Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Best way to Key West?

I'm looking for some insight into the different ways down FL to Key West. Google map thinks I should go down I-95. Not a fan of all the congestion there. I'll either be coming down I-75 from Atlanta or 231 from Alabama. Thinking of taking 27 thru the middle of the state. Any pros and cons of east coast west coast or middle? Road conditions, places to stay? Just want to make time going down, will dawdle and sight see on the way back. Appreciate any comments/suggestions.
Thanks, Bob and Carol
bclantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Always Learning

We just traveled from Maryland to Orlando to Miami to Key West.

In Orlando, we stayed from Wednesday to Sunday at the Thousand Trails Orlando (TTO) park. It's a nice place. We had plans at 2 different Disney things and 1 day at SeaWorld. It's convenient for those. I like the TTO park and the fact that my nights are pre-paid via my yearly dues, you can't beat the price with a stick!

On Sunday, we traveled to Miami to Larry and Penny Thompson Memorial Park for 2 nights. We followed the GPS which took us down the FL Turnpike. We bought a windshield stick-on Sunpass ahead of time. It cost me right about $33 for truck and 2-axle camper for the drive. Other than an accident, there was basically no traffic. I'd strongly suggest this park- easy to get around, easy to park at, and full hookups for $34/night.

On Tuesday, we traveled to Key West. Our purpose for staying in Miami was to give us an easy drive to Key West. It worked out and only took about 3 hours and $5 in tolls to get there.

The drive back was a long haul from Key West back to MD. We did it in 3 days- two at 500 miles per day and the last at 225 miles. The DC traffic was the worst that we dealt with, but it was a Saturday following major travel holidays. Sadly, it was also where I had not 1, but 2, close calls with other vehicles (one was where I and someone tried to merge into the same lane from opposite sides; the other was where someone all but stopped 2 lanes over to all but make a right turn for an exit).
Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
H2oski

If you're coming down I65 to Montgomery, AL, We are just south, outside of Dothan, AL and we have gone to Key West in 2 days not rushing and never got on an interstate.

Here it goes, from Montgomery 231S to 90E to Mariana, FL, 71S to Blountstown, 20 to 267 to 98E towards Perry, 19S to 44 at Crystal River to 27S at Leesburg. We spend the night in Clermont at Bee's RV Resort right on 27.

The next day 27S all the way through the Everglades and just south of I75 we get on 997S towards Homestead where we hit HWY1, next stop Key West.

From Dothan it's about 400 miles each day.

If you come down I75 then you can hit Hwy 27 just south of Wildwood about 15 miles from Bees RV resort.

Good luck and have fun.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Roger and Paula

Coming down on 75, take the turnpike and pay the tolls. Wen you cross the border, stop at the first greeting station, purchase a SunPass. Cost is minimal, you get a break on tolls, can activate by cell phone.

Don't take 75 all the way down as it will take you 100 miles out of the way, bringing you back across Alligator Alley. And 75 is a real danger zone. Always see wrecks.

Turnpike has rest areas with fuel. Take it all the way south until it ends. Watch the turns in Miami. A wrong turn will take you into downtown Miami. Stay on US 1 when the turnpike ends. It will take you down through Homestead, and through the Keys. Figure a 4 hour trip from the end of the turnpike to Key West. Pretty much 45 mph, single lane each way.
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclantz View Post
Just want to make time going down, will dawdle and sight see on the way back. Appreciate any comments/suggestions.
Thanks, Bob and Carol
Make time on the Florida Turnpike w/sunpass (or stop to pay) down and dawdle on US 27 on the way back (get ready for a bunch of towns and redlights).
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstrahan View Post
Coming down on 75, take the turnpike and pay the tolls. Wen you cross the border, stop at the first greeting station, purchase a SunPass. Cost is minimal, you get a break on tolls, can activate by cell phone.

Don't take 75 all the way down as it will take you 100 miles out of the way, bringing you back across Alligator Alley. And 75 is a real danger zone. Always see wrecks.

Turnpike has rest areas with fuel. Take it all the way south until it ends. Watch the turns in Miami. A wrong turn will take you into downtown Miami. Stay on US 1 when the turnpike ends. It will take you down through Homestead, and through the Keys. Figure a 4 hour trip from the end of the turnpike to Key West. Pretty much 45 mph, single lane each way.
Take it from a Florida boy, I second the above. I75 to the Turnpike and cruise all the way down until it drops you out in Homestead, then get on US1 for the rest of the way to Key West. Done that drive many, many times. A lot better than navigating the 6-8 lane speedway that is I95, especially towing....
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Not pulling a trailer, but back in the day we did 75 down to Orlando and then 95 back up to Ohio before crossing over to cut back up through Detroit home.

On 75 between Detroit and Florida you go straight through the middle of pretty much every major town and deal with the traffic accordingly. Skirting east and taking 95 you don't seem to hit that as much.

Not sure how it plays out once you're in Florida, but just getting down there I'd stay off 75.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-16-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Roger and Paula

27 goes down through Orlando, breaking off of 75 just south of the Turnpike exit. 75 goes down through Tampa, Sarasota, Naples, following 41 (Tamiami Trail).
Rstrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #9

27 is a nightmare until you get south of Sebring there are stoplights in some areas literally every block. Like other people have posted 75 to turnpike make sure you take the Homestead extention once you get near Miami and definitely get the sunpass mini.