Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Allegany County, MD campgrounds other than Rocky Gap

Hi All - I'm looking to park our pull behind for a month because my daughter is having a baby and I want to be near by. She is in LaVale, MD. Naturally first place I looked was Rocky Gap because it's 15 minutes away but I was very disappointed to learn they don't have water or sewer hook up. Couldn't believe it. They have a dump spot but this just won't work for a month park.

I'm looking for something within 30 minutes from Lavale if possible. I like woodsy area not these big open fields for RV's/campers and I'd love it to have cable hookup, water and sewer hookup although I have a tailgator but it doesn't do well in trees.

Any suggestions would be awesome. The WVA and PA lines are right there too so I'm open to anywhere in that general vicinity. Thanks.
harley0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

Actually I see they have water refill areas at Rocky Gap in each loop. Wonder if anyone has stayed there and do you have to rehook up and move the camper to refill or will a hose run that far. Also wondering if there are any lots with open enough area water Tailgator reception.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #3

I believe the MD State Parks have a maximum stay of 14 or 15 days.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

yeh I see that. I'm looking at any campground. Can't believe there aren't ton in that area.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 AM   #5

Not sure how far you're willing to be from Lavale but Shawnee SP is about 30 to 40 minutes N up 220 in PA.

It also has a maximum stay of 14 days although I believe it's 21 prior to memorial day. Most state and federal facilities, if not all, are going to have some type of max stay limit. (There are ways to skate around that). We live in SW PA and most private campgrounds in the area are geared toward seasonal with a good percentage of them being dumps, parking lots, or laid out to pack you in like sardines. Add to that a lot are packed full with workers for the Marcellus Shale gas industry although I'm not sure how that's affecting places out near Cumberland.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #6

Little Orleans

Little Orleans is 45 minutes away and a beautiful location on the upper Potomac. I've camped there but i know they have full hook ups. It's in the woods and you only want to pull the trailer there once, and use your truck for the baby visits. i think they have monthly rates too.
Little Orleans Campground'
BaltimoreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Did you check out Hidden Springs Campground?
It's only 4 miles further up the same road as Rocky Gap SP but is across the line in PA.
We've stayed there a time or two.
Not fancy but OK.

Also, Mason-Dixon Campground near Finzel, MD.
Only 3 miles from I-68 and about 15 miles from La Vale.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

We've also stayed at Hidden Springs. It was bought by new owners last year and they are working to restore it. They had made some good progress from when we visited in March to when we stayed in July. Not the fanciest, but a nice campground at a good price.
jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Did you check out Hidden Springs Campground?
It's only 4 miles further up the same road as Rocky Gap SP but is across the line in PA.
We've stayed there a time or two.
Not fancy but OK.

Also, Mason-Dixon Campground near Finzel, MD.
Only 3 miles from I-68 and about 15 miles from La Vale.
I was going to suggest Hidden Springs Campground also. We've stayed there a few times and they recently became a Passport America campground. You actually have to turn into Rocky Gap then turn right on the road into PA.

Congratulations on the New Family Member that is on the way!
Debbie
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #10

Thanks all - I checked with Hidden Springs, they are booked but also have no wifi. I really need wifi because I'll need to work as well on and off. Lavale sits between WVA and PA so I'm certainly willing to be in MD, WVA or PA but somewhat nearby. We visited one yesterday by Fort Ashby in WVA but it was like a field by a creek and literally reminded me of Welcome to Myrtle Manor. A little dirty and scary looking. Being I'm going to be alone a lot of the time at night I that place scared me.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley0327 View Post
Thanks all - I checked with Hidden Springs, they are booked but also have no wifi. I really need wifi because I'll need to work as well on and off. Lavale sits between WVA and PA so I'm certainly willing to be in MD, WVA or PA but somewhat nearby. We visited one yesterday by Fort Ashby in WVA but it was like a field by a creek and literally reminded me of Welcome to Myrtle Manor. A little dirty and scary looking. Being I'm going to be alone a lot of the time at night I that place scared me.
WIFI in campgrounds around the area you are inquiring about is spotty at best. ( I live within 30 minutes of La Vale)
It is such a rural area, the infrastructure (cable, fiber, etc.) simply doesn't exist in most places so it costs the campgrounds an arm and a leg to get services brought in or at best, they have to rely on dial up.

Cell service is somewhat spotty too but is likely your best bet for data.

If you are willing to come to the Somerset, PA area (45-60 minutes away) you could check out Pioneer Park Campground or Huston's Hickory Hollow.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #12

campgrounds in allegany county

Hi ! Harley. I live in Cumberland which is about 6 miles from La Vale. What everyone is saying is pretty much true. Rocky Gap has one Loop A which has electric , no sewerage. There are water outlets in each loop but would only help if you could get a site near one. Hidden Springs is the next closest with full hookups. Little Orleans would put you about 50 minutes from Cumberland because the Campground is quite a few miles from the interstate. It is a nice campground. The place you were talking about in Fort Ashby just opened a couple years ago. I don't know much about it. You will not get any wi-fi at any of these Campgrounds. The cell service in the area is better than has been stated. Our main carriers in the area are U.S Cellular and AT& T. there is some Verizon service but practically no Sprint. There is a nice campground in Bedford Pa. called Friendship Village. This would put you about 30 minutes from Cumberland. You didn't say when you were planning on being in the area.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg