Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,748
Not sure what your plans are in Ashville, but the tour of the Vanderbuilt estate was nice. If your schedule permits, stop at one of the lodges for a nice sit down lunch or early dinner.
__________________

__________________
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
HarleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Central Florida
Posts: 117
Still Kickin-we plan to be there 7-10 days so that is one of our priorities! So much to see, we'll make the time!
And if the BRP is a good experience, we may become regulars as an alternate route from I-95 to seeing our grandson!
__________________

__________________
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,323
HarleyBill.........

Once you see the BRP you'll know why it's considered a bucket list ride for motorcycles. Flawless pavement, virtually pothole free, no gravel (grass grows right to the edge of the pavement) and NO commercial truck traffic allowed.

That being said..........the MAXIMUM speed on the BRP is 40MPH and enforced pretty well. It's designed to be a laid back scenic route.........not to be considered an alternate to I-95. With the scenery, wildlife and scenic lookouts (more than you can count) your travel time for any given hour will NOT get you anywhere quickly.

Just sayin'
__________________

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,528
There is Meadows of Dan Campround at Rt 58 at Meadows of Dan VA Virginia just a few hundred feet off the Parkway. Marbry Mill is a nice old mill on the Parkway worth the stop RV parking in the backside also close to Meadows of Dan. Nice Winery / Restaurant Chateau Morrisette (They have a web site) near there closer to Rocky Knob(?) just off the Parkway ( Between Floyd & Meadows of Dan.) a little pricey but interestingly good food & wine tastings.

If supplies are needed there is a Walmart just off the Parkway at Roanoke VA (Should be able to see it from the Parkway) just off Rt 220 just south of the Parkway.
__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
HarleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Central Florida
Posts: 117
Kenandterry - we're all about the ride! We live 800 miles apart - now camp on the way to and fro! Trying to never be in a hurry again!
__________________
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Red Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Austin
Posts: 189
Near Asheville is Cataloochee Campground. My family spent a lot of time there from the 40's to the 80's, back when it was a more primitive campground. I spent many a summer traipsing along behind Dad as he fly fished there in Cataloochee Creek. This part of the Park was a small community back in the early 1900's. Gorgeous scenery.

They have made a lot of improvements, and you can get 38' trailers in there now. No water or electricity, though.

I plan on camping there next year!

Now - the road up used to be a windy little dirt road with drop offs on the side - you'd see old cars down there. I'm told it's paved and widened all the way up.
__________________
-Red

Big Bad Wolf - '15 Dodge Ram 2500HD 6.7 CTD / Reese 15k Pro
Wolf Den 3 - '14 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8280WS
Nights camped 2017: 12
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
HarleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Central Florida
Posts: 117
Thanks Oaklevel! Love learning about great stops...and especially where a Walmart is! We left our Walmart atlas at home! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
There is Meadows of Dan Campround at Rt 58 at Meadows of Dan VA Virginia just a few hundred feet off the Parkway. Marbry Mill is a nice old mill on the Parkway worth the stop RV parking in the backside also close to Meadows of Dan. Nice Winery / Restaurant Chateau Morrisette (They have a web site) near there closer to Rocky Knob(?) just off the Parkway ( Between Floyd & Meadows of Dan.) a little pricey but interestingly good food & wine tastings.



If supplies are needed there is a Walmart just off the Parkway at Roanoke VA (Should be able to see it from the Parkway) just off Rt 220 just south of the Parkway.
__________________
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
HarleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Central Florida
Posts: 117
Red Wolf - we're spoiled-we have a 5er 'cause we like luxury! We're meeting friend at Campfire Lodgings right outside Asheville. They love primitive in their pop up but are compromising to meet us in luxury!
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Near Asheville is Cataloochee Campground. My family spent a lot of time there from the 40's to the 80's, back when it was a more primitive campground. I spent many a summer traipsing along behind Dad as he fly fished there in Cataloochee Creek. This part of the Park was a small community back in the early 1900's. Gorgeous scenery.



They have made a lot of improvements, and you can get 38' trailers in there now. No water or electricity, though.



I plan on camping there next year!



Now - the road up used to be a windy little dirt road with drop offs on the side - you'd see old cars down there. I'm told it's paved and widened all the way up.
__________________
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Roxboro, NC
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
I'm surprised I didn't find any posts about the BRP. We are planning to spend 8 days on it, starting at Front Royal, Va and end in Asheville - where we'll spend at least a week. We plan to hike at each location, going about 100 miles a day.
There are so many campgrounds. Any to avoid? Any must sees? We've done some hiking on the AT in Va.
Thanks in advance
Debbie
We have a 30' 5er
We stayed at KOA when we went to see natural bridge. The camp is about 1 miles off the parkway and about 15 minutes from Natural Bridge.

http://m.koa.com/campgrounds/lynchburg/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
2007 GMC 2500 Duramax Crew Cab LB
2008 5th Wheel Cardinal 36LE
R Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
HarleyBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Central Florida
Posts: 117
Thanks! We like KOAs as there usually aren't any surprises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
We stayed at KOA when we went to see natural bridge. The camp is about 1 miles off the parkway and about 15 minutes from Natural Bridge.

http://m.koa.com/campgrounds/lynchburg/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________

__________________
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue ridge

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.