Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #1

Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP)

I'm surprised I didn't find any posts about the BRP. We are planning to spend 8 days on it, starting at Front Royal, Va and end in Asheville - where we'll spend at least a week. We plan to hike at each location, going about 100 miles a day.
There are so many campgrounds. Any to avoid? Any must sees? We've done some hiking on the AT in Va.
Thanks in advance
Debbie
We have a 30' 5er
HarleyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Starting at Front Royal, there is Matthews Arm, Big Meadows, Lewis Mountain, and Loft Mountain campgrounds on the Skyline Drive. If you are planning on doing about 100 miles a day, Loft Mtn would be your best bet, as that is about 80 miles from Front Royal......the Skyline Drive ends at milepost 105. Beware, all Skyline Drive campgrounds are primitive......no electricity, and no onsite water or sewer, but water is available at scattered faucets, and there are dump stations at all but the Lewis Mountain campground. You may need reservations for weekend camping, but usually there are plenty of sites available during non-holiday weekdays.

I did a bicycle trip across the Drive last fall, and camped at Matthews Arm, Big Meadows, and Loft Mountain. The missus and I regularly camp on the Drive, and prefer Loft Mountain.

Campgrounds - Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We also did a Blue Ridge Parkway trip a couple of years ago, but got pushed off the mountain due to thick fog in North Carolina. We plan on doing that again (without the fog ). I am not as familiar with campgrounds there, as we stayed at a private campground near the VA./NC border, but here is a link to the BRP campgrounds.

Camping on the Parkway - Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

Thank you for fast reply. I should have said we love our FHU's so so plan to go on and off to private campgrounds!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

You might enjoy a stop at the BRP Visitor's Center at Asheville. They have a great movie and lots of displays about the building of the Parkway. It's a very cool facility with lots of photos and artifacts.

http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/att...visitor-center

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #5

We will do that! Sorry we can't start there! But we plan on many more trips on it if it is a good experience.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

We've travelled the Skyline Drive (South from Front Royale) and through the BRP more times that I can count.........albeit always on motorcycle.

Be aware that when travelling with an RV (trailer, 5er or motorhome) that there are many tunnels along the way (more in the Southern end) with the clearance markings you MUST observe. Also, they are very dark within and our biggest fear were the numerous bicycles inside that are almost impossible to see because they have poor or no illumination to warn of their presence.

Some tunnels are straight and you can through, but the ones that curve can be quite tricky as the walls and ceiling on the tunnels are also curved. You will need maximum lighting to see your way.

Pay attention to any look outs that warn they are not for trailers.......sometimes parking can be an issue for larger vehicles.

Enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Glad you are spending some time in Asheville at the end. It's a really unique city with all sorts of great restaurants, street musicians, craft brewers, etc. Very bohemian if you like that type of thing. We love staying at Mama Gertie's Hideaway Campground in Swannanoa. About halfway between Asheville and Black Mountain and relatively close to the Oteen exit of the Parkway.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

Be aware that when travelling with an RV (trailer, 5er or motorhome) that there are many tunnels along the way (more in the Southern end) with the clearance markings you MUST observe. Also, they are very dark within and our biggest fear were the numerous bicycles inside that are almost impossible to see because they have poor or no illumination to warn of their presence.
Oh, I forgot about Mary's Rock tunnel. Thanks for posting that. The last time I did the tunnel I was on my bicycle, and had no problems with clearances, so that is why it slipped my mind.

That tunnel is listed at 12'8", but I don't know where they take the measurements. An RV may be able to go down the middle if traffic is blocked, but no since in taking a chance.....there is no place to turn around on the northern approach.

If you want to do "most" of the Skyline Drive, you can get on at Front Royal, get off Rt. 211 at Thornton Gap, go west towards Luray, follow Rt. 340 through Page County, and get back on at Swift Run on Rt. 33 near Elkton. There are no tunnels on the northern or southern section of the Skyline Drive.......just the central section. Rt. 340 in Page County is very scenic drive.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #9

Our dream was to do this on our MC, but had to leave it at home! Maybe one day...anyway, this was a tip we needed!
Thanks so much!
Debbie
Old 04-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
Our dream was to do this on our MC, but had to leave it at home! Maybe one day...anyway, this was a tip we needed!
Thanks so much!
Debbie
Mary's Rock height is advertised at 12'8" measured at the side of the tunnel. I travel Skyline drive twice a year every October and Spring with 36' 5vr. 12'3"
at the tallest point rear mounted air. If you have a front mounted air you might want to check your height load and hitched to you TV.

BTW, we camp at Big Meadows Campground... 52 mile marker every year very central to many trails and hiking. Big Meadow Has hot showers, laundry facilities, firewood, etc. Also as Stated water, dump station, plenty of water. At the Big Meadows lodge they have a full fledged restaurant and
and a Pub in the basement with occasional local entertainment. AT the entrance to Big Meadows you'll find Gasoline, a camp store, a small restaurant and a very nice visitors center with plenty of info and some interesting displays.

BTW, as stated earlier make reservations well in advance. Big Meadows is very popular. I make my reservations about 6 months in advance. Some walk up sites can be available... 221 sites total.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #11

Not sure what your plans are in Ashville, but the tour of the Vanderbuilt estate was nice. If your schedule permits, stop at one of the lodges for a nice sit down lunch or early dinner.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 AM   #12

Still Kickin-we plan to be there 7-10 days so that is one of our priorities! So much to see, we'll make the time!
And if the BRP is a good experience, we may become regulars as an alternate route from I-95 to seeing our grandson!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
Kanadian Kamper

HarleyBill.........

Once you see the BRP you'll know why it's considered a bucket list ride for motorcycles. Flawless pavement, virtually pothole free, no gravel (grass grows right to the edge of the pavement) and NO commercial truck traffic allowed.

That being said..........the MAXIMUM speed on the BRP is 40MPH and enforced pretty well. It's designed to be a laid back scenic route.........not to be considered an alternate to I-95. With the scenery, wildlife and scenic lookouts (more than you can count) your travel time for any given hour will NOT get you anywhere quickly.

Just sayin'

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #14

There is Meadows of Dan Campround at Rt 58 at Meadows of Dan VA Virginia just a few hundred feet off the Parkway. Marbry Mill is a nice old mill on the Parkway worth the stop RV parking in the backside also close to Meadows of Dan. Nice Winery / Restaurant Chateau Morrisette (They have a web site) near there closer to Rocky Knob(?) just off the Parkway ( Between Floyd & Meadows of Dan.) a little pricey but interestingly good food & wine tastings.

If supplies are needed there is a Walmart just off the Parkway at Roanoke VA (Should be able to see it from the Parkway) just off Rt 220 just south of the Parkway.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #15

Kenandterry - we're all about the ride! We live 800 miles apart - now camp on the way to and fro! Trying to never be in a hurry again!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:30 PM   #16

Near Asheville is Cataloochee Campground. My family spent a lot of time there from the 40's to the 80's, back when it was a more primitive campground. I spent many a summer traipsing along behind Dad as he fly fished there in Cataloochee Creek. This part of the Park was a small community back in the early 1900's. Gorgeous scenery.

They have made a lot of improvements, and you can get 38' trailers in there now. No water or electricity, though.

I plan on camping there next year!

Now - the road up used to be a windy little dirt road with drop offs on the side - you'd see old cars down there. I'm told it's paved and widened all the way up.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #17

Thanks Oaklevel! Love learning about great stops...and especially where a Walmart is! We left our Walmart atlas at home! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
There is Meadows of Dan Campround at Rt 58 at Meadows of Dan VA Virginia just a few hundred feet off the Parkway. Marbry Mill is a nice old mill on the Parkway worth the stop RV parking in the backside also close to Meadows of Dan. Nice Winery / Restaurant Chateau Morrisette (They have a web site) near there closer to Rocky Knob(?) just off the Parkway ( Between Floyd & Meadows of Dan.) a little pricey but interestingly good food & wine tastings.

If supplies are needed there is a Walmart just off the Parkway at Roanoke VA (Should be able to see it from the Parkway) just off Rt 220 just south of the Parkway.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #18

Red Wolf - we're spoiled-we have a 5er 'cause we like luxury! We're meeting friend at Campfire Lodgings right outside Asheville. They love primitive in their pop up but are compromising to meet us in luxury!
Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Near Asheville is Cataloochee Campground. My family spent a lot of time there from the 40's to the 80's, back when it was a more primitive campground. I spent many a summer traipsing along behind Dad as he fly fished there in Cataloochee Creek. This part of the Park was a small community back in the early 1900's. Gorgeous scenery.

They have made a lot of improvements, and you can get 38' trailers in there now. No water or electricity, though.

I plan on camping there next year!

Now - the road up used to be a windy little dirt road with drop offs on the side - you'd see old cars down there. I'm told it's paved and widened all the way up.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyBill View Post
I'm surprised I didn't find any posts about the BRP. We are planning to spend 8 days on it, starting at Front Royal, Va and end in Asheville - where we'll spend at least a week. We plan to hike at each location, going about 100 miles a day.
There are so many campgrounds. Any to avoid? Any must sees? We've done some hiking on the AT in Va.
Thanks in advance
Debbie
We have a 30' 5er
We stayed at KOA when we went to see natural bridge. The camp is about 1 miles off the parkway and about 15 minutes from Natural Bridge.

http://m.koa.com/campgrounds/lynchburg/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #20

Thanks! We like KOAs as there usually aren't any surprises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Whitlow View Post
We stayed at KOA when we went to see natural bridge. The camp is about 1 miles off the parkway and about 15 minutes from Natural Bridge.

http://m.koa.com/campgrounds/lynchburg/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
blue ridge