Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #1

Big Big Trip

So last night watching the news about the impending storm and the fact that the state says to stay home and dont travel (second time this winter) I was looking at gulf coast camping....both my wife and I agreed to a big trip in early in the summer. Going to book Topsail and possible Gulf Shores State park and take 2 weeks off and head south....just wish it was this year.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #2

I can highly reccomend Big Lagoon State Park in Pensecola, it is beautiful!

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

I'm currently in Gulf Shores for the month of March so I'll drive over to Gulf State Park next week sometime and take some up to date photos and post them when I have the chance ryand.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

Later this year, 3000 miles, six states in two weeks.
Five hundred miles a day for six days if we have no trouble.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
So last night watching the news about the impending storm and the fact that the state says to stay home and dont travel (second time this winter) I was looking at gulf coast camping....both my wife and I agreed to a big trip in early in the summer. Going to book Topsail and possible Gulf Shores State park and take 2 weeks off and head south....just wish it was this year.

Gulf shores state park is very nice (if you can get in). You can get on their web site and see a lot of what they have. They do not have fire pits for a camp fire. I bought an outdoor above ground fire 'pit' from wally world and it was great. The year before we stayed there, a camper dumped his charcoal at the back of his unit. we were told that it smoldered for a day after they had left.... ended up burning the underbrush of more than half the park.... outwardly everyone that worked at the park was very unhappy about the 'uncontrolled burn'.... but talking to some of them a little longer, they all said that the underbrush needed to be burned back in a 'controlled burn'. Everything was popping up nice and green when we were there. We drove over from there to Pensacola to saw the air museum and Blue Angles flying team (check their schedule of demonstration at the base, it is must see)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Topsail is a great summer beach camping destination...we go every summer!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Oakman that would be awesome! Where are you staying?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

We LOVE Gulf State Park and we plan a trip to there every other year, alternating between Hunting Island SP in SC.

During the summer, it is HOT!! The beach is not AT the campground, but is about a 2 minute car ride or 5 minute bike ride to the beach access. The fishing pier is also just down the road and is huge.

The pool is nice and there is wifi (limited area, at least on our last trip). Lots to do in the area. Go ride the ferry to Dauphin Island.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #9

My Big Big Trip starts end of March Nice to hear ya'll are headin South. More room for me up North. Need to practice my Yankee talk.
Start out of New Orleans and north to Maine and return by way of Miami via Niagara Falls, 9000 plus mile. Just have to be back for August.
Open for suggestions of places to stay.
Thanks
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #10

Just for clarification this will be next summer.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

No I am leaving the end of March 2014. Fly by the seat of my pants.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Oakman that would be awesome! Where are you staying?
Currently at Island Retreat RV Park not too far from the state park.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Forest River Forums mobile app

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
My Big Big Trip starts end of March Nice to hear ya'll are headin South. More room for me up North. Need to practice my Yankee talk.
Start out of New Orleans and north to Maine and return by way of Miami via Niagara Falls, 9000 plus mile. Just have to be back for August.
Thanks
I would either head up the east coast and return through the middle of the US OR I would head up the middle and back down the coast.

In Old Orchard Beach, ME, stay at Ne're Family Campground right in town. 3 blocks from the beach, across the street from the lobster pound. Decent cost per night compared to the other RESORTS!! Actually, about half. Then, head on up to Bar Harbor to Acadia NP. If you get there before about June 20, the price is much less. The "season" starts then.

On the coast, make Hunting Island State Park in SC, a stop. Assateague NP is wonderful, Point Lookout SP in MD is great, Ocean City, MD is also fun if you like lots of people, lots of stuff to do.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
Thanks
If I were you do Niagara first on your way north you don't want to be in Maine in April or May due to the black flies (little tiny biting x@&#$%), they are nasty. They are only there in the spring. Have a fun safe trip.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #15

Thanks but I will be in Boston. Will go north to Portland and turn left. Are they inland, on the coast or everywhere?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
H2oski

Quote:
Make sure you make reservations for TopSail a year out or you many not get any. DW was looking yesterday for a week this summer and that's a NOGO.

Also checkout Fort Pickens Pensacola You will love it.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #17

More so inland, don't quote me on that but I know they are there.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #18

New England winners

We did a 17 day New England trip from Ohio up through NY, VT, NH, ME (Acadia NP), MA, RI, CT, and back. In ME, we stayed at Hadley's at Acadia National Park - it was ok. Mid-June - we missed the flies. Our highlights were Hammonasset State Park in Connecticut (on the Beach - awesome with huge sites) and Winter Island Park in Salem, Mass. Winter Island is an old Coast Guard station right on the water - very cool. Kind of run down, but cool. Don't go there if you are looking for a resort-type place. It's rustic, on the water, lots of history. There's an old light house and such. We took the commuter train into Boston each day and then back to Salem (about 25 minute train ride). We were there for the 4th of July and watched mega fire works over the bay from our site which backed right up to the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	482086_4160165040675_1550910099_n.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	47633
knutter is offline   Reply With Quote