Old 06-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #11

If you're heading to Albany and the Hudson River from Buffalo, there are a few New York State parks located in the northern area of the Finger Lakes region. Here are a few links.

Keuka Lake State Park at Branchport, NY (northern end of beautiful Keuka Lake):

Keuka Lake State Park Amenities & Activities- NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Although I've never camped there, I've been there on day trips and it's a pleasant and well kept park.

Another "northern Finger Lakes" New York state campground is Cayuga Lake State Park located just south of Seneca Falls, N.Y. Again, I've never camped there but it's in a nice area:

Cayuga Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

As stated above, the Watkins Glen KOA is a very nice campground:

Watkins Glen/Corning, NY KOA Campground Big Rig RV Park

But if, by chance, the KOA is booked full, don't forget there's a New York state park just on the outskirts of Watkins Glen, N.Y. It's located at the upper end of the Watkins Glen gorge (complete with many water falls along a walking trail.) A very beautiful and picturesque place:

Watkins Glen State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

And there are a some other state and private campgrounds in the Finger Lakes area:

Campgrounds - Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance

https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #12

If you want to stay in the Hudson Valleya Area I would recommend the Newburg/KOA great place. You have access to Hudson valley Wine trail. West Point, Culinary, NYS tours from the campground. Easy access off of I84 which leads into Conn. WE stay thier a lot.

2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post
The Finger Lake region is beautiful but I'm partial to the Adirondacks. Rt 30 north of the Thruway has many, many beautiful Lakes with State Parks for 100 miles. Then most scenic in the state from Tupper Lake East to Lake Placid and beyond through the high peaks region. From there go South on the Adirondack Northway for many private parks through Lake George and Saratoga. Much to see, much to do.

AND, unfortunately, not enough time.

Having lived in and traveled NYS from Lake Champlain (as a youngster), the Mid-Hudson Valley (as a teen) and the lower Hudson Valley NYC Metro area until retirement, there is plenty to see and do. It is rich in history and culture, farms and big cities (and the wineries) all within a few hours or less from each other.

But, the most interesting feat of engineering is the fact that ALL of the water throughout the Catskill Mountain region and east of the Hudson River for 100 miles north and northwest of NYC belongs to the City of New York. A intricate system of natural streams, rivers, lakes, man-made resovours and underground aqueducts supply NYC and surrounding communities with billions of gallons of water daily (all gravity fed). It's interesting as you drive through the region and over bridges over rivers and streams that that water will eventually end up in an aqueduct destined for and be consumed in NYC within a week.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #14

Just came back from Seneca Falls with my Flagstaff 27RLWS and stayed at Flint Creek Campground. Not what I would call a resort, but is clean and has full hookups. If you stay, eat at Smugglers (the only commercial building in town). Great food and very reasonable.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #15

Up state NY is God's country and almost anywhere will be good.
If you get off of the beaten path, please be careful of low clearence
RR bridges, there are many. Back in the 50s and 60s we had a farm near Rosendale, NY, Catskill Region, were we would go with my mother for the summer and my father
would come on weekends after delivering new autos to dealers up state. He would have to stop the car hauler drive the autos off of the top, drive the car hauler thru the underpass/bridge and then reload the trailer and on to the next dealer. We were to move there and live until my parents found out that we would go to a one room school house with one teacher and that NO ONE had ever graduated from High School at that school! Have a good trip.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Up state NY is God's country and almost anywhere will be good.
If you get off of the beaten path, please be careful of low clearence
RR bridges, there are many. Back in the 50s and 60s we had a farm near Rosendale, NY, Catskill Region, were we would go with my mother for the summer and my father
would come on weekends after delivering new autos to dealers up state. He would have to stop the car hauler drive the autos off of the top, drive the car hauler thru the underpass/bridge and then reload the trailer and on to the next dealer. We were to move there and live until my parents found out that we would go to a one room school house with one teacher and that NO ONE had ever graduated from High School at that school! Have a good trip.

Agree that up state NY is beautiful. I was born in Rochester and raised in Henrietta.

A lot of people think NY state is all NY city, but its not.

Upstate NY has open farms, parks, lakes, wineries, quaint little towns and villages.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #17

Where did you end up going? We just spent a week at Lake George RV Park and loved it. Great campground and beautiful area with lots to do if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2829066357.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	37981  
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRooFamily View Post
Where did you end up going? We just spent a week at Lake George RV Park and loved it. Great campground and beautiful area with lots to do if you want.
This pic is of our campsite there.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRooFamily View Post

Nice picture. We like that area as well. If you get back up there, check out the Old Forge Camping Resort. Nice CG and we like that area - kids love the waterpark. We go to the Adirondacks 2-3 times a year. There aren't a lot of private campgrounds to choose from. The Lake Placid KOA is great too and the area has lots of Olymic venues and other things to see, but it is a hike to get there. And so many state parks we haven't even been able to check them all out. No hookups in any DEC run parks in the ADK's. But unbeatable sites on many of the lakes. Big, spaced out, and $20 a night. Lewey Lake and Moffit Beach are our 2 favorites, but lake sights have to be booked 9 months in advance for summer time.

And then there is the 1,000 Islands and the Finger Lakes. So many choices, so little time...

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote