Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Asheville NC to Thornville OH

Has anyone gone north using US-23 from NC to OH versus using I-77 or I-75? We are familiar with 77 and 75, though we've only driven 75 and haven't had the pleasure of doing the toll booths on 77 yet (also we haven't done our homework yet re: campgrounds on 77, as we will make it a two day trip and will want to stop somewhere on 77 if we have to go that way). I love driving but prefer the smaller roads instead of the big highways. We will be in our FR3 and towing an Equinox. We will be heading out for our first long trip in July - Asheville to Ohio and then to Missouri. Very excited, a little nervous Your opinions/suggestions appreciated!! Robin & Dana
Old 04-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

I have ridden Rt. 23 through Ohio on my Motorcycle. It is a very flat rt, relatively straight and mostly a divided 4 lane highway between Columbus and Kentucky line. I am not sure about campgrounds, but it does pass through downtown Columbus which I would avoid. I believe it continues all the way into the UP of Michigan.

Travel safely! OH....

Dave
Cleveland, Ohio
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

23 through Kentucky would be my main concern, although I've never driven that route, I have been in the area it travels through. Traveled 77 to NC in my Georgetown and was an easy drive, toll boths no problem, but may want to stay to the outside booths, as they are wider.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #4

I took that route about three years ago from Michigan to Franklin NC. Kentucky was really nice but there's a pretty good hill when you cross into Virginia. I think I made good time too.
retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #5

Thank you so much for your replies. Though we aren't going up through Columbus this trip, we still have family there - right, I wouldn't want to get close to downtown!! These daggone hills... We have two tunnels on 77 or a "pretty good hill" going into Virginia. Decisions decisions. Thanks, again!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Do It Yourselfer

If you like the small routes, ....Come up I-77 and pick up U.S. 33 near Ravenswood, Wv.
U.S. 33 will bring you thru Athens, the Hocking Hills, and Lancaster.... in Lancaster take U.S. 22 (Main Street) East bound thru town about 2 miles and pick up St.Rt.188 (Cherry St.). Go by our house and about 10 mile up 188 you'll be in Thornville, Ohio.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #7

I have never taken 23 that far south. but have taken from columbus to chillicothe ( then 35 to Rio Grande College) pretty flat and uneventful. I know Thornville very good. Used to deliver pizzas there for years in the early 90's. never paid attention then but are there campgrounds around there?
Camp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
Do It Yourselfer

Nearest campground would be the KOA in Buckeye Lake.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote