an older one, I think, and I used all 4; one in each corner.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Site Team

I found more good reviews on the Wingman than bad but it didn't win by a landslide.

The tech never held of the Wingman but then another RV shop hadn't either. Now that was funny showing him the product on the shelf in his store. The second shop wasn't going to give me a break on installing it since I brought my RV from another dealer. He wanted $62 to install a $26 item? Really??

But that all that said my tech should had been able to figure it out even if he didn't believe in the product. It took more thinking going up and down the ladder...

Other than for this issue my service department work has been top notch.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

IMO, most bad reviews are from folks who don't understand that the Wingman makes the antenna DIRECTIONAL.

The elements MUST be pointed within 15 degrees of the bearing to the transmission towers. Without a way to find the towers you will be SOL.

I use AntennaWeb - Home on the PC and the "TOWERS" app for my iPhone/iPad.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Victory dance came a little too soon......
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01898-20120819-1647.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	18360

Didn't even notice it until this afternoon when I looked up and saw that the writing was upside down. And it went on pretty easily even with wrong side up.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Victory dance came a little too soon......
Attachment 18360

Didn't even notice it until this afternoon when I looked up and saw that the writing was upside down. And it went on pretty easily even with wrong side up.

Oops.

At least you got it up there, and you can probably fix it too. The 62 dollars you saved will buy 1 more night @ the beach!
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
Site Team

I got the Wingman flipped over and installed right side up.

This is the first camping trip since installing the Wingman. So far it seems to make a big difference so I'm happy.

The sky been pretty clear here at the beach so maybe that is helping as well with the over-the-air channels. In the past clouds & fog would come in over night. While watching TV later in the night I would lose the end of a good show. This would happen a lot.

For the price this is well worth trying and installing it yourself.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

To be fair it most likely would have worked just fine that way. Whether it stayed ON or not is another discussion....