Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by realebill View Post
these launches are one of the perks of having a seasonal site in Chincoteague,Va. if we're not at the trailer for an upcoming launch,it's just a short 3 hr. drive away !
What campground are you at on Chincoteague?
2016 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max (sold)
Jjsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #42
Always Learning

I definitely want to plan a trip down that way around one of the upcoming launches. I'd love to be closer and see something like this.

realbill- where are seasonal at?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #43
Always Learning

A question over on RV.net asked about places to dry camp/boondock/whatever along the roadside near there got me to look at campgrounds in the area:
Google/Google Maps search of campgrounds near Wallops

Fortunately there is a Thousand Trails park just south of there that should get a nice show. Ideally, we'd camp there and drive up to find where we can be closer to the launch to see it better.

But, the question of - where could you just pull off the road with a camper and stay for a day/two for a launch intrigues me. Would be quite a memorable experience for the us and the kidlets!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #44

Having never boondocked, I am not sure of the requirements, but the sides of those roads may not lend itself to boondocking (in my mind). There is a good sized parking lot at the Food Lion - but have never seen anyone boondock there. I bet you would get a good view from the Wallops visitor center parking lot, but have never seen anyone boondocking there either - and they close up right at about 5:00 pm with a gate. Do not know if this changes around a launch. It would be cool if they allow it at those times..
We camp in chincoteague every year - will have to check the schedule and see if there is a launch that coincidences with our next trip.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #45

We've talked about visiting the ponies. Last year was too busy but maybe we can get it together this year in time for a launch.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
We've talked about visiting the ponies. Last year was too busy but maybe we can get it together this year in time for a launch.
We got a real good view of the ponies when we went on the bus tour from the Bateman education center. Can not get off the bus though. Had two herds mixing it up in front of the bus with the stallions putting up a show. Was very cool. For those who don't know, the ponies are now kept away from the people areas (this only applies to the Virginia horses - the Maryland side is different). A small herd is on the south end and can usually be seen from the car, though they are far in the distance. Most of the ponies are kept north of the beaches. The most comfortable way to see them, is this bus, air conditioned and bug free. I forget how much it was, but it was not too expensive (cheaper than one of the boat tours).
Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjsav View Post
What campground are you at on Chincoteague?
we are at Pine Grove Campground. this will be our 2nd year there.We started out at Shady Pine on Deep Hole Rd,but unfortunately they were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy and the owners decided not to reopen.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I definitely want to plan a trip down that way around one of the upcoming launches. I'd love to be closer and see something like this.

realbill- where are seasonal at?
we are in our 2nd year on a seasonal site at Pine Grove Campground on Deep Hole Rd. http://www.pinegrovecampground.com/
Old 10-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #49

Heads up. Rocket launch tonight from Wallops!!!!! Launch time is 6:45 pm tonight.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #50

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #51
Always Learning

Even better, the International Space Station will also be visible at around 6:49 (for the east coast, at least). Would be very cool to see a picture with both in it.

ISS details: visible for 6 minutes; max height: 81 degrees; appears/disappears: NW/SE.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:50 AM   #52

Lucked out, we are camping less than 50 miles from wallops. Thinking of taking a drive up the coast to get a closer view.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #53

You are lucky, we keep hoping to get a launch occuring while we are in chincoteague each summer, but none so far.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Even better, the International Space Station will also be visible at around 6:49 (for the east coast, at least). Would be very cool to see a picture with both in it.

ISS details: visible for 6 minutes; max height: 81 degrees; appears/disappears: NW/SE.
I'll see if I can get that pix!! Timing wise, it should be close. From my location, would be about right angle.

I hope I done fall asleep til then. I got up at 7 am yesterday, worked around house all day, tried to sleep from 7Pm till 1am but couldn't, went to work from 1 until 4:30. I'm so tired can hardly think. Oh, at 3am a deer hit the side of my work van while I was at a light. Like WTF was that and looked to see a nice buck running away...pix of horn scratch as proof..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1414440022991.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	65427  
Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #55
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I'll see if I can get that pix!! Timing wise, it should be close. From my location, would be about right angle.

I hope I done fall asleep til then. I got up at 7 am yesterday, worked around house all day, tried to sleep from 7Pm till 1am but couldn't, went to work from 1 until 4:30. I'm so tired can hardly think. Oh, at 3am a deer hit the side of my work van while I was at a light. Like WTF was that and looked to see a nice buck running away...pix of horn scratch as proof..

Bwahahaha. I had a deer run up to road while I was driving "space highway" down below Roundtop. It made a hard turn so it wouldn't hit me and kicked a dent into one of my fenders. I was equally dumbfounded. No pics, though.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 PM   #56
Always Learning

Launch was cancelled due to a boat wing where it shouldn't be. Drat. My flight was even delayed- I could have seen it!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post

My sister had o be jump into the side of her suv one day. Luckily, the kids were all at school and not in the burb.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #58

We camp straight across from Pad 39 at the cape, about 7 miles away while in FL from Jan to Mar and really enjoy seeing the launches. My nephew was deputy commander of space flight for Air Force and we got to see several go up.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #59

That did not go well.... blew up on lift off. Good thing it was unmanned.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #60

I hate it when that happens.