Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
PatLor

Advice on SC/GA coast area campgrounds

Is this normal? We have had out Gray Wolf 25RB for one season. Our camper is in a county fairgrounds barn for the Winter here in Northern Indiana. I am already excited about camping this Spring!! We want to take our first long trip (more than 5 hours away). My DW's parents live near Atlanta and also camp. We are looking at the last week of April. I just saw Huntington Beach SC and thought it looked pretty good. I have aseen a couple family campgrounds on the beach, but we are talking 500+ sites. These look to be geared towards families and we will not have any kids with us, so that may not be our first choice. What is the weather like there this time of year? Thoughts and experiences are appreciated. Oh yes, I have never had less than polite, helpful feedback (unlike another recent and less-than-polite post). I LOVE the humor of this forum and this will definitely keep me in the FR family for future RV purchases. I hope to meet some of you sometime. I hope everyone had a great holiday - cheers!
Pkdennis0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

We were just in Hilton Head, SC the week of Thanksgiving. The weather was incredible. Low 50's at night--mid to upper 70's by day. We were not camping on this trip as we flew into Atlanta, got my daughter, and stayed in a condo. We checked out a campground right off the island (look up Hilton Head Marina and RV park) and drove through it. Some water front sites but nothing more than a couple hundred feet off the water. A little pricey compared to Midwest campgrounds but they have some deals depending on your length of stay. We also drove to Charleston (2 hours north of Hilton Head) and to Savannah, GA (1 hour south) but did not check into any campgrounds. Lots to do and see; especially if you are into history.
My DW wants to make this an annual tradition--would love to camp but do have access to the condo. I guess this is a nice problem to have!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #3

April is always iffy. Could be cold, hot, rainy or not. Hard to plan too far in advance. The coastal areas are usually a little warmer than inland. We just like taking our chances and enjoy the stay whatever. We like Hunting Island just a bit further south but it is a small campground and sometimes hard to get a reservation. Good luck and hope you find a campground to your liking.....

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #4

As others have mentioned weather is iffy in April but definitely better than Indiana.

As for Hunting Island it is one of our favorites. We have been going for a couple of years, and are actually leaving Friday for a month long stay there, and we already have our reservations for April.

It is an older state park but it is one of the prettiest beaches on the east coast. Very peaceful, large wooded lots, fsurf and pier fishing, great staff,walking and bike trails, and a nice camp store. It is a short drive into Beaufort if you feel the need to return to civilization for a day.
TN_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Check this site out. RV Park Reviews :: Home

You can search by state, city, etc. Reviews are written by people that have stayed there. Watch the dates and prices subject to change. If you can manage this forum, then you can manage this site. Some may love a campground, others may hate it, for different reasons. We are like you as in no children, so when I see putt-putt, paddle boats, arcade room...etc., we try not to go there because it means children. When we see boring, nothing to do there, that is our kind of place. If we also see no television stations and no wi-fi or cell phone, we are packing our stuff. Not for everyone, but works for us.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6

Hunting Island is a Great place to camp in the spring. We've been there 3 times both in fall and spring. The weather is nice and the beach is beautiful.
The host's and camp staff are great. You have to try out Johnson's Creek Tavern it's just a short drive from the CG. Beware in the fall for the South Carolina State Bird ( The Skeeter) they can carry off small pets HA HA.
Check out reserve america.com for more info and resevations.

Mike & Trena Green , "Sunny" our camping cockatiel.
2002 Rockwood 2104
1996 F250 SB 2wd Ps
02 rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Hunting Island is also one of our favorites. We have been several times for spring break - end of March, first of April and the weather has USUALLY been decent. We have weathered a few rough thunderstorms and we have had some cool weather, but it is usually warm enough to get out and walk the beach. The water is usually too cool to get in.

They have 200 sites and I tried to get a spot for the 1st week of April, we couldn't get in with our TT - 35'. Give 'em a try, couldn't hurt.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

I vote for Hunting Island SP as well.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Is Hunting Island SP and Huntington Beach SP 1 in the same ?? The missus wants to head south the last of February, and very interested in that area. I know, I know, I will be taking my chances, but hopefully things will be warm during that time period.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Is Hunting Island SP and Huntington Beach SP 1 in the same ??
Ignore that question....I looked it up.....who would have imagined that.

How about Huntington Beach State Park ???

Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #11

Mtn Guy:
Being a native Floridian my view on beaches is well perhaps more refined or snobbed up a bit ;-). Hunting Beach is near Myrtle Beach which is too much like Daytona or Panama City Beach except with less white sand or as blue water. I do not like these beaches in Florida. They are crowded and waaaay to touristy for my liking. Myrtle Beach is like that as well. So my bias is well biasing me against the Hunting Beach SP as I do not have interest in going to Myrtle.

