Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Wood Panel for fridge keeps falling off!

Hi all--just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. The heavy wooden panel for the refrigerator has 'dropped' at least 5-6 times in the two camping trips I have had since I purchased it in August, 2011. The dealership is far enough away that I would rather fix this myself, if possible (although, I will definitely return to the dealership before August 2012 if I haven't gotten it figured out).

There are plastic 'snap' strips along the top and the bottom to hold the panel in place. When it drops--it hits you right on the foot--so on my last trip, I just removed it and stored it.

Now that I am back home, I'd like to fix it properly--just not sure how to do it. I have had several friends help re-installing it, but then, wham, when you least expect it--there it is on your foot again!

Anyone have any similar experiences, or suggestions?
Thanks.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There have been other post on here where this has happened. Tried a search but can't find it. Might email Dometic and see what they say.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarph
Hi all--just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. The heavy wooden panel for the refrigerator has 'dropped' at least 5-6 times in the two camping trips I have had since I purchased it in August, 2011. The dealership is far enough away that I would rather fix this myself, if possible (although, I will definitely return to the dealership before August 2012 if I haven't gotten it figured out).

There are plastic 'snap' strips along the top and the bottom to hold the panel in place. When it drops--it hits you right on the foot--so on my last trip, I just removed it and stored it.

Now that I am back home, I'd like to fix it properly--just not sure how to do it. I have had several friends help re-installing it, but then, wham, when you least expect it--there it is on your foot again!

Anyone have any similar experiences, or suggestions?
Thanks.
Can you post pics of bottom of door where panel is falling out?
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #4

Possible solution

I am having the exact same problem right now on my Rockwood.
I just got off of the phone with one of the mechanics @ the dealer where we purchased the unit and he told me the way they fix this problem is by removing the plastic strip at the bottom (the piece that keeps popping off when the panel drops) and lower the panel as far to the floor as possible. They apply double sided tape to the door, lift the panel back up and press down on the panel to secure it to the door. Snap the plastic piece back into place and I'm told that should take care of the problem.
I am going to try the "fix" today; I will let you know if it worked.
We are leaving for a week on Tuesday and I don't have time to tow it to the dealer.
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Just had this happen to us! And in trying to get the panel back into place, I popped the top plastic piece out too. The top and bottom piece are identical except for the name Dometic on the top piece.

I was able to get them snapped back into place but am wondering how long before it happens again. If/when it happens again, I will definitely take some pictures.

My bigger problem now is that when the panel dropped, the battery disconnect button broke its fall and promptly snapped off. Thankfully it was in the "connected" state else I would not be able to pull it back out right now.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

I am unable to upload the photos I have taken--any suggestions?

In the meantime, to 'emersm'--are you putting double sided tape across the entire door? Just at the top, or at the top and bottom?

I'm thinking it might be difficult to slide the panel back on without it 'sticking in the wrong place?

Please post when you get it done so we can all learn from your experience.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #7

we have a 2012 rockwood roo and have had the same problem, the door was actually damaged along with the plastic , the dealer replaced both i got them home and took the top plastic piece of as well bought some heavy duty dbl sided tape at home depot and applied it put the door in from the top made sure it was secure then place the plastic strips on has been fine since good luck..
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #8

Glad I found this thread! We picked up our Mini-Lite on the 4th and have taken it out twice since then. Luckily the panel hasn't clipped any toes yet, but on the first trip I determined when the plastic strip fails (in travel) and started to check it as part of our set-up check list.

After our last outing this past weekend to Put-in-Bay OH i decided to just shim under the door for travel, but the double sided tape sounds like a better (and permanent) solution, so I'll go that route before our upcoming Alaska trip.
coffaqcof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #9

Had that happen on our last trip a couple of times. Has stayed on since the second time of replacing, thought maybe I didn't get it snapped in good. Will try the double sided tape.

Thanks for the tip.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #10

We purchased our Rockwood 2306 in January. After our first trip the door panel fell to the floor. So I checked the forum and found that this happened before to some folks. Thanks for the information on how to solve this problem. What I found (after many hours of frustration) is that if you look very closely at the bottom bracket you will see two holes. With a flashlight I noticed that in each hole was a plastic dowel that was pushed back into the hole. The dowels are there to hold up the panel. The bracket is black and so are the dowels which made it very difficult to see.
I think what happens is that the plastic dowel works back into the hole during towing. The dowels are meant to hold up the heavy panel but when they move back into the hole it releases all that weight onto the trim which cannot hold the panel.
What I did was to glue the plastic dowels into place so that they could not move back into the hole. For extra measure I also put a screw into the bracket (not the trim) just below the panel. Hope this will hold. It feels pretty secured. Time will tell.
jomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #11

I have received the two replys below from the Dometic Customer Service folks concerning the Wood Panel dropping. Their comments refer to the 'plastic dowels' you found, as well as the use of double-sided tape during installation (which was apparently not done on many of our panels). Sounds like our problem is not very unusual. I was not able to include in this reply the diagram sent with the second note, but would be happy to send it to anyone via email if they would like to see it.

Pat,
The plastic decoration strips at the bottom of the door are actually not there to hold the panel in place. There should be 2 plastic pieces that look like little dowel rods on each end that hold the panel up and then the decoration strip covers them. Are these missing? If so, if you can provide me with the model and product number off of your refrigerator I can send you some.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation, and hope all your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time, to order parts or if we can be of assistance.

Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
RV.Com / DometicUSA.com
Dometic LLC

The number 6 on the diagram is the plastic peg. Most of the installers of the refrigerator and the panels use a double sided tape to keep the heavy panel secured.

We appreciate this opportunity to address your situation, and hope all your future travels are trouble free. Please do not hesitate to contact us any time, to order parts or if we can be of assistance.

Customer Support Center
800 544 4881
RV.Com / DometicUSA.com
Dometic LLC

Old 08-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #12

Just as an update, Dometic sent me the little black plastic dowels that were missing from my fridge. We have now installed them, and as suggested, added a bit of double side tape to the top of the panel. Seems quite secure. I am looking forward to a 2 week camping excursion with the fridge panel finally properly in place.

If any of you are still having a similar problem, please contact Dometic Customer Service--they were great working thru this issue and providing the correct parts, free of any costs/shipping.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #13

We had the same "panel dropping" problem with a 2013 Rockwood 2608SS. Our dealer suggested use caulk to hold it in place. I did caulk it which worked for two seasons but the weight of the panel was greater than the hinge would support over time. Our fridge door hinge broke and we had to order an new door. As a result, after buying a new door, we now keep the door closed when the trailer is not in use. I hope that Dometic and Forest River would collaborate on the weight of the door panels and the strength of the plastic hinges.
RockwoodinSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #14

Since the fix in 2012, I am very pleased to say I have not had any further issues with my fridge (panels or hinges).

Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #15

Talked to a tech at Rockwell tech at Goshen he said they use double sided tape and if they have enough space, liquid nails. Be cautious about gluing the dowels in that they don't stick out to far to let you get the plastic cover snapped on.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #16

It would appear that in the 5 years since this thread was begun, Dometic has not improved upon their design. I purchased a brand new 2017 Forest River Micro Lite 6 months ago, and the refrigerator door panel has fallen off 3 times. Thanks to reading this forum, I have located the 2 pegs, pulled them back out, and used liquid nails to secure them in place. I have placed the heavy panel back in place along with the 2 trim strips, and have my fingers crossed that this will take care of the problem. If not, I'll have to try the double-sided tape trick as well.
SDurbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #17

Plastic Peg part number

Does anyone have the part number for the plastic pegs, I tried calling Dometic customer support and she said that she never heard of such an issue!
lmacino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #18

Don't believe her. They know they have a crummy design but don't want to do anything about it. Wait a while and they will offer an upgrade kit for $49.95. Look at some of the previous posts and try calling again maybe you'll get someone who will help you. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #19

You might try to clean and add a few dobs of silicone...it is a good adhesive and can be removed....assuming you can get to it to put it on there.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote