Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #1

Baltimore Washington Parkway

I have a 40' diesel pusher motor home that is about 12.5' tall and will be heading south from NY. Does anyone know if I can travel on the Baltimore Washington Parkway (295)?

Thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Tom,

You should be okay on 295. I've traveled it before and I don't remember any low bridges on that route. If you are going around Baltimore I find that 695 is just as fast depending on what time of the day you catch it. For what it's worth your EZ Pass also works on the Baltimore bridges and toll roads which is kind of nice when you are driving a beast through the horrors of Balt-Wash traffic.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Be careful of the Baltimore tunnels. Don't ask me how I know that entering it with ONE 20 pound propane bottle can result in either a 100 dollar or 1000 dollar fine depending on the type ticket the cops want to give you.
The "Risking a Catastrophe" one is a killer.

Take the east side belt.

I thought I had made it until the toll taker pointed to the waiting cops on the side of the road.

Also the Baltimore Washington Parkway prohibits "trucks" so I take 95 when towing for that reason. Not sure if a pusher is considerd a truck like a towed camper is.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I have a 40' diesel pusher motor home that is about 12.5' tall and will be heading south from NY. Does anyone know if I can travel on the Baltimore Washington Parkway (295)?

Thanks.
tmmar, i just called the Maryland State police, the Glen Burnie barracks they control that area, and the answer to your question is......YES. If you would like to call them here is there phone number...410-761-5130.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #5

Last year we took a trip to Rockport Mass. Going up it took us 5 hours to get around DC. So on the way back. We took the Jersey Turnpike to below Philly. Then got on I-95. When we got just north of Baltimore, we took I-695 west around the city. About 2/3 of the way around we picked up I-70 west. Then took it across to I-81. From there we went across to I-77. The ride across I-81 is beautiful. The Blue Ridge Parkway is on your south side. You are just riding in a Valley. Plenty of places to stop. Once we got on I-77 we took it south, to Columbia, SC. Then pick up I-26 to I-95. It was about 2 hours longer, but the traffic wasn't as bad, as staying on I-95.
No problems with a 13ft high MH. Also, no mountains, a few hills.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #6

I have traveled on the BW Parkway for 6 years prior to my work location now, from Westminster Md to South /West DC. There is no problems using the Parkway with a pickups or vans as long as there is no commercial signs on them. Some companies have magnetic signs that they removed before using the parkway. As far as 18 wheelers, all of them are commercial and they are not allowed at all.

Warning!!!..... If you travel this far on the BW Parkway. The road known as The Baltimore/Washington Parkway (295) in Maryland is a good road to travel.......However once you get to DC, and you will know when you see a sign that says "New York Ave Exit" this is when you will pass by DC itself and the road sign will change to (DC 295) from this point on until you get to "Suitland Parkway Exit" is very dirty and trashy area, a lot of debits and junk on the shoulder of the road including car parts, the road is rough with uneven pavement. Once you get to "MalColm Dr Exit" the road smooths out.

9 years ago i was involved in a 9 car accident Northbound on DC 295 right there at MalColm Dr, the accident was so bad the seen was taped of with yellow crime scene tape for 2 hours. This was caused by a driver of a stolen car with expired temporary tags from VA traveling at over 90 miles an hour and this person didn't know that we were all stopped on the parkway because of bridge construction.

Stay away from this area between 6-9 am and 3-6 pm the people are NUTS.

As it has been suggested above, you may what to look at a different Rt.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Miss baltimore & dc completely

When traveling south to avoid the DC, Baltimore traffic:

Exit onto HWY 301 from I-95 at Newark, Delaware at exit # 1, follow Hwy 301/50 south to just past ANNAPOLIS, Maryland. Continue on hwy 301 to just north of Richmond, VA onto the beltway of 295 around Richmond.

Have used this many times!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post

Thanks.
Your OK on 295 south...only commercial restrictions. The lowest bridge is around 13'9" on the Parkway. However avoiding 295 from Rt. 32 in Ft. Meade, MD south to the Wilson Bridge would be advisable. As you come into DC out of Maryland the roads are narrow, in bad condition, and extremely congested in the afternoons. I've never been on 295 between RT. 50 and 495 during afternoon rush hour for less then an hour and a half. Plus, if you break down or have trouble on that small stretch of road.........You might as well have a sign that says free cash here?

I'd suggest, (to avoid tunnel restrictions and bad areas), to follow 95 south to 695 west (Towsen/Glen Burnie), to 95 south, to 495 east through Springfeild, VA to 95 south. If you can travel at night or hit the Wilson Bridge before 3pm would be best. Traffic south of the Wilson Bridge can back up for hours at any time. As mentioned before.....jumping off 95 and taking 301. You could jump off 95/695 onto 97 south to 301. It would be a good route too, but it's an additional hour with tons of lights between Rt. 32 and the VA line.
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Tom,

It sounds like yes, you can take 295, but do you really want to?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #10

Ed,
Sounding more and more like it is one road to avoid. We have friends who live on the Eastern Shore or Maryland and when we visit them we go the 301/50 route which is probably the way I'll go.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #11

You can take the BW expressway with a Travel trailer. Its better than 495 beltway in my opinion. I would not take it during rush hour as it get alot of traffic, and if there is an accident on it during traffic your stuck for the duration. Its like anything else a judgement call. Just my 2 cents. If you have commercial plates you can not use it,
2001 H-D Dyna
Honda 2000i
Champion gen 4000
buccello is offline   Reply With Quote