Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Wiring LED Controller

Got a wiring question. The LED light on the awning is too bright, so I bought one of these: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ote/1370/3140/

Went to wire it up at the light control panel in the camper. The switch for the LED only has the positive side of the circuit, as you see many times. The controller needs the ground as well to function. I tried adding ground on the input side of the controller, but the controller just passes the positive through with no change. Next I hooked up the controller to 12V +/- on the input side and used a multi-meter to check, now I can see the controller making changes.

Real Question. Where can I get to the wiring on the LED strip that I can get to the positive and negative side? and the controller needs to be weather protected. I have a Hemisphere Lite 286RL.

Thanks in advance for any help?

Robb
MORobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Team

Most all LED strips are a series of sections consisting of 3 LED chips each. Theses strips can be cut every three chips and are usually marked, There should be a solder pad on both the positive and negative tracts on the strip. Clean off the protective coating and solder there.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

Flybob

Thanks for the reply but that is not what I am looking for. I understand how leds work. My question is about the wiring path for the awning leds that the factory installed.

Robb
Old 09-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORobb View Post
Flybob

Thanks for the reply but that is not what I am looking for. I understand how leds work. My question is about the wiring path for the awning leds that the factory installed.

Robb
At the end of the LED strip, the wires will feed into the wall.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

OK, I guess I should restate my question. Does anyone know the path the led feed (wire from lites) takes after it enters the wall at the corner of the awning.

Hemisphere Lite 286RL.

Robb
Old 09-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORobb View Post
OK, I guess I should restate my question. Does anyone know the path the led feed (wire from lites) takes after it enters the wall at the corner of the awning.

Hemisphere Lite 286RL.

Robb
Do you have a fuse marked as Awning lights or LED?
Trying to eliminate the obvious first to see if we can figure where they pulled the 12V from.
What is on the other side of the wall where the LED comes through on the exterior? Is there a light or a fan right there or close by?
Are the lights multi colored or white? Controlled only by a switch?
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #7

Wiring LED Controller

You are running into the same issue I am. The led controller switches the ground line. In my case I tried to tap into the ground wire behind the power distribution box. The problem I had is they tied the awning, two of the six interior lights and the fan in the kitchen into the same ground. Because the grounds are tied together in the ceiling I can't single out the ground of the awning led's. I will be following to see if anyone found a way to do this without installing the controller outside.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #8

Eureka! I found it! LED wire path! Hemi Lite 286RL

OK everyone, I found the the wiring path for the +/- lines on the Awning LED. the power feed (+/-) comes down from the LED strip in the Front Awning Leg. It is behind a black cover, but it enters the camper behind the dresser. I removed the bottom drawers and there it was. I promptly changes colors and I believe it goes in the the front Secondary battery location (small door in front of the large storage area on the camper door side. Now that I know where the wire goes, I am changing my plan. Here is what I am going to do:

I ordered a new dimmer switch like this DC 12V 24V LED Dimmer Single Color Adjust Power Supply for LED Light Strip US | eBay

and I am going to locate it in the Battery Bay. This will fix a couple problems:
1. I really do not need another remote in the camper
2. With the controller that requires a remote, it will be complicated. If you want the awning light on, you would need to flip the switch on the control panel, or use the LINC remote to send power, then you would have to use the LED remote to actually turn on the light. This would be a pain.
3. Whenever the awning light is on I will be able to adjust it without going on the hunt for a remote.

The only drawback is that the remote controller can vary the lights in patterns etc. May or may not be important to you.

When my new dimmer arrives, I will try and take pictures as I install it for the group.

Robb
Old 09-27-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

What I did on my last trailer was to drill a hole through the bottom corner of the awning support where the factory wires ran. I just clipped the original wiring and spliced the controller into the factory wires and secured it with velcro to the inside of the compartment...velcroed the remote next to it so it was out of the way but accessible. The remote sensor went back out the hole I drilled and peeked out just below the trim strip that hid the original wires. Sealed the hole and done. Controller was out of the weather and you couldn't see the remote sensor unless you knew it was there. I had a Superbrite kit and it would hold memory even without power. Turned it on and off with the wall switch and made adjustments / color changes with the remote if I wanted to. The remote wasn't necessary to turn the lights on/off as it would stay wherever it was last used (color, on/off, brightness), even with no power connected.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #10

raspivey, thanks for the info. I installed the remote control dimmer to see if I like it. Now that I know where the wires are it would be easy to change if I don't. You were correct, with the remote version in place, the controller remembers the last state. As you stated this means that the switch at the panel and the LINC controller will turn on/off the lights. I am still a little worried about the remote, but I will velcro it in the storage area for easy access.

I will post some pictures in a bit.

Robb

Tags
controller, led, wiring