Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 07:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think with the better fuel mileage that all vehicles are getting the Federal and state governments are going to have to tax drivers by how many miles they drive a year
This will never fly, they'll just raise DMV fees on all vehicles to add road funding. The real issue is keeping the State Legislatures from diverting the funding to other pork projects like they do now.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #42

My go to speed is 60 mph. That being said I will occasionally get up to 65 or maybe 70 going down hills but on level ground you will find me running around 60 mph. My RV is heavy. I know that. I am within limits but closer to max than I would like to be so I account for that. Power to accelerate is not a problem but I need to constantly be aware that I cannot stop as quickly with the trailer attached. I am border line as to going to a bigger truck or to a smaller RV (or motor home) due to my age. So, it is what it is. If I have planned my day where I need to run faster than 60 then I have planned poorly.
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:28 PM   #43
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAK View Post
That was actually talked about in Illinois, but the pols ran away from it during the election and denied they had ever even heard of such a thing. The deal is to remove fuel taxes at the pump and replace them with a lbs. per mile tax regardless to whether you run gas, diesel or electric. Supposedly it keeps big rigs and cars at about what they presently pay, but captures the increasing amount of electric powered miles that are presently missed, even though they use and abuse the same roads and infrastructure.
The problem with that approach is that it ignores all the out of state drivers. States that do a large tourist trade would be very unhappy with that method. Of course, new tech at the pump or register would allow the transaction to be adjusted for out of state drivers.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #44
jkoenig24

Over 10,000 people a DAY reach their 65th birthday. Even if ONLY 0.1% decide to get an RV to "see America", that means that OVER 30,000 people a year start RVing. Many (most?) of those newbies DON'T get a GOOD education before or when they start. They go to an RV show or RV Dealer where they get a warm welcome and a sales person who pushes for a quick sale, assuring them that they'll be fine. VERY few new RVers (and many with some years and miles under their belts) really don't understand the numbers (which ARE confusing). GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, Tongue Weight Rating, Wheel/Tire/Bearing Ratings etc, etc, etc. It's confusing to seasoned RVers; imaging how a newbie feels (once they realize that these numbers are important). Then consider that MANY RVs start with skimpy weight allowances for all the "stuff" RVers often want to bring with them. Yes, there are RVs with generous weight allowances but, most (all?) are high end RVs which are rarely bought be 1st time purchasers. I regularly recommend that newbies especially, find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Sadly, I believe those who DO get that valuable training comprise a VERY small percent of RVers. I would LOVE to see the RV industry act to make that information known to buyers (perhaps they could offer a coupon / discount to an RVBC). There are now several groups that run RVBCs including Escapees RV Club, FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams and RVEducation101.com quickly come to mind. I've NEVER spoken with an RVBC "grad" who was sorry that they attended RVBC. Even RVers who have a few seasons under their belt would benefit from attending an RVBC. Right now, RVing has been loosely regulated and largely self policing. One of my fears is that, in a relatively short period of time, if there were to be a number of SERIOUS RV accidents, it would lead to big changes in how people can RV (special licensing, registration and inspection; RVs being required to stop at Weigh Stations, extra fees and more). A couple of decades ago, Federal DOT did a major overhaul of truck registration and licensing. If the RV Industry doesn't help itself and its' customer base, some official is likely to step in and have the government do it for us. Does the RV Industry think that more government rules would be a good thing? I don't.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 AM   #45

Bernoulli Knew

When two vehicles drive next to each other there is a net force of attraction between them, because the air flow between the two is faster which decreases the pressure and pushes the two together.

Now, suppose you're driving a trailer at 75 mph past a big rig going 60mph on your right. As your trailer passes the big rig it gets pushed to the right, then to the left as you move past. This causes your trailer to sway to the right, then to the left. Enough sway and you lose control.

There's a great youtube video that shows this effect causing a trailer to lose control and roll over
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Over 10,000 people a DAY reach their 65th birthday. Even if ONLY 0.1% decide to get an RV to "see America", that means that OVER 30,000 people a year start RVing. Many (most?) of those newbies DON'T get a GOOD education before or when they start. They go to an RV show or RV Dealer where they get a warm welcome and a sales person who pushes for a quick sale, assuring them that they'll be fine. VERY few new RVers (and many with some years and miles under their belts) really don't understand the numbers (which ARE confusing). GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, Tongue Weight Rating, Wheel/Tire/Bearing Ratings etc, etc, etc. It's confusing to seasoned RVers; imaging how a newbie feels (once they realize that these numbers are important). Then consider that MANY RVs start with skimpy weight allowances for all the "stuff" RVers often want to bring with them. Yes, there are RVs with generous weight allowances but, most (all?) are high end RVs which are rarely bought be 1st time purchasers. I regularly recommend that newbies especially, find and attend an RV Boot Camp. Sadly, I believe those who DO get that valuable training comprise a VERY small percent of RVers. I would LOVE to see the RV industry act to make that information known to buyers (perhaps they could offer a coupon / discount to an RVBC). There are now several groups that run RVBCs including Escapees RV Club, FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams and RVEducation101.com quickly come to mind. I've NEVER spoken with an RVBC "grad" who was sorry that they attended RVBC. Even RVers who have a few seasons under their belt would benefit from attending an RVBC. Right now, RVing has been loosely regulated and largely self policing. One of my fears is that, in a relatively short period of time, if there were to be a number of SERIOUS RV accidents, it would lead to big changes in how people can RV (special licensing, registration and inspection; RVs being required to stop at Weigh Stations, extra fees and more). A couple of decades ago, Federal DOT did a major overhaul of truck registration and licensing. If the RV Industry doesn't help itself and its' customer base, some official is likely to step in and have the government do it for us. Does the RV Industry think that more government rules would be a good thing? I don't.
You may think that your 'heart' is in the 'right place' to 'ask' (tell?) people to 'learn' 'all things RV', but your 'post' screams 'regulations'. I have had and still do have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) for 43years. Government CDL Regulations are a lot of hoops to jump through for the 'driver' (and companies), YEAR after YEAR. The regulations are a 'Cost vs Benefit' trade off.Those 'regulations' do not make the CDL driver a good driver. Day after day of driving does that. There are too many 'regulations' in 'all things' 'in life' in this country as it is. We are now a very much 'dumb down' society and most 'want' the Gov. of 'watch over everyone and everything' from cradle to grave. Life does not work that way. Some want the freedom to 'get off the porch' (some should never leave the house).

'Driving' (and RVing/camping) is a skill that must be used over and over again to be any good at. Knowledge and skill does fade when not used. Most/many are not able to learn the 'skills' with any type of perfection in the first place. Forced learning makes for false confidence, and ends badly.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
You may think that your 'heart' is in the 'right place' to 'ask' (tell?) people to 'learn' 'all things RV', but your 'post' screams 'regulations'. I have had and still do have a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) for 43years. Government CDL Regulations are a lot of hoops to jump through for the 'driver' (and companies), YEAR after YEAR. The regulations are a 'Cost vs Benefit' trade off.Those 'regulations' do not make the CDL driver a good driver. Day after day of driving does that. There are too many 'regulations' in 'all things' 'in life' in this country as it is. We are now a very much 'dumb down' society and most 'want' the Gov. of 'watch over everyone and everything' from cradle to grave. Life does not work that way. Some want the freedom to 'get off the porch' (some should never leave the house).

'Driving' (and RVing/camping) is a skill that must be used over and over again to be any good at. Knowledge and skill does fade when not used. Most/many are not able to learn the 'skills' with any type of perfection in the first place. Forced learning makes for false confidence, and ends badly.
Disagree

For people that know nothing this better than not taking training. I also had a CDL and let it lapse due to non use and you are correct once skills are learned people retain that. You do not have to be a OTR driver to know right from wrong but knowledge from a boot camp helps.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Disagree

For people that know nothing this better than not taking training. I also had a CDL and let it lapse due to non use and you are correct once skills are learned people retain that. You do not have to be a OTR driver to know right from wrong but knowledge from a boot camp helps.
The point of my post is to NOT 'creep' to more Regulations.
Learning is great and needed. Forced learning breeds false confidence.
Very bad things happen with false confidence.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #49

How many of us see bad drivers on a daily basis. These are a product of forced licensing and simply memorizing the drivers license manual.

As a 30 mile commuter, I count incidents that I have to take action on, like getting cut off. It usually works out to 3 per day, but sometimes gets as high as 6.

This is mostly personal cars and pickup trucks, but commercial trucks sometimes add to the count.

Personal responsibility is nearly lost in this country because of government intrusion into everything, especially education and regulation.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
The point of my post is to NOT 'creep' to more Regulations.
Learning is great and needed. Forced learning breeds false confidence.
Very bad things happen with false confidence.
X2
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, towing