b) down to Syracuse then i-90 to 30 to 67 to i-87
c) Syracuse then i-90 to 30A to 29 to i-87
d)Watertown, 12 to i-90 (Utica) to 30A to 29 to i-87

Anyone familiar with these?
Thanks

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #2

Familiar with all of them. The answer would depend on what you are driving/pulling? Whether you just want to make good time, or do some site seeing? Or what your interests are.

a) would likely take you east on Rt 11 to Ellenburgh, then SE on Rt 190 to Plattsburgh and I-87. Some sites, mostly flat until you get to I-87, then you've got a few long hills, both up and down, until you get to LG. If you wanted a shorter route, there are any number of diagonal routes that run more directly through the Adirondack Park, mostly 45 to 55 mph roads, with lots of curves, mountains, beautiful sites, great villages (Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Blue Mountain Lake, Tupper Lake, etc.)

b) Fastest driving, but longer distance. 65 mph interstate all the way. Tolls on Thruway portion. Flatest route proposed.

c) A derivation of "b" with the eastern portion of I-90 avoided, and instead a diagonal through the foothills of the Adirondack's into Saratoga to I-87.

d) A different derivation of "b" with I-81 and the western portion of I-90 avoided. It'll take you down through the Old Forge area, which is another good area to site see.... Herkimer Diamond Mine, Old Forge Hardware Store (worth an hour or two), Mountainman Outdoor Shop, all good stops along this route.

So, IMHO, it depends on your interests, and how you like to travel.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
b) Fastest driving, but longer distance. 65 mph interstate all the way. Tolls on Thruway portion. Flatest route proposed.

c) A derivation of "b" with the eastern portion of I-90 avoided, and instead a diagonal through the foothills of the Adirondack's into Saratoga to I-87.

d) A different derivation of "b" with I-81 and the western portion of I-90 avoided. It'll take you down through the Old Forge area, which is another good area to site see.... Herkimer Diamond Mine, Old Forge Hardware Store (worth an hour or two), Mountainman Outdoor Shop, all good stops along this route.

So, IMHO, it depends on your interests, and how you like to travel.
I try to avoid hilly when possible, and was looking for get there safe and without much hassle. No plans of visiting the local areas along the road, although....I like option d with the stops mentioned, looks interesting.
Thanks
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote