Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

I have received the two replys below from the Dometic Customer Service folks concerning the Wood Panel dropping. Their comments refer to the 'plastic dowels' you found, as well as the use of double-sided tape during installation (which was apparently not done on many of our panels). Sounds like our problem is not very unusual. I was not able to include in this reply the diagram sent with the second note, but would be happy to send it to anyone via email if they would like to see it.

Pat,
The plastic decoration strips at the bottom of the door are actually not there to hold the panel in place. There should be 2 plastic pieces that look like little dowel rods on each end that hold the panel up and then the decoration strip covers them. Are these missing? If so, if you can provide me with the model and product number off of your refrigerator I can send you some.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation, and hope all your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time, to order parts or if we can be of assistance.

Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
RV.Com / DometicUSA.com
Dometic LLC

The number 6 on the diagram is the plastic peg. Most of the installers of the refrigerator and the panels use a double sided tape to keep the heavy panel secured.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation, and hope all your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time, to order parts or if we can be of assistance.

Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
RV.Com / DometicUSA.com
Dometic LLC

Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #12

Just as an update, Dometic sent me the little black plastic dowels that were missing from my fridge. We have now installed them, and as suggested, added a bit of double side tape to the top of the panel. Seems quite secure. I am looking forward to a 2 week camping excursion with the fridge panel finally properly in place.

If any of you are still having a similar problem, please contact Dometic Customer Service--they were great working thru this issue and providing the correct parts, free of any costs/shipping.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #13

We had the same "panel dropping" problem with a 2013 Rockwood 2608SS. Our dealer suggested use caulk to hold it in place. I did caulk it which worked for two seasons but the weight of the panel was greater than the hinge would support over time. Our fridge door hinge broke and we had to order an new door. As a result, after buying a new door, we now keep the door closed when the trailer is not in use. I hope that Dometic and Forest River would collaborate on the weight of the door panels and the strength of the plastic hinges.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #14

Since the fix in 2012, I am very pleased to say I have not had any further issues with my fridge (panels or hinges).

Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #15

Talked to a tech at Rockwell tech at Goshen he said they use double sided tape and if they have enough space, liquid nails. Be cautious about gluing the dowels in that they don't stick out to far to let you get the plastic cover snapped on.