Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #1

Wireless backup camera

I was possible thinking of getting a wireless backup camera for my travel trailer. My 2012 grey wolf 28bhks isn't wireless backup camera ready. Can I have a back up camera installed on the trailer? What's a good brand of wireless backup camera? And how much would it approximately cost to have one installed at a RV service center?

Alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
RiderBloke

Alucke, it is not hard to do. You tap into the power for your high set lights either at a light or by fishing a wire from within the wall, seal very well and screw the camera’s mount to the trailer somewhere near center is best, and you mount the receiver in your truck.
The screws need something decent to hold on to and the wiring needs to be run in such a way that it doesn’t feed water behind the skin. (Grommets, sealant - I use Lexel, and have the wire enter the wall or light fixture in an upwards direction helps.)
Haloview is the rear view camera used by many on these forums (including myself after another brand failed) - but get one of their models that has a long distance capability as your rig plus the truck is a long distance, especially when things like AC units are in between them.
If you don’t want to tackle it you may have an RV fiend who can.
Hope it works out for you.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

I like my Haloview. Big 7" screen is great. You can get a kit that will pull power off of one of the tail lights/clearance lights if you are not pre-wired. It's not terribly hard to do yourself if you are at all handy.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

Another positive experience with Haloview 7" wireless camera system. The image is amazingly clear
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #5

Haloview. Haloview. Haloview MC7108.

Half the price of the big name camera and it has better specs. 7" screen, speaker (for hearing your "spotter", vibrant colors and sharp resolution, and it can record video if wanted. And you can add additional cameras later if needed (something you can not do with the big name brand (as far as I know)).

There are many youtube video reviews of Haloview (all positive from what I've seen) and also installation videos. Easy to do - - you just tap into one of the clearance lights on the top, rear of the trailer and the camera powers up whenever your trailer is hooked up and you turn on the headlights.

Congrats on beating that cancer. Hope all of your follow-ups are positive.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderBloke View Post
Alucke, it is not hard to do. You tap into the power for your high set lights either at a light or by fishing a wire from within the wall, seal very well and screw the camera’s mount to the trailer somewhere near center is best, and you mount the receiver in your truck.
The screws need something decent to hold on to and the wiring needs to be run in such a way that it doesn’t feed water behind the skin. (Grommets, sealant - I use Lexel, and have the wire enter the wall or light fixture in an upwards direction helps.)
Haloview is the rear view camera used by many on these forums (including myself after another brand failed) - but get one of their models that has a long distance capability as your rig plus the truck is a long distance, especially when things like AC units are in between them.
If you don’t want to tackle it you may have an RV fiend who can.
Hope it works out for you.
This is what I'm doing now. I bought a rear camera system on Amazon that other members tell me it's looks just like the Haloview system. It only cost me $118 and works great. Wireless range is much better than I expected. I'm mounting it to the rear center clearance light opening.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #7

I also went with the Haloview, and wired it into the top center clearance light. The only modification I had to make was drilling a small hole in the clearance light lens in order to run the wires through.

I use my camera more for visibility while I'm driving than for backing up. My TT is 30' long, and then add the length of my truck, and I haven't had any issues with range. If needed, Haloview sells an antenna that can be mounted on top of your rig to extend the signal.
ptt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I use my camera more for visibility while I'm driving than for backing up
Same here. I find it indispensable for making highway lane changes. So nice to know you are clear of the vehicle you passed to get back over.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

When I installed my Haloview, I found that the field of vision was lower than I had hoped. The angle of the camera was limited by the the debth of the included bracket and the fact that the rear camera antenna was hitting the vertical surface of my trailer rear wall before the camera was in the desired position. Haloview has now come out with an optional bracket that resolves this. Here is the link for anyone interested.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TST 507 TPMS
nutdriver is offline   Reply With Quote