My sister has a time share through Mariotte at Hilton Head and I have been there a couple times as her guest. The island is pretty and laid back, but the beaches are ok at best. The water is muddy as the Savannah River empties into the ocean on the south side of the island. I was there a few year back swimming in the pool when a nice lady from Ohio was raving about the beaches and how she just loved the place and then without knowing where I grew up or was living at the time asked me how I liked the beaches there. I was polite and told her I thought the beaches are ok and she looked at me puzzled. I then followed up that I was born and raised in Florida and that my benchmark are the beaches there especially the central Panhandle and the eastern beaches. There is no comparision in terms of beauty and what not to any of SC's beaches. I told her as much and I think I offended her. What I do not understand is why Hilton Head in particular is so popular with folks from Ohio. When I was last there in July of 2005 there seemed to me more cars from Ohio than South Carolina. (lol)

With that said, I enjoy the coast and SC has a unique flavor to it and Hunting Island, Hilton Head and Beaufort are nice and I enjoy going there which is the bottom line right?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I also try to avoid the crowded places, but figure the end of February should be not be too bad.

Our criteria for this trip is:

*A "reasonable" warm beach campground with electric and water, with sewer if possible.

*Would like for it to be within a days travel of home (Charlottesville, VA. area).......around 400 miles maximum. We may spend 2 days getting there by traveling a less traveled route to do some exploring.

Hunting Island is about 520 miles, while Huntington Beach is around 420 miles. We could head to Hunting Island and spend 2 days getting back by traveling another backroads route.....hmmmm.......it is further south.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #13

Hey dont take my word on Hunting Beach as I have not been there as it is close to Myrtle Beach . if you go to Hunting Beach please post your experience as I would consider it if it was out of the way and laid back. We are going to Hunting Island in July when my sister will be at Hilton Head.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #14

Were going to try myrtle beach state park the first week of may, never been there but I have a friend who lives close by and says it's nice.

Mike & Trena Green , "Sunny" our camping cockatiel.
2002 Rockwood 2104
1996 F250 SB 2wd Ps
02 rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #15

Hunting Island

We have stayed there several times over as many years. The beach seems to change every year just a little. The sites are very nice, the bike trails are great and the local biking around town is very nice. The movie " The Big Chill " was filmed in Beaufort along with several other movies. The downtown area is a good place to eat and just walk around. The river front downtown is on the inter coastal waterway. The marine base is close by, airplanes are very loud......I grew up around Savannah, so this is like home..enjoy...nats are bad during the summer...take fabric softner sheets...you will be amazed..
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

To do a little follow up, we spent last week at Huntington Beach State Park near Murrell's Inlet, SC. This is about 20 miles south of Mrytle Beach.

It is a great place to camp. There is a choice of open, wooded, or combination sites. The sites are graveled, fairly level, are roomy and not on top of other campers, and have a fire-pit and picnic table. There are only a few sites with sewer connections, but all except the tent sites have water and 30 amp service. There are 2 accesses to the beach from the campground, and we could actually hear the waves from our site. The showers are a little outdated, and 1 out of 2 were broken in the men's room on the station that we used....I did not go into the other 2 stations.

There is bike path that extends north up through "Restaurant Row" in the town of Murrell's Inlet. The missus and I biked about 6 miles, ate at Creek Ratz, and then biked the 6 miles back. I did some more mileage south along the path, which I promptly got lost in a residential area when the bike path led into. The path continues on south, but not very far. I got in a total of 27 miles that day.

Bike riding is also possible on the hard-packed beach sand on the high tide area.....I did a couple of miles on that, and it was great riding with the wind......but a chore coming back against the wind.

We also took our canoe out for a 1/2 day trip in the marsh area of Murrell's Inlet. The winter home of the Huntington's is on the Park, and that is a great self guided tour.

Overall, we really liked the campground and surrounding area, and hope to get back there, maybe next year.

Can you believe that I forgot to take pictures of the campground ?? My bad.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #17

Myrtle Beach Travel Park is the best place in Myrtle. Once in Sep 2007, once in Sep 2008, twice in 2009, twice in 2010, twice in 2011, and booked for May this year and back in Sep. The people working there keep the showers very clean, they are in there at least twice a day. I think we paid $48 a night last Sep, off season, May is off season as well. Very easy to get to right off the end of SC22, make a right. No long lines when you go out for food. We like the May - Sep thing because of the wonderful friends we made there. PM me if you want more information. 642 miles one way for me. If you like rubens, there is a place two blocks away, bring your bicycle, best anywhere, my first stop.
2021 Chevy High Country 6.6 gasoline
Hensley Arrow, best investment ever!
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote