Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
meg

Acadia Blackwoods campground

We have reservations at Blackwoods in side the park this summer. Have been reading about campground and i don't know if we can camp there. we have a 32ft class A Mirada motor home and it says max length is 35 ft no problem there but height is 11ft 8 don't know if this will be a problem or not. Has any one camped there with a class A. Also, are there any private campgrounds close to the park?
meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Done with this

Oops...

Copied from another site.

“Good Place to Stay in a Park That Does Not Like RV's”
3 of 5 starsReviewed October 20, 2014
This National Park does not like RV's.

Go to the park headquarters (as we did). You will find ONE place for an RV to park. I knew a guy once who said that if you get bad service in a restaurant, you must leave a very small tip. If you leave no tip they think you forgot if you leave a little tip then they know you didn't like the service. This was like a "little tip".

The headquarters at least had one parking space. Most / many (perhaps all) of the features of the park are available to bus and cars, but there is no RV parking. When we arrived at Cadillac mountain the car parking was full. We drove through and found an open space marked "Buses Only". There was only one bus and a considerable amount of free space, so we parked there. While we were gathering our things the Ranger "asked" us to move. I asked where he wanted us to go and he said in the car lot. We have an RV that is only 25 feet long so we found a place and took up two car spaces, but we got parked. This is one example. We found no accommodation for RV's in the park.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

I have not camped there with a Class A. I have seen Class A's in the campground. Sites are close together, and I have not seen any issue with heights. Plenty of travel trailers with AC units that are the same height. Yes, there are private campgrounds abundant on the island. I have not stayed at any so I cannot recommend any, sorry.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg View Post
We have reservations at Blackwoods in side the park this summer. Have been reading about campground and i don't know if we can camp there. we have a 32ft class A Mirada motor home and it says max length is 35 ft no problem there but height is 11ft 8 don't know if this will be a problem or not. Has any one camped there with a class A. Also, are there any private campgrounds close to the park?
I have not camped there in a Class A. We were in a tent. However, there were several campgrounds in the area- in know for sure that there's a KOA in Bar Harbor. The park is huge and is like wrapped all around the area.

There aren't any shower facilities at Blackwoods so don't plan on using their facilities! There is a pay shower house just outside the campground. $2 per 4 minutes. In the campground facilities- there are toilets and sinks. No hand soap, only sanitizer. No hot water.
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

We went there last year, stayed outside the park but do not remember where. There are dozens of camps as you approach the national park. We drove through the two national park camp grounds and all I have to say is I am glad we choose not stay there. All the roads were narrow. There would be no way not to scrap the sides and top of the RV while getting to the site. No room at the site for the vehicle only the RV. The strange part was they had beautiful dump stations just could not accommodate an RV in the park. I would only go in with a beater I cared nothing about.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

We have a 40' diesel pusher and are staying at this campground in September.....NARROWS TOO CAMPING RESORT
1150 Bar Harbor Road
Trenton, ME 04605
Phone: 866-917-4300
They have full hookups - including cable and sewer. We have been to the Acadia campgrounds and I agree with the others - too narrow and no hookups whatsoever. If you were in a tent - different ballgame. We visit Acadia in our tow vehicle and leave the MH parked in the campground. Way much easier finding a parking place (haha) in the tow vehicle.
Sloopie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
Wait till next year...

We àre at Bar harbor Campgrouñd right now. Lovely campground decently spaced sites, b7t has a no reservation policy. Just went thru Blackwood's this afternoon ( its been raining for 3 days here so nothing better to do) must have been 1/2 dozen class c ' s there we were thinking about giving it a try Thursday or Friday. Ranger was most helpful suggested A loop 42-84 I think. Roads thru sites were narrow but doable. Seawall is slightly more open but sites are tighter together. Hope your bringing a toad best places to visit on the Island really require a car/SUV. Don't get scared off though DW and I have been coming here for lot of years stuff to do , bring a bike for carriage roads, park activities are scheduled every day, and food is d8verse and great
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #8

NED-

We are heading to Bar Harbor CG in August... any recommendations for places to eat, and highlights that are must see? Got a pretty good list going already, but always looking for the recommendations of others...

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
NED-

We are heading to Bar Harbor CG in August... any recommendations for places to eat, and highlights that are must see? Got a pretty good list going already, but always looking for the recommendations of others...
Dont get me started. OK musts carriage roads by foot,bike, or horse drawn carriage. Sunset on top of Cadillac mtn,any boat ride ranger guoided ones really good, Mary Todd, hiking Bubbles or if getting old like DW and me Ship Harbor, Bass Harbor light, and don't miss Schodic its across from Acadia maybe 45 minutes from BH
. Eats- favorites include Paddy's, 2 Cats, Jordan's for blueberry pancakes,Poor Boys, Geddys,Stewmans in Bar Harbor Eat a pita ,Dry Dock in Southwest Harbor,little clam shack beside Swann Island ferry,Union River and Riverside cafe in Ellsworth
Old 06-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Dont get me started. OK musts carriage roads by foot,bike, or horse drawn carriage. Sunset on top of Cadillac mtn,any boat ride ranger guoided ones really good, Mary Todd, hiking Bubbles or if getting old like DW and me Ship Harbor, Bass Harbor light, and don't miss Schodic its across from Acadia maybe 45 minutes from BH
. Eats- favorites include Paddy's, 2 Cats, Jordan's for blueberry pancakes,Poor Boys, Geddys,Stewmans in Bar Harbor Eat a pita ,Dry Dock in Southwest Harbor,little clam shack beside Swann Island ferry,Union River and Riverside cafe in Ellsworth
I'll second Jordan's and 2Cats. They were yummy!

Don't miss sunrise and sunset atop Cadillac Mountain. Also, stargazing from the top of Cadillac mountain.
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

Ditto on "sunrise" on Cadillac Mountain. Same for Bar Harbor Campground, only about three miles outside of the touristy town of Bar Harbor. Kayaking in BH is fun and if you don't have bikes or want to bring them there are several places in BH that rent them for not much at all and you ride right from the bike rental in to the park and hit the carriage roads. If you like surf n turf, bring a couple of nice steaks with you (I prefer rib eyes for grilling) or there is a super market near Ellsworth to buy some, stop at the many roadside lobster stands and buy fresh that morning lobster. There is a house a mile or less away from BH Campground that used to have a sign pull in anytime and honk the horn, someone will come out and take you to the tank that has the morning catch. At the end of your site seeing, start a campfire, open a cold one and relax with the best surf n turf you'll have! Have fun and enjoy! P.S. if you do your own lobster as suggested, put them in the fridge or cooler for about a half hour before cooking them. Otherwise they'll fight like hell going into the pot.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
Wait till next year...

Meg what's the site you have reserved? I'll try and get back to Blackwoods and get some pictures.

Tags
black, mpg