Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Best time of year for Florida Keys Camping?

Planning a trip to begin after August 2016. What's the best time of year for the Keys? Hubby wants to fish! Should we take off and head there in September? Is it crazy with tourist then? Or is that a good time since kids will be back in school?
kgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #2

Anytime is a good time in the Keys Make sure you get reservations ASAP as the Snowbirds take up a lot of space down there.
We stay at Jolly Roger CG on Grassy Key right next to Marathon Key. We try to reserve a spot directly on the seawall as you are just inches from the Gulf waters. They have a good boat ramp and plenty of dock space available.
Marathon offers MANY marinas to rent boats or you can charter fishing boats at most of them. No shortage there. We carry an 11' inflatable boat with a 9.9 hp motor in the truck's bed. Not good for way offshore, but great for the close in fishing areas and lagoons where larger boats can't go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	100672  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

I love the Keys any time. Tourists seem to be there all the time, and remember, cruise ships visit KW maybe three times a week.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #4

Best fishing in the Keys is late Oct. thru Jan. I prefer to be there for Fantasy Fest and the week after or before. Plenty to do,temp is perfect, fishing has been great two times I have been. We left from Marathon for fishing party both times.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #5

We went the first two weeks in November. Beyond all but the rarest hurricane, great weather, tourists weren't all there yet.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #6

Best time I've found for camping anywhere in the Keys

I found the best time to be from Sept 1 thru Aug 31 Just watch the weather!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

We're going in May, alot cheaper out of season, but then we live in Central Fl, so no big deal.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
I found the best time to be from Sept 1 thru Aug 31 Just watch the weather!
Yep, that's the trade off. It cools down a little in September. Tourist are gone but the storms are around.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #9

Keys Camping

Heads up.... Heard that two campgrounds are closing. One in Key Largo....building Condos/Resort. The other in Marathon (Knights Keys) beside Sunset Grill. So people are already booking now for the future stays.
Staying at Grassy Keys now..

2015FR3 30DS
2014 Sonic

2015 Days camped 60+
2016 Days camped 60
WVFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #10

no see'ems

Are there any No See'ems (very tiny bugs with very big bites) there?
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Are there any No See'ems (very tiny bugs with very big bites) there?
You might run into sea lice that get on your skin, but no. Having lived in Florida my whole life I was never introduced to No seeums until I moved to NC!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #12

Or in May and Sept you get bombed out with those disgusting love bugs that splatter all over the front of your vehicle and even get into the house on the back of you shirt. And the odor they leave uggh.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
OYO

We've camped in the keys at least a dozen times, always jan-april. Our 1st trip was in 1972.

We prefer Long Key state park, but if we can't get in there, Jolley Roger is a nice, clean we'll run camp ground.

As for no-see-ums: they are there no doubt. But the thing about the keys is there is almost always a breeze, one side or the other (gulf/atlantic). Any breeze at all keeps them... somewhere other than on you.

The worst times are after a rain shower with a calm. But they don't keep us away.

We are headed down March 17th. Can't wait!
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #14

We go spring and fall months. If you can rangle a few nights at Bahia Honda SP that would be a huge plus. It's usually booked up but you can try.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

After having lived in Central Florida since 1998, I can offer only two things to watch for in your trip window:

1. Someone else mentioned love bugs. Take heed! They are truly nasty. Make sure you gave plenty of bug wash type washer fluid and a good windshield scrubbing brus as you're very likely to need to pull over at rest areas and clean them off so you can see. Also remember to clean them off the coach ASAP! Their bodies contain an acid that will eat through the paint rather quickly, especially if baked on by the sun. When you do wash them off, best thing to scrub them with is a dryer sheet - just abrasive enough to remove them but won't scratch the paint. Also, spray the area down and let the soapy water soak them for a while.

2. Hurricane season is June 1 to November 30. Expect a shirt rainshower daily, but it won't bother your plans. DO NOT ignore thunderstorms! If you're outside and see lightning, get under cover quickly. Florida us No. 1 for lightning strike deaths for a reason. If a storm is developing, don't even head that way. You don't want to be there if a storm is coming in and the non-residents will be the first to get mandatory evacuation

Beautiful place, though. Try to make it out to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. Really cool place. Have fun!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
After having lived in Central Florida since 1998, I can offer only two things to watch for in your trip window:

1. Someone else mentioned love bugs. Take heed! They are truly nasty. Make sure you gave plenty of bug wash type washer fluid and a good windshield scrubbing brus as you're very likely to need to pull over at rest areas and clean them off so you can see. Also remember to clean them off the coach ASAP! Their bodies contain an acid that will eat through the paint rather quickly, especially if baked on by the sun. When you do wash them off, best thing to scrub them with is a dryer sheet - just abrasive enough to remove them but won't scratch the paint. Also, spray the area down and let the soapy water soak them for a while.

2. Hurricane season is June 1 to November 30. Expect a shirt rainshower daily, but it won't bother your plans. DO NOT ignore thunderstorms! If you're outside and see lightning, get under cover quickly. Florida us No. 1 for lightning strike deaths for a reason. If a storm is developing, don't even head that way. You don't want to be there if a storm is coming in and the non-residents will be the first to get mandatory evacuation

Beautiful place, though. Try to make it out to Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas. Really cool place. Have fun!
Sounds crazy but after living in Florida for 30+ years I've learned that during our infamous love bug season that I will spray the front of our Motorhome with a couple of cans of Pam, except the windshield of course. Looks ugly as hell but when the season is over a light brushing with lots of water and they all wash away.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #17

Keys.

Best time? ... Anytime. Just remember....you're in the keys...go slow. Look. Listen. Be quiet. Adjust to the rhythm of sea and sky. You'll have a great experience .
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #18

Thanks All!!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
kgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping