Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Baltimore, MD to Disney World

Looking for any suggestions of stops and rv parks to stay on our trip from Baltimore, Maryland to Disney World in Florida in April. We are looking to make the trip in 2-3 to get down there without feeling rushed and allowing our twin 4 year olds to tolerate the trip. Really wanting to stop in Savannah Georgia, but also wanting to stick close enough to 95 so we aren't wasting too much time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #2

All will depend on how far each day you want to travel, we have used The RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids NC also The New Green Acres in Walterboro SC and also Lake Harmony in Townsend Ga. All 3 within 2 miles of 95.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Oh! Pick me! Pick me! We did this trip a year ago at Christmas.

For the driving down, we long hauled it on the way down. We left at 11pm, stopped for breakfast for an hour and a half and then pushed on. We hit northern Orlando and stayed at a hotel for the first night at like 6:15pm.

On the way back, we stopped the first night at Whispering Pines RV Park in Rincon, NJ. It was a good day's worth of a drive. The second night we hit a hotel again and then had a short hop home.

I was just mapping out a trip to Key West and worked out a trip down over 4 nights. My last night before Key West is just south of there. Here's that plan:

Day 1:
Leave Home
Kosmo Village RV Campground
"11197 Washington Hwy.
Glen Allen, VA 23059"

Day 2:
Leave Kosmo
South of the Border RV
"3346 Highway 301 North
Hamer, SC 29547"

Day 3:
Leave SOTB
Arrive Country Oaks Campground
"6 Carlton Cemetery Rd, Kingsland, GA 31548"

From Country Oaks, it shouldn't be too far from Orlando.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #4

Thank you! Now the hard part is narrowing down how Long we want to take to get there!

I would like to take 2 days but the husband wants 3... I will be mapping it all out today.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

2 days of driving is about 450 miles each day. When I plan for trips, I hope for 50mph overall (including stops) but realistically end up at 45mph when it is all said and done. With my kids, we just take a while when we stop!

Figuring 450 miles at 45mph is 10 hours of driving. By then I'm angsty and stressed and arriving at my destination in the dark. Not bad for an overnight as I pick places that cater to overnights (pull thrus and level sites- I strive to not have to unhook).

My ideal day is less than 200 miles. My average day is preferred at 250 miles. 300 and over is a long day.

If y'all are morning people, it's not as bad. My entire family are late risers. It's hard for us to get pulled out and going before 11 or so. Add 10 hours to 11 and you get where I'm coming from!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

In 2000 we lived in Westminster Maryland and that was our 3rd trip as new campers. I drive approx 500 miles and that put us at South Of The Boarder, we stayed there for the night and then drove the rest of the way the next day which was approx 415 miles.
If I could really remember I believe it was a total of 920 miles from our drive way to the entrance to Ft Wilderness.
We had two kids and a yellow lab. This gave the kids and my wife a break from the road and they went swimming in the pool at South Of The Boarder.
Our trip was the last two weeks in June......it was HOT there.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

Make the trip every year from Manassas, VA. First day we push a little bit and get down to SC on the first day and usually stay at the Point South KOA which is I95 exit 33 (33miles from the GA boarder.) An alternative is New Green Acres which is at exit 53. We leave usually by around 8am and get to Point South around 7-8pm that night. That includes usually a long stop for lunch, and we hold off dinner to make the extra time. Now thats 530 miles for us with bathroom brakes, a fuel stop, and lunch. From Baltimore would be pushing it.

If you tone down the distance to two days I can say that South of the Border (about 400 miles for you) has a decent little campground, its far enough away from the rest of the tourist trap, fuel is availible, the sites are easy to pull through and most of all its perfectly cheap for an overnight. I cannot comment on the campground facilities, I use my own and all the sites are full hookup. It does not add too much time for me, so I hookup.

That leaves you about 450 miles to the FW front door. Of course if you can make it down near Florance, SC that makes day 2 a little less driving.

Our philosphy is simple, make the big push on the first day and run as much distance as we can without pushing outselves. That means we arrive sooner on day 2 which eases in setup and the overall building excitement.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #8

jgahlhoff

a great place to stop is Genny springs Fl. its just a short jog off 95 at Gainsesville, to the west to High springs lots of trees and a great spring
Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schusters07 View Post
Looking for any suggestions of stops and rv parks to stay on our trip from Baltimore, Maryland to Disney World in Florida in April. We are looking to make the trip in 2-3 to get down there without feeling rushed and allowing our twin 4 year olds to tolerate the trip. Really wanting to stop in Savannah Georgia, but also wanting to stick close enough to 95 so we aren't wasting too much time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I"m envious!! I wanted to make that trip from Houston to Fl specifically to WDW. We've done it in two days. I am curious how far in advance did you schedule your visit to WDW? We were hoping that back in Sept we could book a week between the third week of Jan to the second week of Feb to Fort Wilderness which we've been to before, only to find the park completely booked from Nov through March.

I have a slight personal issue with that and I hope I'm wrong - I am hoping that WDW tells me they are booked with people that are going to use the park and not just - at the risk of not wanting to insult anyone - a gaggle of folks just occupying the campground.

Thoughts?

David
dchaviland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #10

We booked this back in April, so a year in advance! They book up so extremely fast! You can start making your dining reservations 180 days in advance and I called at 160 days and there were a few things that were already booked up during our time there so I can certainly imagine the campground being booked this far out considering the campsites vs number of many room available at hotels both on and offsite!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app