Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Across New York State

Hi All
I will be going on the FROG Rally in Ontario Canada/Niagara Falls in early July. After that I plan to head east to conneticut. I need to kill 3-5 days in or around the Finger Lakes of NY or even around Albany and the Hudson River.
Can anyone suggest some really nice campgropunds/resorts that is not too far off the main highway heading east?

Thanks

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

If you get off the Thruway in Geneva and head south along the West side of Seneca Lake, you'll pass some great winerys and then you can stop at the KOA in Watkins Glen. It's a nice spot and the Glen is really special. Also consider the "Diamond Mine" in Herkimer and the KOA there.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3

Iggy

I would recommend that you cross New York on US Route 20 rather than the NYS Thruway. You can catch Route 20 east of Canandigua and take it to Amsterdam, NY. It is a nice road and you avoid the tolls and truck traffic on the Thruway.

If you don't mind a little driving, check out Watkins Glen and the vineyards nears Hammondsport.

I grew up in Buffalo and I think the Finger Lakes are the prettiest part of NYS.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
Iggy

I would recommend that you cross New York on US Route 20 rather than the NYS Thruway. You can catch Route 20 east of Canandigua and take it to Amsterdam, NY. It is a nice road and you avoid the tolls and truck traffic on the Thruway.

If you don't mind a little driving, check out Watkins Glen and the vineyards nears Hammondsport.

I grew up in Buffalo and I think the Finger Lakes are the prettiest part of NYS.

^^^

IGGY

as stated above Hammondsport and Watkins Glen are wonderful as I grew up and worked in the area. Finger Lakes in mid summer are worth the visit great wineries, Corning Museum of Glass if you make it to Watkins Geln is only a short ride from Watkins KOA

Old 04-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
Iggy

Thanks for that route information using Route 20 and to check out Hammondsport NY. The distances are much shorter than I expected as we are from the SW and everything is far between.

I like that idea to take route 20 instead of the interstate and tolls. I like the slower pace 2 lane roads. I have never been in that part of NY state. I will have to look around for some good campgrounds in NYS

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #6

You can do some antiquing on route 20 too.

Like others have Watkins Glen, Hammondsport and Corning are all very close and a great place to be if you want to stop for a couple of days. I grew up in Watkins and ran a B&B there for a few years. Great place to launch day trips from for sure.

Enjoy.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

I'd like to plan a trip up there as well--I've been vacationing in the Finger Lakes region since I was 13, but this is the first time I've tried to plan it with a 30' TT. With that in mind, can anyone recommend a nice CG or RV park on Cayuga, Seneca, or even any of the other smaller lakes? I'd love something with a water view and large enough sites for my rig, full hookups are also a must for the DW. Advice, please...
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Paul & Sheri

The Finger Lake region is beautiful but I'm partial to the Adirondacks. Rt 30 north of the Thruway has many, many beautiful Lakes with State Parks for 100 miles. Then most scenic in the state from Tupper Lake East to Lake Placid and beyond through the high peaks region. From there go South on the Adirondack Northway for many private parks through Lake George and Saratoga. Much to see, much to do.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #9

X40 for the Watkins Glen KOA. Just make sure you book it early enuff in advance and it's NOT NASCAR weekend.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

I read this entry from Iggy a while ago. I was driving Route 20 tonight in the Buffalo area east to Alden NY. In Alden there is a low railroad bridge that the right lane is 12 ft 8 inches. I saw several semi's passing under in the left lane. They did not have any problem. This is just a heads up, avoid the right lane under the bridge in Alden NY if you are taking Route 20 to head east to the Finger Lake area. Have a great trip and safe travels.