Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Wood Panel for fridge keeps falling off!

Hi all--just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. The heavy wooden panel for the refrigerator has 'dropped' at least 5-6 times in the two camping trips I have had since I purchased it in August, 2011. The dealership is far enough away that I would rather fix this myself, if possible (although, I will definitely return to the dealership before August 2012 if I haven't gotten it figured out).

There are plastic 'snap' strips along the top and the bottom to hold the panel in place. When it drops--it hits you right on the foot--so on my last trip, I just removed it and stored it.

Now that I am back home, I'd like to fix it properly--just not sure how to do it. I have had several friends help re-installing it, but then, wham, when you least expect it--there it is on your foot again!

Anyone have any similar experiences, or suggestions?
Thanks.

Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

There have been other post on here where this has happened. Tried a search but can't find it. Might email Dometic and see what they say.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarph
Hi all--just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. The heavy wooden panel for the refrigerator has 'dropped' at least 5-6 times in the two camping trips I have had since I purchased it in August, 2011. The dealership is far enough away that I would rather fix this myself, if possible (although, I will definitely return to the dealership before August 2012 if I haven't gotten it figured out).

There are plastic 'snap' strips along the top and the bottom to hold the panel in place. When it drops--it hits you right on the foot--so on my last trip, I just removed it and stored it.

Now that I am back home, I'd like to fix it properly--just not sure how to do it. I have had several friends help re-installing it, but then, wham, when you least expect it--there it is on your foot again!

Anyone have any similar experiences, or suggestions?
Thanks.
Can you post pics of bottom of door where panel is falling out?
Ron
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Possible solution

I am having the exact same problem right now on my Rockwood.
I just got off of the phone with one of the mechanics @ the dealer where we purchased the unit and he told me the way they fix this problem is by removing the plastic strip at the bottom (the piece that keeps popping off when the panel drops) and lower the panel as far to the floor as possible. They apply double sided tape to the door, lift the panel back up and press down on the panel to secure it to the door. Snap the plastic piece back into place and I'm told that should take care of the problem.
I am going to try the "fix" today; I will let you know if it worked.
We are leaving for a week on Tuesday and I don't have time to tow it to the dealer.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

Just had this happen to us! And in trying to get the panel back into place, I popped the top plastic piece out too. The top and bottom piece are identical except for the name Dometic on the top piece.

I was able to get them snapped back into place but am wondering how long before it happens again. If/when it happens again, I will definitely take some pictures.

My bigger problem now is that when the panel dropped, the battery disconnect button broke its fall and promptly snapped off. Thankfully it was in the "connected" state else I would not be able to pull it back out right now.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #6

I am unable to upload the photos I have taken--any suggestions?

In the meantime, to 'emersm'--are you putting double sided tape across the entire door? Just at the top, or at the top and bottom?

I'm thinking it might be difficult to slide the panel back on without it 'sticking in the wrong place?

Please post when you get it done so we can all learn from your experience.

Thanks.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

we have a 2012 rockwood roo and have had the same problem, the door was actually damaged along with the plastic , the dealer replaced both i got them home and took the top plastic piece of as well bought some heavy duty dbl sided tape at home depot and applied it put the door in from the top made sure it was secure then place the plastic strips on has been fine since good luck..
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

Glad I found this thread! We picked up our Mini-Lite on the 4th and have taken it out twice since then. Luckily the panel hasn't clipped any toes yet, but on the first trip I determined when the plastic strip fails (in travel) and started to check it as part of our set-up check list.

After our last outing this past weekend to Put-in-Bay OH i decided to just shim under the door for travel, but the double sided tape sounds like a better (and permanent) solution, so I'll go that route before our upcoming Alaska trip.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #9

Had that happen on our last trip a couple of times. Has stayed on since the second time of replacing, thought maybe I didn't get it snapped in good. Will try the double sided tape.

Thanks for the tip.
PT Crew Member 125
Good Sam Club, Cedar Creek Sams Chapter
Passport America Member
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

We purchased our Rockwood 2306 in January. After our first trip the door panel fell to the floor. So I checked the forum and found that this happened before to some folks. Thanks for the information on how to solve this problem. What I found (after many hours of frustration) is that if you look very closely at the bottom bracket you will see two holes. With a flashlight I noticed that in each hole was a plastic dowel that was pushed back into the hole. The dowels are there to hold up the panel. The bracket is black and so are the dowels which made it very difficult to see.
I think what happens is that the plastic dowel works back into the hole during towing. The dowels are meant to hold up the heavy panel but when they move back into the hole it releases all that weight onto the trim which cannot hold the panel.
What I did was to glue the plastic dowels into place so that they could not move back into the hole. For extra measure I also put a screw into the bracket (not the trim) just below the panel. Hope this will hold. It feels pretty secured. Time will tell.