Old 11-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Advice on SC/GA coast area campgrounds

Is this normal? We have had out Gray Wolf 25RB for one season. Our camper is in a county fairgrounds barn for the Winter here in Northern Indiana. I am already excited about camping this Spring!! We want to take our first long trip (more than 5 hours away). My DW's parents live near Atlanta and also camp. We are looking at the last week of April. I just saw Huntington Beach SC and thought it looked pretty good. I have aseen a couple family campgrounds on the beach, but we are talking 500+ sites. These look to be geared towards families and we will not have any kids with us, so that may not be our first choice. What is the weather like there this time of year? Thoughts and experiences are appreciated. Oh yes, I have never had less than polite, helpful feedback (unlike another recent and less-than-polite post). I LOVE the humor of this forum and this will definitely keep me in the FR family for future RV purchases. I hope to meet some of you sometime. I hope everyone had a great holiday - cheers!

Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
We were just in Hilton Head, SC the week of Thanksgiving. The weather was incredible. Low 50's at night--mid to upper 70's by day. We were not camping on this trip as we flew into Atlanta, got my daughter, and stayed in a condo. We checked out a campground right off the island (look up Hilton Head Marina and RV park) and drove through it. Some water front sites but nothing more than a couple hundred feet off the water. A little pricey compared to Midwest campgrounds but they have some deals depending on your length of stay. We also drove to Charleston (2 hours north of Hilton Head) and to Savannah, GA (1 hour south) but did not check into any campgrounds. Lots to do and see; especially if you are into history.
My DW wants to make this an annual tradition--would love to camp but do have access to the condo. I guess this is a nice problem to have!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2014 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
April is always iffy. Could be cold, hot, rainy or not. Hard to plan too far in advance. The coastal areas are usually a little warmer than inland. We just like taking our chances and enjoy the stay whatever. We like Hunting Island just a bit further south but it is a small campground and sometimes hard to get a reservation. Good luck and hope you find a campground to your liking.....

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
As others have mentioned weather is iffy in April but definitely better than Indiana.

As for Hunting Island it is one of our favorites. We have been going for a couple of years, and are actually leaving Friday for a month long stay there, and we already have our reservations for April.

It is an older state park but it is one of the prettiest beaches on the east coast. Very peaceful, large wooded lots, fsurf and pier fishing, great staff,walking and bike trails, and a nice camp store. It is a short drive into Beaufort if you feel the need to return to civilization for a day.
TN_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Check this site out. RV Park Reviews :: Home

You can search by state, city, etc. Reviews are written by people that have stayed there. Watch the dates and prices subject to change. If you can manage this forum, then you can manage this site. Some may love a campground, others may hate it, for different reasons. We are like you as in no children, so when I see putt-putt, paddle boats, arcade room...etc., we try not to go there because it means children. When we see boring, nothing to do there, that is our kind of place. If we also see no television stations and no wi-fi or cell phone, we are packing our stuff. Not for everyone, but works for us.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Hunting Island is a Great place to camp in the spring. We've been there 3 times both in fall and spring. The weather is nice and the beach is beautiful.
The host's and camp staff are great. You have to try out Johnson's Creek Tavern it's just a short drive from the CG. Beware in the fall for the South Carolina State Bird ( The Skeeter) they can carry off small pets HA HA.
Check out reserve for more info and resevations.

Mike & Trena Green , "Sunny" our camping cockatiel.
2002 Rockwood 2104
1996 F250 SB 2wd Ps
02 rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
Hunting Island is also one of our favorites. We have been several times for spring break - end of March, first of April and the weather has USUALLY been decent. We have weathered a few rough thunderstorms and we have had some cool weather, but it is usually warm enough to get out and walk the beach. The water is usually too cool to get in.

They have 200 sites and I tried to get a spot for the 1st week of April, we couldn't get in with our TT - 35'. Give 'em a try, couldn't hurt.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
I vote for Hunting Island SP as well.
Bob, Tonya and the kids
11 Rockwood Roo 233S
08 Grady White Seafarer 228
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Is Hunting Island SP and Huntington Beach SP 1 in the same ?? The missus wants to head south the last of February, and very interested in that area. I know, I know, I will be taking my chances, but hopefully things will be warm during that time period.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Is Hunting Island SP and Huntington Beach SP 1 in the same ??
Ignore that question....I looked it up.....who would have imagined that.

How about Huntington Beach State Park ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote