Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Advice Please -- Tennessee

Good morning!

For those who have been there.....We are thinking of camping at a COE around J Percy Priest Lake, TN, and when heading North, would like to avoid Nashville, TN.

Our questions: How are the roads SR's 231 and 31 North? (Two lane; easy grades or mountainous; and are there many curves?) Thinking of taking those to Bowling Green, KY to pick up I-65N.

Or, would you take I-840 to I-40W to the outer belt on the East side of Nashville to I-65 on the North side and hope for the best. Our past experiences going thru Nashville resulted in time spent sitting in traffic congestion.

Thanks.

Deb
Windjam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

I took that route 2 years ago and it was more scenic than 65. Some hills but no long grades. We enjoyed the drive although it took a little more time than taking the interstate.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Thank you, that's a relief to hear.

Did you happen to camp at one of the COE Campgrounds around J Percy Priest Lake, and if so, would you go back? (We love COE's, just have not been to any in that area yet.)

Thank you.

Deb
Old 08-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd stay at Nashville shores Rv park personally.
Right on Percy priest lake.
Been there twice.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #5

The two COE campgrounds on Percy Priest Lake are both excellent! One is between Smyrna and LaVergne ( called Poole Knobs) and is a bit off the beaten path. It is not far from 840, getting off at the Smyrna exit, then heading north towards LaVergne. Look for a large sign telling you where to turn. It is less populated than Seven Points campground, in Nashville. seven Points is beautiful but you need to have reservations as it fills up every weekend and is also crowded during the week until after Labor Day. It is accessible from I-40, also following the signs, going past Percy Priest Dam. 231 North is a nice straight mostly two lane road, connecting Murfreesboro to Lebanon accessing I-40. Or I believe you can continue on 231 north until you get into Kentucky. Hope this helps!
Pat Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Other than rush hour, I wouldn't worry that much about traffic in Nashville myself. From Percy Priest, I would say north on 24, then hit Briley Parkway, which will take you to I65 and you're on your way! Not sure when you're going, but I think all the COE campgrounds around there close for the season in mid October.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

TURBS, thanks so much for the recommendation for Nashville Shores RV Park, I'm certain it is nice, but we wil be going many miles out of our way to be able to stay at one of the COE Campgrounds -- they just have a special place in our hearts and are normally so well layed out, spacious, clean, and with my Senior Discount -- you can't beat the price!

I want to mention that we have been using the second AC we added to our Windjammer this past Spring (with your help) -- got us thru the heat and humidity of Atlanta, GA area this summer! Thanks again so much.

Pat Nelson and conceptumator, thank you both for the information on the COE's and routes.

Deb
Old 08-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

We stayed at Anderson Road Campground (COE) about 4 weeks ago. The campground is located on the south side of the lake with access from I-24 or I-40 (recommended). We enjoyed the waterfront site and we had 50 amps for both AC. We also toured Seven Points (north side of the lake) and found it to be a beautiful waterfront campground. Its on our short list of campgrounds to watch for short notice waterfront trips. You can't go wrong here. I-40 access only to Seven Points.

We also discovered a new private campground that hasn't been open long and is still under construction. It is called Safe Harbor RV Resort. It costs a bit more but the views from the peninsula are truly fantastic. You can get a sense of the layout at: https://www.facebook.com/safeharborRVresort/

Enjoy!!
RedhawkCC is offline   Reply With Quote