Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #1

Best Route From NE PA to Acadia National Park

Looking for suggestions on the best route to take from Northeastern PA to Bar Harbor ME. Used the GPS that came with Sunseeker on my last trip to New Hampshire and on the way home GPS directed us to a road with low overhead clearance. Fortunately wife saw the sign, I missed it. Could have been a big problem. Hopefully someone who has actually driven route can offer advice.

Thanks
Frankie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #2

We went up the interstates from Pittsburgh, across 84 and stayed overnight at Mohegan sun then up 395, 93, 95, 295, 95 to Bangor and in 1A once you are above Massachusetts it was wide open.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

This is the route that I have taken from Mount Pocono to Bar Harbor, Maine.
84E to 90E Sturbridge, Ma Spent the night at Thousand Trails, Sturbridge
90E to 495N, Boston Bypass
495N to 95N
95N to 395E, express way to U.S. Route 1A East
U.S. Route 1A east takes you to Ellsworth, Maine where you can connect to State Route 3 to Bar Harbor.
During my visit, I stayed at Narrows Too RV Resort. Thought the sites were more spacious than Mount Desert Narrows.

When do you plan on going during your trip? Also, if you have a dog, Bar Harbor is very pet friendly. Was able to take my dog into almost every shop.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Glad you didn't have an issue with low overhead. I remember in the mid 50s going with my Father as he delivered autos to small dealers in New England where there are many low overhear clearances once you get off the main roads. He would have to unload the autos from the top level of his truck, drive them thru the overpass and then reload them on the other side. If I remember correctly, in NE PA there are some low overpasses once you get off the main roads? Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
This is the route that I have taken from Mount Pocono to Bar Harbor, Maine.
84E to 90E Sturbridge, Ma Spent the night at Thousand Trails, Sturbridge
90E to 495N, Boston Bypass
495N to 95N
95N to 395E, express way to U.S. Route 1A East
U.S. Route 1A east takes you to Ellsworth, Maine where you can connect to State Route 3 to Bar Harbor.
During my visit, I stayed at Narrows Too RV Resort. Thought the sites were more spacious than Mount Desert Narrows.

When do you plan on going during your trip? Also, if you have a dog, Bar Harbor is very pet friendly. Was able to take my dog into almost every shop.

I would agree with the above.

Taking 495N skirts the Boston crazyness.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote