Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #1

Bar Harbor, Arcadia National Park

Hey all,
We're planning on taking a vacation up to Maine this July and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for campgrounds in Bar Harbor.

Thanks,
Ginger (Vizsla #1) & Bandit (Vizsla #2)

2010 Rockwood 8317SS Signature Ultralight
2005 Ford Excursion PSD - MBRP 4" Turbo back - Prodigy P3 - Dual Cam
2Vizslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

We stayed there. It is an awesome campground and will go again. We also took the truck to the CAT (if running) to Nova Scotia for an overnight adventure. Left the camper at the campground; parked the truck at the terminal; and walked on to the CAT Ferry for the round trip. Stayed at a hotel overnight there and did a lot of sight seeing.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #3

I would suggest staying at Acadia National Park. Acadia is the east's second busiest NP and the campground there will likely require a reservation. I have not been there in many years, but I look forward to a return visit hopefully in the next year or so.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

What campgrounds did you stay at???
Ginger (Vizsla #1) & Bandit (Vizsla #2)

2010 Rockwood 8317SS Signature Ultralight
2005 Ford Excursion PSD - MBRP 4" Turbo back - Prodigy P3 - Dual Cam
2Vizslas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

I went online and found the campground...we stayed at Seawall Campground in the park. I really liked at as kid and my folks took us there 3 times growing up. A return visit is in order for sure.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390bh

We have reservations at the KOA, but I know they are close to being totally booked for late July already, so plan ahead.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Grape Escape

Highly recommend Bar Harbour Campground. No reservations first come first occupied, lots of variety in sites(treed, open, pull thru) cash only accepted
Closest to Bar Harbour
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #8

We just stayed at Hadley's Point campground. It is not on the water like the KOA is but the rates were a lot more reasonable. Yhey have a variety of sites from wooded to open field . The hosts are very friendly and it is on the Acadia shuttle route.
fire58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #9

We camp in Bass Harbor Campground. It's out of the way and very reasonable and quiet.The people there are Super!! It is a ways from Bar Harbor but the scenery is beautiful. It is near Bass Harbor Lighthouse.
sbraxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #10

we stayed at Bass Harbor a few years ago. It is pretty rustic but it is pretty far out from Bar Harbor so it is much quieter. It is literally up the road from the lighthouse so if it is foggy you get the fog horn. There is a bouey (sp) of the rocks below the lighthouse with a bell on it that rings all night long. But these sounds actually enhanced the environment for me. Some people were upset by the sounds and that of the fishing boats leaving early in the am. but you get used to it and I actually liked them. The people there quite nice and the rates weren't bad.
fire58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #11

Smile RV Protection

Hello All,
I have a 2010 Rockwood 8319SS. On a trip to Western PA, I had extensive rock damage to the front cap of the TT. Does anyone know of an aftermarket product I can install to prevent this from happening again? A rock shield is definitely needed on this vehicle for protection. Thanks.
sbraxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #12

sbraxton, I think you will get better response to this in a different forum

We've been to Mount Desert Island 3 times in the last 4 years. We have stayed at the KOA in the Woodlands side. We preferred to be in the woods to being in the open on the water. The first time we went we were there for one week. When we were packing up we decided to come back and spend 2 weeks since there is so much to do. The Island Explorer shuttle buses are great. The dog could go on them anywhere we went. If you have a pet many places are pet friendly. There is a shop in Bar Harbor called Bark Harbor, they have a list of restaurants that are setup to bring your pet.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
We stayed there. It is an awesome campground and will go again. We also took the truck to the CAT (if running) to Nova Scotia for an overnight adventure. Left the camper at the campground; parked the truck at the terminal; and walked on to the CAT Ferry for the round trip. Stayed at a hotel overnight there and did a lot of sight seeing.
Sadly the CAT is no more
Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Sadly the CAT is no more
I think my heart just stopped....

Ah, there it goes.

What a shame, It was an awesome two day adventure.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #15

When we have gone we stay at Blackwoods, it is dry camping. It is a little work, but we have a portable waste tank (42 gallon) so we don't have to move the camper. Water is pretty close and we have a 6 gallon wheeled tank that our teens take care of. The sites for large trailer(over 24 feet) or RV's are grouped together so running your generator is not bad because everyone else is too. The Ranger run programs at night at the Amphitheater which are great. LL Bean(Island Explorer) buses run right into campground every 30 minutes. You have to go into Bar Harbor for groceries as the little store in Otter Creek closed. Bath house is privately owned and just outside the campground, it can get expensive to use for a family. The other place we like is in Southwest Harbor it's called SMUGGLER'S DEN CAMPGROUNDS(877-244-9033). They do have a website. They have all hook up plus an in ground heated swimming pool. They also have Bean's buses stop in the campgrounds and will take you into Bar Harbor. They are right next to Echo Lake which is a really nice fresh water lake to swim. They do have sand beach and bath houses. If I remember there is a path that you can walk to the lake. The salt water beaches can still be really cold and water can get a bit rough for younger kids. There is a super market right down the road from the campground (I think it's and IGA). You will not be disapointed with this trip no matter where you stay. There is so much to see and do. We love the hiking trails and kayaking!!!
2001 Lincoln Navigator All Wheel drive
hoovercab is offline   Reply With Quote