Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #1

Balsam Mountain

Has anyone been to Balsam Mountain Campground in North Carolina? It looks right up our alley. Nice temps even in the summer, etc.

We have a 2306 (so a bit over 23' ball to bumper) and a pickup. So certainly not a huge rig. Slightly concerned about size and configuration/layout and comments some people make online.

Thoughts?
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #2

I tent camped there a long time ago and really liked it. It's a true camping area, because it's quite a drive to get down to any nearby towns. And it's a steep drive, too.

I looked online to see if it changed much. Doesn't seem to have changed from what I remember. All the trailers had to park on the road next to the sites, meaning you were sleeping in the roadway. Slideouts would be a problem, and may not be allowed (but don't know). I don't think there's even a dump station.

The only time I have ever seen bears near a campground was there. Rangers police open food containers pretty heavily because of them.

I personally like Smokemont Campground. Much easier to get to, convenient to Cherokee if you need it, very remote feel to the campground, and right next to one of the best small fly-fishing streams in the Smokies (Bradley Fork).

Hopefully others will chime in, because like I said, it was a long time ago. But I've been stomping around the Smokies off and on for 30 years. Nothing has really changed that much in the park (and that's a good thing).

Tags
mount