Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

Boone/Todd NC?

Have a family reunion in August coming up and have been thinking about taking the camper up there for it. Will be heading from Va Beach to there via VA Rt 58 west to I-85 south I assume. After that I don't remember since it has been so long since I been up there. Any suggestions on campgrounds and/or route planning?

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #2

Are you a boondocker? If so there are a couple nice campgrounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone. I have stayed at Linville Falls about 20 minutes south of Boone. Go to the BRP's website for others.

I have stayed at a private campground near Valle Crusis, Grand Farther Mountain CG. It was ok, not terrible...but it had all the hook ups.
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

We are planning on getting a site with hookups. Just can't decide on the place. Needs to be close to Boone. Seen reviews for most of them and they are all up and down,recent to dated. All seem to have beautiful scenery. So Grandfather mountain,would you return?

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
The Old Man

From I85 South, take I40 West to Winston-Salem, then US421 to Boone. Great highways all the way. There are some steep climbs going into the mountains of course, but US421 is probably as good as you're going to get and it's interstate quality with additional passing lanes for slow traffic.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks Willis. So it looks like the only times we would be pulling the trailer and off the main roads would be to get to the CG and to refuel about 3/4 of the way. Now to find the CG of choice. All we want is reliable hookups and a decent setting. Not looking for lots of activities.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Think we have decided on the KOA in Boone. Does anyone have a trip experience from there?

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I concur in that KOA might have fewest "surprises." Full hookup may be limited according to KOA site. Check and reserve early, if needed. Sea level to 4000 feet in 6 hours!!!!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Kanadian Kamper

Sam.........

My wife and I have stayed at the Boone KOA several times. (highest KOA Easy of the Mississippi) It's typical of KOA campgrounds and no surprises to dissappoint. Shopping and facilities within Boone 5 miles away.

Given you are going there for a family reunion, I'm guessing there is no doubt of when it will be and that you WILL be attending. Reserve now (open May 1 to October 31) so there's no availability issues later. You'll enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #9

Thanks for the reassurance. Not a lot I can do to make sure the place is OK for the time we are there before we get there because I am so far away. So that info was real nice. But it is all about the adventure.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #10

Sam and Tonya,
I would go back to Grandfather Mtn and if we get back into Blood Sweat And Gears, I will likely stay there again. Sorry for the late response.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #11

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I live in New York...........been making a trip to Grandfather Mountain since I was a child every year. When I had children we went to GFM every year Camping. Now my grand kids. Cant beat the senic views. Ive hiked across GFM several times. Even got the kids suck up on the mountain during some freak weather.(Had to have the Mtn.rescue squad get us down by ropes). Dumb ex-wife never forgave me for that one..kids thought it was fun. Hmmmm maybe thats why im not with her now......well thats another story. GrandFather Mountain !! The best !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

Well,well,well. Guess our minds are not made up yet then. Koa is the closest to the reunion. GFM is the middle one and raccoon holler is the furthest. thinking I want a little distance.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #13

Sam,
If yall want some distance...try Bears Den off of the Blue Ridge Parkway north of Spruce Pine. It is a nice private campground and I like it better than GFM. But, then again I like Linville Gorge in the Pisgah NF off of the BRP too, but you got to boondock it there....

Or ,you could head a little north east of the Boone Area and check out Stone Mountain SP. You got full hookups there, I think I already suggested this...not sure.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #14

Appreciate it again Smoky. The list consists of GFM,KOA,Honey Bear. GFM is the furthest,Koa is the closest. Coming from the area we live these seems more logical. Liking the pictures at Honey Bear but many sites look unlevel as can be. Trying to get the for sure date also because Bethpage crabfest is the very next weekend of the proposed dates of the reunion. Sounds like fun two weeks whenever we get to August.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
The Old Man

Bear Den is quite nice. Exit is off the BRP at NC226. My place is just a few miles from there.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #16

You know Honeybear campground is real nice, it is right off 105 and near everything, it has a nice stream and it is very quite. It does have a real good site on the internet, so you can pick your site. Some of the sites are not big enough for huge campers but we have a 20' and we picked a dandy site, very nice and peaceful, no road noise and you can enjoy all the wonderful scenery around you and nearby. It is only minutes from Boone, Grandfather Mt. We enjoyed it. I did like everyone else does walked around and wrote all the sites I might want to use next time. I did like the site we had, no one in front except beautiful foliage. Nice folks run this campground and hey they will bring your firewood to your campsite for free!

Tim and Nancy
2011 Micro Lite
Dodge Dakota 4x4
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #17

Love Bear Den been going there for over 25 years. It has gone down alittle over the years, but watching the tarp people makes it fun!
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote