Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Wire location for Furnace's thermostat

I know this will be vague.. I am not at the trailer, it is home and I am working hard here at work 40 miles away..

I have been toying with relocating my furnace's thermostat to the inside wall of the trailer, not near the slide. It is a saburban heater (I presume) and am looking to know where the wires exit the thing. I looked from the removed grate under my oven and did not see then, I did get a few slices from the ducting though... Just curious from those in the know. If more info is needed I look into it when I am off on Friday.

The reasoning.. I have also been thinking of installing the shut off relay posted some time ago to put the AC on the thermostat as well. Just planning my future mods....

Thanks!

EDIT: For those on the app and see no sig... 2014 Grey Wolf 26DBH

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

I have to ask, your AC is not controlled by the thermostat?
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

No it is not, it is a none Ducted model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
No it is not, it is a none Ducted model.

Will you change the ceiling cover plate or just leave it?

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I have not decide yet. I might just use the relay you had posted on some time ago. I also might order the conversion but if I do the relay I see no point per se.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

Doc73 did not mean to be sarcastic, I was amazed that in a 2014 unit both were not controlled by one thermostat. The only other thing you made need or want to do is install a hard start capacitor.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

I guess it is standard now. our model, an early 2014, Ducted was only an option.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
I know this will be vague.. I am not at the trailer, it is home and I am working hard here at work 40 miles away..

I have been toying with relocating my furnace's thermostat to the inside wall of the trailer, not near the slide. It is a saburban heater (I presume) and am looking to know where the wires exit the thing. I looked from the removed grate under my oven and did not see then, I did get a few slices from the ducting though... Just curious from those in the know. If more info is needed I look into it when I am off on Friday.

The reasoning.. I have also been thinking of installing the shut off relay posted some time ago to put the AC on the thermostat as well. Just planning my future mods....

Thanks!

EDIT: For those on the app and see no sig... 2014 Grey Wolf 26DBH
If I were you I would contact FR and ask them. Every model is going to be different. On my 5er the stat is located by the steps going to the bedroom. The heaters wiring goes under the floor then up the wall. The air goes thru the ceiling then drops down. I can get to them if I remove the stereo. They are mixed in with the stereo's 50 wires and is a hell of a mess!

I know this cause the wire nuts come loose at times. Had to open things up the other day cause I lost power to the stereo the other day and had to find the power wire to tighten it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I'm just looking for the color coming out of the furnace as it starts it's run towards the thermostat. I'll open up the compartment a bit and see if the furnace is labeled.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm just looking for the color coming out of the furnace as it starts it's run towards the thermostat. I'll open up the compartment a bit and see if the furnace is labeled.

Look on the stat and get the colors from the terminal strip. Can't you just splice the wire at the old stat location and run a new cable to your new location? Maybe I am getting confused but it doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

I would think the biggest problem would be getting the wire to the new location with out tearing the whole trailer apart.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Wiring for the old T-stat is behind the slide on a bunk end, not convenient for running a new wire from. I currently moved the t-stat to the slide using a 1/4" mono plug and lamp cord for the heating side (only two wires). I CAN do the same for the A/C side I guess but that might look messy with two set of wire going to the stat on the slide. I have a nice wall 4 feet from the heater / power panel where I have rear access through a pantry to just abandon the old wire that runs to the other side of the camper and put a whole new four wire cable. This will put the stat only a few feet from the heater / power panel and not behind the slide where they put it stock prior to my relocation.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
cat, furnace, location, thermostat