Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Wiring in a television to 12 volts need some info

The previous owner decided to take the television out of the travel trailer we just bought. I purchased an LCD TV and two things that I thought would work out well on this model is very low power consumption 30 watts and the tv works off of 12 volts. The plug for the 120 AC to plug it in at home has 100-240 volts input and output is 12 volts and 3 amps. I'm wondering if I can power this TV if I run it off the 12 volts that supplied power to the original tv? I found out the TV takes an "N" barrel connector I could buy at radio shack but the sales guy told me I should not exceed the 3 amps the wall adapter puts out. I see in the travel trailers panel the fuse marked for entertainment center has a 15 amp fuse. Will this damage the TV? I'm not real witty when it comes to stuff like this so any help would be appreciated.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #2

I have 3 similar TVs that run just fine in the trailer using a universal adapter. I would just test the voltage output of the AC adapter the TV came with; just to make sure it is somewhere in between 12-13 volts.

The other key is to make sure you have the polarity right on the universal adapter. I used white-out to make a stripe so I always knew which way it had to go.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

had a nice 12 volt only TV in our motor home
and yes
when I sold our motor home I removed it
and put it in our trailer we now have
I really like the 12 volt
especially for dry camping
you should have no problems with overloading
enjoy
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #4

Thanks for the help guys. Ken I checked the output of the home adapter and it was right between 12 and 13 volts looks like im golden.
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Anacortesians

12V x 3A is 36 watts. You have 6 watts to spare on that power supply. From the house 12V it shouldn't be a problem. As Ken said, make sure you get the polarity right - maybe a cigarette light socket would be the most goof-proof hook-up to DC.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #6

Frank thank you the input seems this internet forum is going to be as good as the car forums I have joined over the years. Full of great people looking to help others out.
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

I have a question: How to you remove the TV from the wall. I have a Flagstaff 5er and it has a 15in tv attached to the wall of the entertainment center. I want to take it off and replace it with a larger unit, but I'm not sure how to take it off. I have tried lifting it up, thinking that it has a wall mount unit and it should just slide up, but it doesn't seem to give. Any suggestions? I don't want to force it and take a chance on damage.
thanks
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #8

What make and model of tv was used? Did you finish this install an how well does it work. Pictures please! I was unable to find anything on this barrel connector with a quick google search.
shooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #9

TWO4THEROAD: There are many mount designs out there. I can't imagine anyone installing any mount in an RV that doesn't lock in place otherwise it would end up on the floor on your first trip. Except for locking RV articulating mounts, the ones used seem to be just ordinary home mounts (from what I've seen at RV shows). It sounds like you mean a non-articulating type.

Many residential ones that are fixed (non-articulating/swivel) seem to have a locking mechanism so they can't be accidentally bumped off the wall. We have one in the house where you have to reach in behind the TV and feel around for a lever and rotate it 90 degrees before it will lift off. We have another one that has a long pin you have to withdraw first (by feeling for it blind). Then we have one over the fireplace that just lifts on/off.

Just remember, never force anything. If it doesn't want to come off easily, there's a reason why. Maybe a small handheld mirror could help you see behind the TV.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #10

Thanks myredracer: I'll give it a try.... I know it does not swivel so I guess it's a Non-articulating type..
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt