Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
meg

Acadia national park

Does any one know if the weather and mosquitoes are really bad at Acadia in late August. People have told us you can't even be outside due to the bugs.
meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #2

We were at Acadia last August. Only remember mosquitoes after dusk. We did some hiking on some of the carriage trails and I guess I do remember there were a few in the thick woods. Nothing bad at all though. We brought bug spray, but didn't use much.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
Wait till next year...

Depends on where you are. Generally speaking not any worse than anywhere in the Northeast but get into the woods with little breeze either on a campsite or hiking trail they can be a nuisance. Never really noticed them on carriage trails but some of the trails get damp and bred them
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #4

We'll be camped at Acadia 21 June-5 July...hoping the bugs won't be too bad this time of the year...and hoping the lobsters are plentiful
Old 06-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

I thought mosquitos are the Maine state bird..
Old 06-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #6

Well actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
I thought mosquitos are the Maine state bird..
The mosquitoes use Route 1 to land on; that's how big they are.

Late August along the coast will find the blackflies pretty much gone and a few mosquitoes at dusk and later evening.

Preferring more remote woods areas, it can be a battle sometimes, especially around Memorial Day weekend. For being outside and away from the campsite (hiking, etc) I use Ben's with the highest amount of DEET. Depending on your environmental/health views, you may or may not choose this. However, the more DEET in the juice, the more effective it is.

Around the campsite, under the awning or by the fire, I use a Thermocell and have good results with that.

Another concern the past few years has been an increase in ticks, especially deer ticks. They seem to be thriving better and better, despite how the winters go. In the early summer, they are smaller and harder to detect. More info can been found here Mainely Ticks | Tick Management through Education & Science and here: MMCRI - Lyme and Other Vector-borne Disease Information

If you've found yourself in tall grassy areas or similar, make sure to do a tick check at the end of day.

That area of the coast (only about an hour from me) is scenic, enjoyable. The farther east you go, the more Downeast it becomes. Enjoy the lobster and make plans to come back at the of September, first of October for the foliage.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #7

We're planning a trip from Wisconsin to Maine after Labor Day. Any suggestions about where to stay at Arcadia? Would like to have electricity and water but can manage without for a few days if the place is worth it. :-)
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #8

Stayed at bar harbor Koa on waterfront beautiful in May no problems with anything that time of year with little wind

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieHM View Post
We're planning a trip from Wisconsin to Maine after Labor Day. Any suggestions about where to stay at Arcadia? Would like to have electricity and water but can manage without for a few days if the place is worth it. :-)
If, your definition of camping in a national park is "worth it" then you can stay in the park with no hook ups. If thats not your cup of tea, you need to look elsewhere. Just sayin'. Firewood is free from the wood pile near the campground close to the amphitheater.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieHM View Post
You didnt mention size of your rig.Big rigs might have a problem in Blackwoods. My 28 fter would I think work in some of the sites and we had planned on dry camping there but stayed at Bar Harbor campground wwith full hookups. Really nice campground. It has a no reservation policy and I believe only takes cash and checks.Nice pull thrus, Some sites with view of Frenchmens bay.Was 1/2 the price of Bar Harbor KOA .BH KOA site we stayed at was right on the water with water electric,cable no sewer- sites were a little tight for $100+ but you are paying for the view.Looked at the Narrows, Narrows Too, and Smugglers Den- all had some decent sites we may try on another trip. Hope your staying at least a week lots to see do and of course plenty of places to eat
Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Wait till next year...

[QUOTE=Boso;898817]Stayed at bar harbor Koa on waterfront beautiful in May no problems with anything that time of year with little wind

Boso must have just missed you at Bar Harbor KOA. They told us weeks before we got there had had beautiful weather. We had 3 days of rain on the waterfront. Gave us a site with a little tree to cut the wind. Still even grey the view was nice
Old 06-19-2015, 07:34 PM   #12

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself very well I was there many years ago not this year or last I think maybe 2005 I was in a 2004 discovery that's the way I keep up with years by what I was driving at the time but it was beautiful best lobster in the world

Old 06-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #13

[QUOTE=n-e-d;898886]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Stayed at bar harbor Koa on waterfront beautiful in May no problems with anything that time of year with little wind

Boso must have just missed you at Bar Harbor KOA. They told us weeks before we got there had had beautiful weather. We had 3 days of rain on the waterfront. Gave us a site with a little tree to cut the wind. Still even grey the view was nice
Did you guys buy any baked goods from the lady driving around CG in the mini van selling them? I got a blueberry pie and ate the whole thing in one sitting
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #14

No I didn't see that when I was there but we went to the lobster pound picked a lobster they cooked it we carried to cg made slaw French fries hush puppies and my favorite little drink didn't know Maine had blue berries until I got there seen all the signs with baked goods on the side of roads for sale

Old 06-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Wait till next year...

Did you guys buy any baked goods from the lady driving around CG in the mini van selling them? I got a blueberry pie and ate the whole thing in one sitting[/QUOTE]

Didnt see her while we were there. Just too wet. We usually get our Blueberry fix at the Morning Glory, a little bakery on a side street in Bar Harbor.We definitely miss the Pie Lady and her husband who were on Rte 3 heading in to Bar harbor. Always leave Acadia with a stop at Renys to pickup a case of Wymans blueberries packed in water
Old 06-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #16

We have an RPod that's only 19' pulled by a Jeep or a mini van. So I'm assuming we can fit in to most sites pretty easily. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll start searching and will really look at the National Park campgrounds as well as the others.
DebbieHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
Wait till next year...

Shouldnt have a problem at either Blackwoods or Seawall. Myself I thought Seawall more open Blackwoods heavily wooded plus Seawall has a nice area across the street on the water to picnic and a couple of trails to the coast just down the road
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #18

Another vote for Bar Harbor Campground. About 3 miles outside the town of Bar Harbor, a couple of miles from Acadia. The CG's at the Acadia are a little remote from some of the area. Ditto on stopping at a lobster shack along the roadways (most close by 5pm). Last time to Maine DW and I went 3 times, fresh that morning lobster, back to the campground and nice rib eye steaks on a charcoal grill with a good bottle of Pinot Noir. Wine was more than both steaks and the lobster. Heaven!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Another vote for Bar Harbor Campground. About 3 miles outside the town of Bar Harbor, a couple of miles from Acadia. The CG's at the Acadia are a little remote from some of the area. Ditto on stopping at a lobster shack along the roadways (most close by 5pm). Last time to Maine DW and I went 3 times, fresh that morning lobster, back to the campground and nice rib eye steaks on a charcoal grill with a good bottle of Pinot Noir. Wine was more than both steaks and the lobster. Heaven!

Here, Here to the wine!

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #20
Wait till next year...

X2 Sherman12